skybytch

Tunnel time and backpacking in Colorado (long)

It sounded like fun at the time... spend a week in Colorado with Mary and do some tunnel time and some backpacking.

Arrived in Denver last Tuesday. That's... errr.... quite the airport. :S Mar picked me up and off we went to Skyventure Colorado! Derek (hooknswoop) and Phil (riddler) played with us. I worked on mantis and didn't flail too badly, but couldn't handle more than 3 sessions considering I had just arrived from sea level! We walked over to the sushi place (John Holly's) and had an excellent dinner (those mango rolls are the shit!). After Alana arrived while we were eating, we decided that more tunnel time was in order - so we reserved another half hour for Wednesday. B|

We came back to Denver Wednesday afternoon and stopped by the REI flagship store. Holy crap! That place is amazingly huge!! It's a good thing I don't have a credit card!! Spent two hours wandering around drooling at cool outdoor equipment there, then headed back to the tunnel.

Alana met us there. I decided I wanted to try the backflying thing. Didn't have my freefly suit with me so I used one of the tunnel's suits. I sucked pretty badly (see attached pic)! But it was fun. Alana did a whole lot better at it than I did. Thanks for the coaching and catching, Derek!

Thursday morning and Mar and I started packing up the gear and planning our route for our backpacking trip. Thursday afternoon found us, our gear and the three dogs driving into the mountains along the Cache la Poudre River - awesome scenery!! We found a campsite along a dirt county road and set up camp; figured a good way to avoid altitude sickness was to acclimate slowly so we spent Thursday night at 8900 feet. After a couple beers and a nice campfire, we crashed out.

After reorganizing and packing up, we headed for the trailhead Friday morning. As we drove up, we spotted a mother moose and her baby cruising around - too cool! As we were getting our gear out it started raining. We tossed it all back in the car and waited it out. Finally got on the trail at 10:30 am. Hadn't been hiking more than a few minutes and it started raining again. Moisture would be a recurring theme throughout this trip. . .

We'd hiked about 3 miles and gained about 1000 feet of altitude when we decided to find a campsite and spend some time relaxing in the wilderness. We found a sweet spot set back in the trees; it even had a fire ring with some wet wood sititng next to it. After getting our tents set up, just in case it started raining again, we found some kindling and Mary started a fire. Dinner was sliced potatoes with beef, tomatoes, bell peppers, olive oil, and parmesan cheese; cocktails with dinner was orange Gatorade with vanilla vodka (don't laugh, it doesn't taste bad at all [:-)]. Dessert was cheesecake pudding (yes, I said pudding! in the wilderness!) and hot chocolate with vanilla vodka.

Another storm started to roll in, accompanied by some of the coolest, longest lasting thunder I've ever heard. I hit the sack as soon as the first drops of rain started falling; Mar stayed up to make sure the rain put the fire out. Neither of us slept real well that night - the thunder and lightning were awesome!

Saturday morning we woke up to clearing skies. After a breakfast of Cream of Wheat with strawberries, we packed up and hit the trail again. After all we ate you'd have though our packs would be lighter, but no. All the rain had pretty much soaked our rain flys and we didn't have enough time/sun to dry them out completely before we starting hiking. So we put them in plastic bags and packed them up separately - downside to this was the additional weight of wet gear; we ended up with packs at least as heavy as they had been when we hit the trail.

(continued in next post)

Attached pics -

1 - me backflailing in the tunnel
2 - the route we hiked
3 - my pack, ready to go at the trailhead
4 - first night on the trail campsite
5 - Mary is a pyro. That's a one match fire!!

And while you were doing all that you left Blow Joe all alone with the computer, didn't you? :P;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

And while you were doing all that you left Blow Joe all alone with the computer, didn't you?

Oh no. See attached pic (TwinLake005) - Joe likes backpacking. :ph34r:

So anyway, we got on the trail about 9:30 Saturday morning. The weather was much better; we didn't get rained on at all - probably because both of us kept our rain gear either on or strapped to the outside of our packs. After a few hours and another 500 feet or so of elevation gain, we came to a junction with the trail to Twin Crater Lakes. We hadn't planned to go up that way, but figured what the hell - the way we had planned to go would have put us in an exposed, no water area when it would have been time to set up camp.

It wasn't long before I realized this was going to be brutal. We climbed over 500 feet in less than a mile. By the time we reached the lakes at the end of the trail (at 11,200 feet msl), I was exhausted - Mary found us a spot to put our tents, made dinner (tortellini with chicken, bell peppers, tomatoes and parmesan cheese) and I laid down while she and the dogs went for a walk around the lake.

