Richards

Prof goes nuts over cell-phone

It's all down to manners.

The prof did wrong (he'll probably feel sorry about it later) but the caller is an arse and will probably always be an arse.
If the call was that important, walk out of the lecture theatre otherwise STFU.

Bought one of these in 2004. End of story.

http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/Personal.htm

The best part is to use it in a bar when some idiot is on his phone. Drop him, wait for him to call back, drop him again. Hours of amusement.

It's all down to manners.

The prof did wrong (he'll probably feel sorry about it later) but the caller is an arse and will probably always be an arse.
If the call was that important, walk out of the lecture theatre otherwise STFU.

Bought one of these in 2004. End of story.

http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/Personal.htm

The best part is to use it in a bar when some idiot is on his phone. Drop him, wait for him to call back, drop him again. Hours of amusement.

COOL! I need one of those.

If a student answers a cell phone in my class - they are kicked out - for good. It is written in the syllabus. You text in class - you are kicked out for good. Also written in the syllabus.
Scars remind us that the past is real

Unfortunately, the lesson is probably lost on that particular student.... Unbelievable.

Sad but true. Unfortunatley the Student Union will probably rally behind the silly twat who lost his cell-phone and the likely result will be a policy to prevent professors from denying students their "fundamental human right of cell-phone in class"

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

you don't know that... there are a number of possible good reasons for this person to take the call. I'm not saying he should have done it while in class...

for example: it could be that this student's wife or GF is expecting a child and the person who called was his wife telling him that she is on her way to the hospital. (or worse needs a ride to the hospital)

student in question should have gotten his ass up and walked out if he had to take the call.
--
Rob

you don't know that... there are a number of possible good reasons for this person to take the call. I'm not saying he should have done it while in class...

for example: it could be that this student's wife or GF is expecting a child and the person who called was his wife telling him that she is on her way to the hospital. (or worse needs a ride to the hospital)

student in question should have gotten his ass up and walked out if he had to take the call.

Have to agree with this one. It annoys me to no end to be sitting in class, trying to understand what the prof is teaching, and have some rude fuck's cell phone go off. :S Put the frickin' phone on vibrate and if you need to answer it, leave the classroom! :S Between that and those people talking in class while the prof's trying to teach....>:(
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Have to agree with this one. It annoys me to no end to be sitting in class, trying to understand what the prof is teaching, and have some rude fuck's cell phone go off. :S Put the frickin' phone on vibrate and if you need to answer it, leave the classroom! :S Between that and those people talking in class while the prof's trying to teach....>:(

More to the point does he even have to answer it on the way out if he leaves? Will it kill him if he misses the call because he did not get out of the classroom on time to answer. Some will get up to leave but they do answer as they are leaving and talk as they exit and that is still unacceptable. Most cell-phones have call display, so if he misses the call while trying to exit the room quickly can he not simply call back?

Unfortunately this behavior is becoming more common.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I learned the hard way to put that into my syllabus--when a student answered his cell and had a conversation in the middle of my class (my first semester teaching, when I thought of students as adults). I now threaten to talk to the student's cell phone partner before kicking them out and assure them that is not a conversation they want me to have with their friends. :S

As an aside, I've kicked seven people out of my classes in the last two days (not all cell phone related). This is getting friggin' ridiculous.

in college, i had a professor that liked answering students cell phones. if you ringer was on or the phone was on and it rang in class, he would pause class and ask for the person to answer the cell phone or ask for it to be handed over. he woudl then take the phone answer it, say.. i'm sorry but this person is in class, she'll (usually it was a she) be available in 30 min.

once or twice the prof would try to have a convo with the person :D

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

As an aside, I've kicked seven people out of my classes in the last two days (not all cell phone related). This is getting friggin' ridiculous.

and I thought it was just the dummies I have over there that are problem chillen.....
:D:D:D:D
Scars remind us that the past is real

[

reply]One of my Conlaw professors got mad at a student's cell phone ringing in lecture. As she was asking people to please turn off their cell phones, another one started ringing. It was hers.

:D:D rather embarrassing for her. It can happen to anyone, however it seems that with some people it happens so frequently that I feel they just can't be bothered. It's the ones who seem to make no effort to be courteous that offend most people. In particular, answering in class and talking while the professor lectures is blatantly rude.

Cheers,

Richards