bigway

People who know a bit about thailand

I am off to thailand for the 8th or 9th time but have never once been up to Northern Thailand i.e. ( Chang Mai ).

I only have 20 days there this time around and am trying to figure out if three days are enough in Chang Mai before flying back south.
I would have liked to ridden the elephants through the jungle, does anyone know how long this trip is?

Is there anything that is a must to do up north that i would be crazy to miss that would make me need to spend less days down in Samui?

The other question is that i have never flown domestic in thailand and am wondering if it is cheaper to buy in bangkok as i would think or online?
The online price i have is with Thai airways at $318 per person and that is from Bangkok-chang mai-surat thami-(cath the ferry to samui as i would rather the ferry than the flying) then back to sarut thami flying to bangkok.
Does this sound like a fair price to anyone that goes to thailand or should i hold out till i get there. I know flights are cheap there but $318 for three flights seems pretty cheap but not sure if it is cheap enough. I thoought domestic flights were more like $50 each way.

Any advice would be grateful. also where is the dropzone? Not really sure if i will lug my rig and gear around but at the same time know i will miss out on some insane views. Guess i can hire gear?
Thanks.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I haven't been to Thailand in a while, but have been there a few times. I LOVED Chiang Mai. I took a three or five day trek out of there that was absolutely fantastic. Just can't remember right now how many days it was...it will come to me eventually. Chiang Mai kicks ass.

Been so long that I can't really comment on airline price.

:P
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

I was in Chang Mai in 2000... depending what you want, 3-4 days should be good.

We did the elephant trekking and river rafting in a day...
The Long Neck tribe is something to see... one of the last tribes. It's a couple of hours away though.
The rain forest is incredible to walk through... I forget the name of it.

We bought 6 tickets each before we left and toured the country. I think it was under a $1000 (from Canada in 2000) Im glad we did it that way, you can drive yourself crazy wondering if you're getting ripped off there. $318 sounds like a good price.

what I missed... The train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai came highly recommended. Chiang Mai and the North Thailand region are part of the infamous Golden Triangle... where Thailand, Laos & Myanmar Burma meet... on the Mekong River. Im sure a spectacular ride.

It is fun bartering with them... the trick is making them laugh... just laugh alot and they will go down 80% most times... it gets crazy though.
You said you have been there before... so I don't need to tell you about the great shopping, thai massages, food, and beautiful scenery.

enjoy The Land of Smiles :)

Yeah, i can not wait to get back there.

The train sounds like something i should do have always been meaning to just first class is always booked out and i have heard the other classes are just terrible.
Last time we tried for a train we ended up on a VIP bus and that was just drinking the whole way up there downstairs on the circular couches.

If you find out what the rain forest is called let me know.
Thanks.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Yes... I forgot, that was first class all the way.
Defiantly affordable and worth it.

I got reminded that the rainforest was our trip in Beijing.
It was pretty amazing there too :D

Have you been to Ko Samui? we got rained out and skipped it and headed to Phi Phi Island.

Koh samui and panyang(sp) been to both places around 6 different times. Will be there for full moon party in december. I am planning on spending 10 days between the 2 islands, these islands are where i find my peace in life and at the same time where i have the time of my life.
I think i will take the train to chiang mai for 3 days and then i could fly to Koh samui but think i will just fly to the ferry port as i find the ferry on the way to koh samui is where the adventure and the sun burn begins.

Fuck i can not wait for this, i use to go every year but have not returned in two or three years so am getting very anxious. 4 pounds for an air conditioned cabin on a beach under a palm tree waking up to watermelon, mango, papaya and melon for breakfast, heading off for a liquid lunch on the beach and finishing the nights off with many 'Thai Buckets'!! ( bottle of vodka, bottle of thai red bull and a can of coke for a couple of dollars in a sand bucket)

As anyne been to pattaya? Kind of wondering if i should go there or if it is too package holiday like phuket?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

If your want to get into the Hills and meet the people and 3 days is not long enough, if you want to tick it off your list than 3 days will be fine. There is so much more to Thailand than just the KOHS (islands) resorts Chang Mai Changi Rai areas are spectacular, if you can spen some time up north pop into Laos, or slip up to see Anka Wat in Camobodia.B|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Been to laos also been to cambodia. The guy promised us the ride on the back of the truck would only be 11 hours[:/] nice bumpy roads needing to take a piss the whole way, If i remember correct the drive was 20 something hours over bumpy dirt roads, real let down but awesome once we got there.

Your answer was what i was looking for, 3 days is not enough in chiang mai, no i dont want to just cross it off my list, no point going there for that, i learn things from each different part of the world i go to.
I am not really bothered about seeing this tribe with the long necks as i have been reading about them and they stopped this practise until they realised tourists would pay for photos, so kind of would feel like an amusement park to me and that does not interest me.

Does anyone know the city that is over run with spider monkeys?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Def buy the Domestic flights once in Thailand, incredibly cheaper.

If your interested in cooking, take a Thai cooking class in Chang Mai.

As for Hilltribe Treks, they've only started asking tourists for money because they think that we all work for National Geographic and get paid for the pictures that we take. It's still an incredible experience, but you would need 5 days to do it.

Def buy the Domestic flights once in Thailand, incredibly cheaper.

If your interested in cooking, take a Thai cooking class in Chang Mai.

As for Hilltribe Treks, they've only started asking tourists for money because they think that we all work for National Geographic and get paid for the pictures that we take. It's still an incredible experience, but you would need 5 days to do it.

Thanks for that, exactly what i was looking for. Do you think i buy the tickets on khao saun road or would it be cheaper if i went somewhere else in BKK for the tickets?

Think i will leave a hiitribe trek for another time.
After spending three years in this shitty weather they call england i think some kick ass sun lying on a hammock with white sand eating fresh fruit is exactly what i need.
Wish time would go a bit quicker.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Do you think i buy the tickets on khao saun road or would it be cheaper if i went somewhere else in BKK for the tickets?

You CAN buy treks on the Khao San road, but just do your research with some of the travellers staying there. Its a real hole and you can be in danger of being ripped off. It was my least favourite place in a year and a half travelling. Soon as i got out of BK however i was happy!

(You can actually buy all sorts of stuff on that road, however some involve being executed in a Thai prison and others involve nasty visits to the Clap Clinic.)

NOTE - I DO NOT KNOW THIS FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!!!! :D
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I have had enough of malaysia, am leaving indonesia so i have a place to visit on holidays that is not too far from home.
Think i will buy my tickets on saun road. I hate trying to plan thailand, it never goes to plan.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I have had enough of malaysia, am leaving indonesia so i have a place to visit on holidays that is not too far from home.
Think i will buy my tickets on saun road. I hate trying to plan thailand, it never goes to plan.

Hey... I live in thailand, I know a ton about it, someone above mentioned that you should use the domestic airlines and I fully agree.

Here is a link to the several very cheap airlines in thailand.

www.airasia.com
www.nokair.com
www.fly12go.com

There you an find flights around 25-40 one way so if your making 6 flights its gonna be right around 240ish dollars.. I got a flight to suratani for 10 usd.

if your interested in some less touristed places in chiang mai then let me know.

Send me pm through the forums

Take Care

Sean
Sean In Thailand