Merrick

Boogie.... The origin???

I was talking to a co-worker today about skydiving, and somewhere in the conversation I threw out the word "boogie," which was followed by much laughter, and a what the hell is that? Basically, he thought, "what a p*ssy word for a party for a bunch of bad-asses!" (didn't know you were all bad-asses did ya)....

Anyway, it got me thinking, where did it originate from, and who named it? Just curious if any of you old-timers know (hell, some of you may have been at that first boogie :ph34r:).

blues!
Merrick

boogie

SYLLABICATION: boog·ie
PRONUNCIATION: bg, bg
INTRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: boog·ied, boog·y·ing, boog·ies
1. Slang To dance to rock music. 2. a. To get going; leave: We're late; let's boogie. b. To move quickly: boogied down the road in their car.
NOUN: 1. Strongly rhythmic rock music. 2. Boogie-woogie.
ETYMOLOGY: From boogie-woogie.

boogie-woogie

SYLLABICATION: boog·ie-woog·ie
PRONUNCIATION: bg-wg, bg-wg
NOUN: A style of blues piano playing characterized by an up-tempo rhythm, a repeated melodic pattern in the bass, and a series of improvised variations in the treble.
ETYMOLOGY: Possibly from Black West African English (Sierra Leone) bogi(-bogi), to dance; akin to possibly akin to Hausa buga, to beat drums.

boogie (v.) Look up boogie at Dictionary.com
originally "dance to boogie music," a late 1960s style of rock music (based on blues chords), from earlier boogie, a style of blues (1941), short for boogie-woogie (1928), a reduplication of boogie, 1917, which meant "rent party" in Amer.Eng. slang.

Etymology: Early 20c: a reduplication of old US slang boogie a Negro performer.

edit: edits made to add more etymology and definitions from the interwebs
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What up Dave!! only 2000 or so skydives now? Man you've really been slacking off since Spaceland huh!? ;)

Yeah, all the old-timers I've ever talked to refer to them as boogies too.... I mean, why not "throw-down" or ... well damn, I can't think of anything better either! lol

Blues,
Merrick

Ha, yeah, well my jump tempo has slowed a bit over the past year and a half due to this pesky real job thing.[:/] It is nice to actually make enough money to eat, though.

Yeah, all the old-timers I've ever talked to refer to them as boogies too.... I mean, why not "throw-down" or ... well damn, I can't think of anything better either! lol

I kind of wonder it they were originally called Jump-Ins sort of like Fly-Ins that the pilots have. What we need are those guys that hang out in the History and Trivia forum.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

...in the history and trivia forum

WE HAVE A HISTORY AND TRIVIA FORUM!?!?! lol :o

[QUOTE]This is the best I could find.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you that's what I was looking for, Can't believe I couldn't find it when I searched... Thanks!

Blues,
Merrick

i AGREE WITH THE DESCRIPTION ABOVE ME .iTS RELATIVE TO MUSIC. THE ACTUAL FIRST SKYDIVING BOOGIE AT RICHMOND IN 1972 WAS MISSPELLED ON THE T_SHIRTS AS BOGGIE. IT WAS A COLLECTORS ITEM MY WIFE THREW AWAY. SHE SAID IT WAS WORN OUT. IT WAS WORN OUT BECAUSE IT WAS A COLLECTORS ITEM. I WILL NEVER FORGIVE HER FOR THAT.THE BOOGIE MAN WAS FROM A LAUREL AND HARDY MOVIE.'THE MARCH OF THE TIN SOLDIERS' IN1936 OR SO.ONE OF THE FEW MOVIES OLDER THAN ME. BT THE WAY I WAS AT EVERY ONE AT RICHMOND, ALL FREAKPORT .MISSED ONE AT QUINCY BUT MADE EVERY RANTOUL.THANKS FOR ASKING