I was just about asleep when I heard a voice - "Lisa! I found the most perfect campsite!! We gotta move!! I'll carry all your shit!!" Well, hell, I thought, if she's willing to carry all my shit over there, I'm willing to get my ass up!

I ended up carrying all my shit over and it was worth it. She found the coolest spot ever - a little meadow with a rock formation that had a covered spot just big enough for my little one person tent. B| Once we had our shelters back up it was time for bed.

Sunday morning dawned cloudy and cold. I unzipped my rainfly and peeked outside to see snow on the ground. Can you say "Brrrr"?? Mar got up and got coffee going as the weather kept rolling in. We were smart enough to get our tents packed up before breakfast; good thing too since a few minutes after they were packed it started to sleet. After breakfast we figured it wasn't going to get any better so we packed everything up and headed back down the mountain.

Sunday was spent hiking in the sleet, snow, rain and lots and lots of mud. We didn't think the weather was going to get any better so we chugged on all the way back to the trailhead, packed up and drove back to civilization.

Dinner at Wendy's (mmmm.... greasy fast food!!), a cocktail or two and we were back at Mar's house, ready for bed.

Today was spent cleaning up the muddy, wet gear and moaning about our sore muscles.

Tomorrow I fly back to California; I start school next week. What a great way to end my summer vacation - tunnel time and my first multi-day backpacking trip!

I have the coolest friends ever. Lov ya Mar!! :)
Pics -

005 is Joe hanging out on Mar's pack
049 is me crossing a stream - looks almost like I know what I'm doing, doesn't it?
050 is on the climb to Twin Crater Lakes
055 is Rose checking out the sleet at the campsite on Sunday morning
060 is me checking out the clouds cover at the campsite on Sunday morning

More pics -

053 is Sunday morning - me in front of my tent through the cloud we were in
064 is one of the lakes - pretty, huh?
066 is me and Joe at the edge of the wilderness coming out
074 is a very tired bytch!
065 is me hiking in the sleet - looks like fun, doesn't it? ;) Actually, with the right gear, it wasn't bad at all.

Aw that's fantastic! Although the weather didn't cooperate with you guys, it looks and sounds like a wonderful hike! (I'm jealous) :)
g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Oh, but the weather did cooperate, if you have the right equipment. I had to special order that weather so Lisa could try out all her cool gear.

Please note the attached picture. Lisa got the nice warm, dry cave, while I had to set up my tent in the openB|
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Nondescript Red Cup Brigade will be waiting patiently with a …….. that’s right a red cup ……woo Woo!

Well it's 2:15 p.m. Colorado Time. The Bytch should be loading the plane.

Funny you mentioned the Red Cup Brigade. I met her at DIA a week ago with cups too;)

Damn, I miss that girl already. The house is sure quiet[:/] Guess I'll just have to head up to the mountains again this weekend:)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Just be getting ready as I will be heading out for my re-scheduled trip in a couple months ;) I have $$ on account with SW that I HAVE to use by Jan ;)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

For your trip we're going to have to be hitting the slopes. Lisa and I were lucky, it seems like winter is moving in early in the high country. Not sure just how many more over nights I got left in me for a cold night out.

No worries sure as heck not gonna complain about going to the slopes. I will just be happy to get out and get to spend time there with ya! even playing tourist would be fun :)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Let's not forget a trip to the Mother Ship and the Tunnel:)

Of course!!!!

Mother Ship?

You must not have clearance to learn of the "Mothership"

:ph34r:
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Looks like it was great!!! I'm so sorry I couldn't go but I was right to stay here (I'll tell you about it later).

I'm jealous. Even that damned Joe gets to have all the fun!

Is Lisa home yet? No alti-sickness??

I think the weather looked just fine for the mountains. Snow is a bonus and sleet, well, you get what you get up there :)
I'm glad you had the time together!! Next year, for sure...~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

Arrived in Denver last Tuesday. That's... errr.... quite the airport.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Landing in a big circus tent should ready you for camping. I REALLY have no idea wtf they were thinking with the entire theme. That train ride always makes me laugh AFTER I see the terminal...geeze!

Great pictures and stories, Lisa! Hope you arrived home safely and good luck next semester.~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

Let's not forget a trip to the Mother Ship and the Tunnel:)

Of course!!!!

Mother Ship?

You must not have clearance to learn of the "Mothership"

:ph34r:

Yes he has not got clearance to know the mothership. He must pay his dues to the mountain gods first. >:(
Fly it like you stole it!