bobo5

best gear...

I'll just tell you what you want to hear.
When your off student status you'll want a pretty docile canopy too. so if you were to by new.
Maybe something like:

Harness Container: Racer
Main Canopy: Spectre
Reserve Canopy: PD reserve
Automatic Activation: Vigil

Oh Racer? Forget it. Fuckin' not comfortable!
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

Spend our money on jumping instead of spending it on gear.

When you have a bunch of jumps yourself you will have an idea what you like.

If I asked you what car to buy what would you tell me?
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

im new to skydiving, ive only jumped once but im interested in buying a rig. but i have no idea what type to get. anyone have some advice on the most reliable/best rig(s)???

There is NO "BEST" gear... most of the stuff made by major manufacturers is pretty comparable.

You will find however that many people on here belive that what they have is best, and thats great.
Whats best for you will be a combination of many things, including how fat you wallet is.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Oh Racer? Forget it. Fuckin' not comfortable!

You should at least wait until you have more jumps than my dog before making such statements!:PRacers are one of the most comfortable rigs ever made.

How many jumps does your dog have?
I know Mike's dog has more jumps from 20,000 feet than I do! B|

(and probably eats better than me too! ;) )

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I agree with the people who say you should get through the student program, ect before worrying too much about gear. Also, there will be riggers, instructors, and veterans at your DZ who will be happy to help with this decision. That said, I'll give you my opinions... first what I consider the "best" novice equipment, and 2nd what I consider a good balance of cost, performance, and reliability.

"Ideal" first rig:
Container: Vector III with Skyhook
Main: Spectre or similar canopy, loaded at 1.1:1 or below
Reserve: PD Reserve, same size or one size bigger than main
AAD: Cypress II

You could get this stuff used for $3500 or less, probably more like $5500 if you bought it new. Recommend used, as you would likley upgrade some or all within 500 jumps or less.

"Budget" first rig:
Container: As long as it's modern, they're all safe... Wings, Javelin or Racer Elite/2K3 are easier to find for a good price.
Main: Sabre1. These are great canopies... take the hype that they open "brutally" hard with a grain of salt. I loved mine, and they can be found in excellent condition for a very good price.
Reserve: PD reserve or a Raven, with no more than 1 or 2 rides.
AAD: Cypress with at least 5 years left on it.

You could put together the "budget" rig for $2000 - $2500 if you are patient. Just make sure you have a rigger advising you with all purchases, and listen to him.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Harness Container: Racer

Since we generaly suggest newer jumpers continue to use RSL's I think the Racer is a pretty poor suggestion for a first rig.

IMO the Infinity by VSE is a great rig of course.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.