Zep

Starbucks

I was thinking they were one just time use things, like a gift card. I didn't realize you could re-load 'em

Oh definitely. When they take my card they often compliment on it b/c I've had the same one for almost a year. I had a different one before that and only switched when they came out with one I liked better.:)
Anywho....I only have one credit card, debit card and no store cards. I use my AMEX for everything, but rather than have a bunch of entries of the same thing to review each month, I just make one load onto my SBUX card online so I have one total entry.

I'm ridiculously anal and review everything down to the penny to check for accuracy (I've caught a few errors before--in my favor though.:P) so it just makes it easier. And, it's more in my face of what I'm actually spending on coffee.:D

I allow myself a "splurge" budget so that I can still feel like I'm treating myself once in a while but also retire. So something would have to be REALLY important to give up my coffee slurge.:P

P.S. If you have a card you re-load they often load extra on it for you and automatically enter you into contests.:P In addition, being a regular, I usually end up with 1-2 free lattes/week.:o
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I assume you've never bought a big-screen TV you didn't need, don't smoke, or anything else for that matter.

I don't need to run down a list of how I likely save more than most on most things or justify myself.

The bottomline is, I've done the math. I know what I can and can not afford to both have fun & retire early.

But if you really want to go there if I had to choose to do 50 jumps less/year or have my coffee. I'd choose the coffee.:P To each their own.:)

Billy managed to rack up 4,000 skydives and yet, believe it or not, HE introduced me to Starbucks (with a few other local skydivers in the area who routinely wanted to go there).:o To his credit, he didn't go there regularly.

Previously I went to Dunkin Donuts next door for my morning coffee & bagel.:P

Excuse me?.... Only 2 weeks holiday a year? What slave driver do you work for?.

Still I like your maths - a skydive a week spent on shite coffee.... bad news.

actually, i work for myself...general contractor, and i take about 17 weeks vacation a year!

i do enjoy watching people who spend lots of $ at starbucks, it was one of the only stocks that saved my ass during the dot.com fallout, that and budwiser, and of coarse....phillip morris. gotta have the fix!

Previously I went to Dunkin Donuts next door for my morning coffee & bagel.:P

now thats money well spent!

buy the way. I did a promotional tour for starbucks. Had my own personal 35 foot mobile Starbucks. anyway. Starbucks gets if unique flavor by roasting the coffee an additional step. And, the more you roast coffee, the more you remove the caffine...so that extra bitter Starbucks cup of coffee has less caffine that a good old 7/11 cup of joe.

now thats money well spent!

Certainly it was, as is my morning Starbucks latte to me.

You mentioned SBUX stock saved your bootie--do you not think it's cheating yourself to spend your money on the competitor's coffee? I certainly did when I had the stock myself.:o

You also mentioned you're a GC (which are a big part of my clientele;)), you drink coffee all day and 7/11 coffee...

You estimated $1,000/year for Starbucks, but what you did not subtract from that was what any other coffee drinker might spend. Let's say you home brew, subtract $250+/year or whatever, or if you drink 7/11 all day, subtract $500+. Thus it's really costing me 25 jumps/year more than you by those calculations. Eh, well.:P

;)

well truth be it, i buy 25lbs of beans at a time. it is Mother Parkers, grown in canada, roasted in Houston. Found it while traveling the states.
When we order from the company direct, it works out to $6/lb. including shipping. And man, does this stuff have a punch to it...really gets ya going in the morning. Btw, i was just using 7/11 as an example, I cant remember the last time i actually bought a cup of coffee...i always bring the thermos. :)
So what do you do that you work with GCs?

My points remain the same though (and just FYI this is all in good fun.;)):

1. While I don't know you, I believe it's safe to assume you DO spend money on something unnecessary that I do NOT. We just splurge on different things.

2. You didn't subtract what any other coffee drinker spends.

I can't BELIEVE what some people spend on certain things either--particularly guys and their vehicle accessories. But that's what they like and I'm certainly not going to knock 'em for it. As long as they're not claiming bankruptcy it has no effect on me whatsoever what they choose to spend their money on, so I could careless.:P

Did you know that there is a starbucks in the lower level of the Capital building in DC? At least there was one a few years ago.

Yes, I find the vast # and locations of Starbucks extremely amusing, too.:D

My senior year in high school---yep---they put in a Starbucks.:o Teachers figured it would keep kids from being late or worse; skipping first period to go across the street and get their morning coffee.:D

Back then I was an OJ kinda a morning person so it really didn't matter much to me.:)

My points remain the same though (and just FYI this is all in good fun.;)):

1. While I don't know you, I believe it's safe to assume you DO spend money on something unnecessary that I do NOT. We just splurge on different things.

2. You didn't subtract what any other coffee drinker spends.

I can't BELIEVE what some people spend on certain things either--particularly guys and their vehicle accessories. But that's what they like and I'm certainly not going to knock 'em for it. As long as they're not claiming bankruptcy it has no effect on me whatsoever what they choose to spend their money on, so I could careless.:P

i hear ya....nothing like wasting 5 grand on bling bling rims...ridiculas. not my style, i would rather do, than just look good. my "work" truck is an old beater jeep and trailer. hell, my subs pull up in 40K trucks with 10k worth of lift and rims...i just smile and look at the sky, cause thats where i spend my money.

my latest money pit is my flying trike! gotta run now, headed to elsinore to get a few jumps in....cheers!

You know, I don't mind Starbucks haters. Coffee, like anything else is certainly a personal preference.

But the whole argument about a "real" coffee or "real" latte---I'm a little lost---can someone please explain to me how your "real" coffee/latte/cappuccino is made differently?:S

It's hilarious to me the grossly anti-what's-popular people. I mean if you don't like something, fine. I'm not a big fan of the new leggings trend, myself. But generally it's the same people that will just hate anything b/c it happens to be popular. And well, that just silly.

Umm... I don't think "hate" is the word (well, at least not for me)... I simply don't like it, I don't understand people who drink this stuff, and I don't get this whole Starbucks et al. phenomena... You are absolutely right -- it's a personal preference. But... Geez, I wish I knew WHAT the f*ck they do to coffee at Starbucks to make it THAT bad. :S Sorry, I cannot answer your question -- I don't know the differences in the process, but the difference in the end result is obvious... [:/]
To see these differences for yourself, please do one of two things:

1. Go to some European country (like France, Italy, Spain, or one of the Baltic states (ex-USSR republics), and try a cup of Espresso at pretty much ANY cafe. You won't be disappointed by the quality AND the price. Besides, there's a lot to experience besides a great coffee! B|
2. Try to find some really good coffee places in your neighbourhood (hard to believe, but they are out there!) :P. If you are ever in Vancouver, try Cafe Calabria on Commercial Drive, for example. :)
As for hating something just because it's popular -- c'mon! I can understand things that are popular for a reason: design, quality, value, convenience, practicality, etc., or combination of these factors. IMHO, Starbucks popularity is based on... well... nothing. :| And this is something I don't get, no matter how hard I try. And again, I certainly wouldn't use the word "hate" -- I am generally much more moderate in my opinions... :P If someone loves this stuff -- so be it...

--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

Sorry, I cannot answer your question

Yowza, that's a long reply for an: "I don't know.":P

Starbucks popularity is based on... well... nothing.

:D

Yes, its millions of patrons pay $4 for "crappy" coffee b/c, well everyone else is.[:/]

I used the term "haters" loosely and in slang.:)

I like Dazbog's coffee better, it's a bit cheaper than starbucks, and the place by my house is owned by a lady in my neighborhood who you will see every morning in the store taking orders and making coffee. So even though it's a big chain as well it feels more hometown.
Fly it like you stole it!