JENNR8R

When Was the Last Time You Donated Blood?

I did go read that after I posted. I find it odd, but you're right. they must know more about it than you. Wonder what the difference is here in the US that they don't care.....

And if you NEED blood and are a skydiver, would they give it to you? Sounds like discrimination! ;)

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I gave last month, though I'm about to do some more international travel and ruin any chances of me giving in the near future. I couldn't give for the longest time. I used to give platelets quite often when I lived in Memphis, TN.

:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

i've never liked to donate... i hate needles... but my wife really wants to donate and can't b/c of her medical condition, so I've always done it in her honor. BUT! Those bastards, they always ALWAYS take it from this one vein near the top of my forearm... i've told them over and over to NOT take it from there, but rather to take it from the vein in the crook of my elbow. If they take it from the top, it will hurt like hell and i'll bruise badly. yet, they don't listen. and I've complained and complained to no avail.

So now, no more blood from me. Just call me a turnip.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

You should kiss and make up with it. I assure you, tequila is willing to be your friend again.

Clicky

>:(

i'm sure she'll be more nice to me and my body if i don't abuse her like a cheap hooker. that patron went down like kool aid.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I always donated every 8 weeks without a problem for years and years. Then after being called up for the Army and getting all my shots (hepatitis B was included) I could not donate anymore. I got a letter saying that I may have hepatitis. I went to the doctor and got checked and am fine with not hepatitis in sight but the blood bank will not allow me to give anymore.

You should kiss and make up with it. I assure you, tequila is willing to be your friend again.

Clicky

I'm not sure I totally trust tequila. Sure, it goes down all smooth and happy, and makes like it is my bestest friend in the world. But sure as shit, it'll turn around and stab you in the back if you try to enjoy its friendship too much. It is very fickle, this tequila. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Clicky

I'm not sure I totally trust tequila. Sure, it goes down all smooth and happy, and makes like it is my bestest friend in the world. But sure as shit, it'll turn around and stab you in the back if you try to enjoy its friendship too much. It is very fickle, this tequila. :D

she speaks truth vinny.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Been donating whole blood on and off for years. Eaerlier this year, a relative of a friend needed platelets, so I've been doing that lately. It takes more time, but City of Hope where I donated at was great.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

neven donated blood. if blood is taken from me i usually have this uncontrolled reaction where I break out into a coldsweat and my bloodpressure drops. not too fun.
[:/]B|

I had this sort of reaction the first time I gave blood...nearly fainting and puking isn't a real good time. To combat this I do the following...I show up early, eat lots of doughnuts and drink lots of juice. I ask the nurses to put me in a cold part of the room and to elevate my feet while I'm donating. Works great!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

3 months ago. but here is what your town outta do. Schedule blood donation on a friday, and set up at high schools, uni's, and colleges. Give a pint o blood and 3 shots puts you out when you're boozin

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

In 1992 I got what seemed to me to be a hostile letter saying I had Hepatitis C. I was certain it was an error, because in the weeks between previous platelet donations (in which I tested fine), I hadn't been sexually active or in contact with anyone's blood.

They listened to me and agreed that it was probably a "false positive", but were unwilling to retest me. I found a different blood bank told them the story and they tested me. I have been donating there uneventfully for the last 14 years .
"And the sky is blue and righteous in every direction" Survivor Chuck Palahniuk

The reason for all the questions and screenings is the tragic infection of blood recipients with HIV and other diseases. In Canada it led to the Red Cross being removed several years ago and being replaced with a new entity, the Canadian Blood Services. (We don't have private blood banks like you do in the U.S.) It's all about the safety of the blood supply.

yes, so we now have a 'perfectly safe' but non existent blood supply.

I dontate regularly. My last one was Sept. 1 and sure enough, my mother-in-law needed it 9/11 when she had emergency surgery for colo-rectal cancer destroying her colon and rectum. I dontated a double red-cell package which takes me into a 16-week cycle instead of the usual 8.

Usually, you never know who benefits from your efforts until it is after the fact or unless you donate prior to someone's surgery in their behalf.

I wouldn't describe myself as "boring" but I am fully compliant with proper health maintenance procedures for blood donations.

Oh yes....I'm up to my 7th gallon now.
Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook

I used to donate regularly, a two gallon member in this state, a few more in Cali and FL. BUT since I travel so much now, they won't take it. I'm in with the crowd that doesn't get the restrictions. They test it anyway, so what's with all of the questions? Of course, better safe than sorry I suppose - it's gotta suck to get a transfusion and find out later it's what kills you.
Because life is an adventure - it may not be the one you planned, but then it wouldn't be an adventure!

Couple weeks ago.
They had the best brownies as the "after donation" snack. Then I ate too many of them and felt sick. :S
I wish I was eating one of them right now.:)
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."