BIGUN

Hybrid Dive/Chest Strap Question

As one who does and endorses the merging of the two disciplines, when a FF'er takes a grip on my chest strap and punches into a stand under me, there is an inordinate amount of pressure on my chest strap.

1. Would doing these a multitude of times have an effect on the tensile strength of the chest strap or stitching?

2. Should there be things we (or a rigger) should pay extra attention to on pre-jump gear checks if we do numerous hybrids that include use of the chest strap?

3. Is this something the manufacturers should be taking into consideration to perhaps make the chest straps stonger?

4. Your thoughts on Type 17 chest straps used in hybrid dives?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

***3. Is this something the manufacturers should be taking into consideration to perhaps make the chest straps stonger?

Twenty some years ago a very close friend of mine nearly shot out of her harness on opening after a chest strap failure. We were only pulling large chucks out the door of a Beach 18. And for that I have always over built them in all of my designs. In my opinion, some things don’t need to be ¾” more cool and groovy.

Jeff

Jeff,

Been about three years since we talked... Appreciate the input. So we're good on the type 7-8 chestwebbing? My thoughts are to at least check the stitching on a regular basis.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Hey Bigun, Have those guys see if they can grab your laterals instead of a chest strap. Less chance of pulling a handle, thicker webbing, and more centered on your body, istead of pulling you (not YOU you're too large:P) head low it is pulling from your pelvis. We usually use this method and it works well on almost all rigs excetp vectors that have that stuff sewn around them.:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I agree the lateral or leg strap is what I have used. I have also heard that the chest straps might only be rated under 500 lbs. That and the fact that some people only have a few inches spare once you put it through the buckle, and if the fold over and sew done to it is not thick enough it could make it seem easy to flip back through if jostled enough?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Jeff,

Been about three years since we talked... Appreciate the input. So we're good on the type 7-8 chestwebbing? My thoughts are to at least check the stitching on a regular basis.

Hi Keith,

I don’t believe it has so much to do with the type of webbing (T-17or T8) but more how it’s constructed and attached to the MLW. You can’t build it any stronger than being wrapped around the MLW or ring and doubled. I don’t think I would loose any sleep seeing anyone hanging from the chest strap of my rigs but can’t say the same for some others I have seen.

As you mentioned, a regular visual inspection of your harness should be a reflex and not just something jumpers should do. I was once sitting in the 3 on the long ride to altitude and a crew dog was sitting not far up and across from me when I noticed something not quite right with his rig. Apparently he had been in an ugly wrap and a line burned the $#!+ out of his MLW. It didn’t take much to convince him to ride the plane down.

Jeff

2. Should there be things we (or a rigger) should pay extra attention to on pre-jump gear checks if we do numerous hybrids that include use of the chest strap?

Sufficient slack of the reserve cable, if it is too short the stretching of the whole harndess can be enough to pull the reserve pin.
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

Hey Bigun, Have those guys see if they can grab your laterals instead of a chest strap. Less chance of pulling a handle,..

Ya know, you're the first one that's brought that up to me. That's some good advice.

For a two-way with a hanger there isn't that much pressure. But for anything bigger with more hangers, we always take grips on the leg strap. It's usually more strap for the hangers to hold onto, making an easier and stronger grip. This is especially helpful if you plan to drop a knee and shred it like we do. The safety benefit is there isn't anything that the hanger can grab to cause any type of malfunction, either a handle or routing of a strap. It works well for us.
Brad

Sufficient slack of the reserve cable, if it is too short the stretching of the whole harndess can be enough to pull the reserve pin.

Also, check to make sure you have enough slack in the cutaway cable. ;)
http://planetskydive.net/ - An online aggregation of skydiver's blogs.