indyz

Refurbished iPods?

Has anybody bought a refurbished iPod direct from Apple? I was going to buy one of the new 30GBs ($250), but I can get a refurbed 60GB for $230. They have a 1-year limited warranty so I'm not especially worried about getting a defective unit. I'm just curious as to whether anybody has gone this route, and what your experiences were, good or bad.

(Before anybody points it out, yes, I know that the new iPods have a slightly longer battery life, brighter display, and gapless playback. I don't care.)

I wouldn't touch anything refurbished with a ten foot pole. Let alone something like an Ipod.

If your not 100% stuck on the Ipod take a look at the Creative Zen Vision M, or the Toshiba Giggabeat S both are about $280 and are 30gig devices.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I know someone who has a refurb iPod and laptop from Apple. Honestly, it's a great way to save money and it has the same warranty. Apple does a complete refurb and check out on their items so they're pretty much "like-new" when you get them.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

They are good solid units that have a few scrapes on the case usually, some times they look new. I'd buy one with out thinking twice.

Don't know if you are already looking at FW, SD and TechBargins but they had some chatter on there the other day on this topic you might want to look at.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Risky, i wouldn't, main problem is battery life. Rechargables get worse and worse the more times they are used so on a refurbished one it would probably not be that good. Creative players give you alot more for your money, i would go with one of them.

Same warranty as new. I bought an Airport Extreme base station and a friend bought a 20" iMac refurbished....like others have said, good way to save a few bucks.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Thanks for mentioning the Vision M. I've been trying to decide between that and the iPod for a few days now. On one hand I like the iTunes integration, size, and battery life of the iPod. On the other hand, I like the better screen and video format support on the Zen. If the Zen had h.264 support it'd be an easy choice...

I'm pretty much set on the iPod, though, because I'm willing to bet that even with the Zen's video support, I'd still spend a ton of time transcoding.

If you buy it from the apple store they will not have any scrapes or anything. you will get it in a plain box though. none of the fancy packaging of the new stuff. I have had them without issue. I'd recomend it highly. especially if you don't want the new new 80 gig. that's my next prize I want....hmmmm....wife did just let me buy a MacBook so dooubt i'll be doing any iPod shopping anytime soon.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Thanks for mentioning the Vision M. I've been trying to decide between that and the iPod for a few days now. On one hand I like the iTunes integration, size, and battery life of the iPod. On the other hand, I like the better screen and video format support on the Zen. If the Zen had h.264 support it'd be an easy choice...

I'm pretty much set on the iPod, though, because I'm willing to bet that even with the Zen's video support, I'd still spend a ton of time transcoding.

no problem I'm not much an Ipod lover simply b/c EVERYONE has one.

When i get an mp3 player it will probly be a flash based player like the Creative Zen V plus 4gb. I would get an 8gig Zen Micro Photo but i'v heard alot of people complain of harddrive failures.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I know you don't want an iPod but PC Magazine just gave the new 8GB Flash based Nano 4.5 out of 5 stars and made it an Editor's Choice. Here's the write-up.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey