brierebecca

I got the job!

I just got the offer today. Thanks so much to those of you who offered words of advice and encouragement. It is truly my dream job!

For those of you who missed the post before, I'll be working with a med mal defense firm in Chattanooga, TN. It was hard to break into the market, but I'm so glad I have the opportunity!

:)
Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

I'll be working with a med mal defense firm

I made less money as an associate doign med mal defense than anything else I could have done. I'd do med mal defense again in a heartbeat. I never had more fun at a job than defending doctors.

Think about it - you will be getting paid to ask medical experts to teach you everything they know about a certain subject. In a way, I envy you now.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Thanks so much guys! Travis and I are totally excited. It's weird to get your heart's desire. I've been thanking people and sending flowers all day (I'm sure my professor's letter of recommendation and my friend Randi's makeup advice had a lot to do with it).

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

I just got the offer today. Thanks so much to those of you who offered words of advice and encouragement. It is truly my dream job!

For those of you who missed the post before, I'll be working with a med mal defense firm in Chattanooga, TN. It was hard to break into the market, but I'm so glad I have the opportunity!

Brie

What is med mal defence? Creating an army of clones to rule the world?

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

I made less money as an associate doign med mal defense than anything else I could have done.

:$ This offer is really good

I'd do med mal defense again in a heartbeat. I never had more fun at a job than defending doctors.

Think about it - you will be getting paid to ask medical experts to teach you everything they know about a certain subject. In a way, I envy you now.

I know! This is what makes me so excited! Learning something new all the time, and defending smart people. That, and the jury trial aspect really appeals to me.

Brie

Congratulations! :)
But... I had a friend who had surgery on her hand 2 years ago and as it turns out, the doctor that was supposed to do the surgery passed it off to a resident after she went under... and the resident destroyed the main nerve in her hand - she has no function in it anymore. She's lost her job and her husband is divorcing her. As she put it, dying would have been easier.

She just settled with the hospital for 1/10th of what her medical bills will be and the loss of income has been for the last 2 years. She will never again be able to do the work she had done and had to somehow support her daughter. She said going through trial for this was worse than any pain she has experienced - the lawyers were relentless. They made her look like a money hungry piece of trash, out to make all doctors look bad. Well, they succeeded and she is having to sell her home now and she has to release custody of her daughter to her husband because she can not afford to care for her.

Please don't do that to people. I'm sure she is not the only one that this has happened to , that hasn't deserved it. [:/]
Arianna Frances

She just settled with the hospital for 1/10th of what her medical bills will be and the loss of income has been for the last 2 years.
[:/]

wow that really sucks sorry for your friend.

Usually it is the opposite way around with people getting millions of stupid and minor errors which any human can make.
As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

and defending smart people.

There is something to be said about the comfort level of defending a doctor who could not restart a transplanted heart versus a drunk driver who crossed a center divider and killed a person.

That weighed very much into my thinking on it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.