dgw

Tracking and The Accuracy 'Trick'

Random thought.

Can the Accuracy Trick be used to (self) evaluate tracking efficiency? (Efficiency is defined as the flatter the better)

I'm barely competent to use the 'Trick' under canopy, but I find it much easier when the landing point is a long way away.

In principle, the 'Trick' should apply in a track (or any mode of flight). Has anybody tried to use it for feedback in a track?

Random thought.

Can the Accuracy Trick be used to (self) evaluate tracking efficiency? (Efficiency is defined as the flatter the better)

I'm barely competent to use the 'Trick' under canopy, but I find it much easier when the landing point is a long way away.

In principle, the 'Trick' should apply in a track (or any mode of flight). Has anybody tried to use it for feedback in a track?

Only off fixed objects where getting too close to the other side of the valley is a better metric.

When skydiving you're too high to figure out whether your track is good, bad, or indifferent.

Tracking practice jumps, so that you can have a point of reference to track relative to.

Or even big way jumps, because big way breakoffs allow you to pay attention (by necessity too) to your neighbours to the left/right of you.

If that interests you -- I suggest the Perris 50-way camp coming this September. You're almost 250 jump minimum requirement, and if you've done 20-ways (another requirement), then there you go.

During breakoff, you get to try to out-track the jumpers to the left and right of you. If you do better, you'll be higher and further away from formation center than your neighbours. You get some "tracking team" training, where you must level tracking in a close group away from formation (group of 3 to 5 trackers in tight formation) in your sector of the formation, before fanning out with the best track, often trying to beat each other's tracking ability -- you're good if you're further ahead and higher (more distance at less altitude loss)

you can also ask the jump pilot for an offset to measure distance, start at 1mi, then 1.5, then 2 if you think you're really good. that will help you determine how fast you are tracking.

Can you elaborate on this more?

Sounds interesting, I don't understand in the slightest though.

you can also ask the jump pilot for an offset to measure distance, start at 1mi, then 1.5, then 2 if you think you're really good. that will help you determine how fast you are tracking.

Get a different spot, a mile away from the DZ and track to it, then 1.5 mi, 2, 2.5... youll see how far you can track and work at getting better at it.

Or am I wrong?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Get a different spot, a mile away from the DZ and track to it, then 1.5 mi, 2, 2.5... youll see how far you can track and work at getting better at it.

Or am I wrong?

It's more difficult than that because you have to take winds aloft into account.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

This is probably not the best idea. Since you'll be the last person out and will be tracking back towards the DZ you run the risk of tracking into the groups that exited before you did.

Go on an organzied tracking jump. Ask around the DZ and I'm sure you can find someone to organize one.

Another way to check your tracking ability is to get someone to act as a reference point and track away from them (being sure that you're tracking perpendicular to jump run so you don't track into other groups). Track for your normal count, stop, do a 180 and see where you are in relation to your co-jumper. How far away are you? Are you on level? Higher? Lower?

Or am I wrong?

I'm not that silly :)

hchunter614 pointed out my main worry... surely GaryRay didn't mean get out last then track back along jumprun to reach the DZ? I know our DZO wouldn't be doing any seperate run-ins in so we can measure how far we track, I know exactly what he would say to that ;) Just wondering how he setup these "track back to DZ" jumps.

As Butters mentioned also, winds would make it hard for solid calculations in terms of speed/distance.