ACMESkydiver

The Weekly RUNNERS REPORT!

Ok, last night I did session 1.2 (part 2) and it was great. But afterward I noticed that my right thigh was a little swollen, and then it started to hurt. And today it's not swollen anymore, but it's pretty painful. It's not excrutiating, but it's definitely more than just regular soreness. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

does anyone know anything about running at higher altitudes?

i was running 5 miles a day in ohio about 4 times a week. i stopped running for a few months during my move to denver. i went out last week for the first time on 2 different days and found it very difficult to run/breathe. to the point that i had to walk instead of run. i'm thinking i', gonna have to change it up to working out at a guym instead.

I have lived a mile high for 7 years now and I stil become extremely winded when exercising. I am MUCH better than when I first moved here though. So hang in there and be patient.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I get odd aches sometimes... I find that I run way different on the treadmill than I do outside and I have to be careful not to hurt myself on the treadmill. Take the day off, see how it feels. Does it feel like a pulled muscle?

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

i get runners toe, if you dont know what that is, its where the tips of your toes get bruised and sometimes bleed from running so much, only painful till you get used to it, i get little blood blisters on the tips of my toes

i live in germany at a high altitude and its difficult to run because the ai os thiner there, id have thought with all the trees it wouldnt be a problem
Fly it like you stole it

wow..i just found this thread last night and its exactly what i've been looking for for months!!! i keep trying to get back into running but never knew how to ease my way back in, so it was failure after failure...until now!!! thank you thank you thank you acme!!

i completed week one day one about 30 minutes ago...it wasn't nearly as difficult as i thought it would be!

one problem i do experience frequently is numbness in my toes after extender periods of cardio (elipticals and jogging mostly). anyone know what thats about? i bought new asics running shoes that fit my foot perfectly so i know its not a shoe issue [:/] any hints?
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

I have the same problem. Never knew why... it IS worse with the shoes that I have that are too tight. Make sure there is enough cush up by the toes.

Yes, you did say they fit perfectly. Just a thought. Maybe tying them too tight? Maybe awkward foot positioning while stepping?

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

wow..i just found this thread last night and its exactly what i've been looking for for months!!! i keep trying to get back into running but never knew how to ease my way back in, so it was failure after failure...until now!!! thank you thank you thank you acme!!

i completed week one day one about 30 minutes ago...it wasn't nearly as difficult as i thought it would be!

one problem i do experience frequently is numbness in my toes after extender periods of cardio (elipticals and jogging mostly). anyone know what thats about? i bought new asics running shoes that fit my foot perfectly so i know its not a shoe issue [:/] any hints?

A few of the less obvious possibilities are that you have too much motion control in the shoe. If the shoe's arch-conformity is pressing into the bottom of your foot a little more than it should, that would possibly cause numbness in the toes. The other possibility is like bloody_trauma suggested, that you're pounding your feet. The lighter your feet fall, the more efficient you'll be. Right now, it doesn't matter if I'm running 3 miles at a 8.5 minute pace, or 1.5 at a 7 minute pace, nobody ever hears me coming. My feet are 95% silent right now, which means I won't get as tired as quickly.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

as one would think, in the armed forces unless your a pogue you do alot of pt and that means alot of running so we get used to our physical activity and adapt to it via
strength, flexibility, endurance, and balance.
these are the four key points to exersizing and being profiecient at it. some of the thngs we learn when we start our activities, are that,

never stretch a "cold muscle" ie, a muscle that hasnt been moved in any capacity in a long period of time, that means when you wake up don't go straight into a stretch, you'll injure your self that way, but you will also injure yourself if you don't stretch. when you get out there pick up a lite jog in place, rotate your neck, swing your arms in circular motions and get your blood flowing.
after that stretch out the key parts of your body and anything else you can think you might need to stretch, the abs the lower back the upper back, your hamstrings, your thighs, your arms, your calves, everything, running uses pretty much all the muscles in your body depending on how you run

like the previous poster stated the less force you exert on your body the better you will run, so try to keep it low impact unless you are sprinting hard. so just relax, let your feet strike the ground, relax your ams and your wrists and just let them flop, practice running with the different muscles in your legs, youll be surprised just how many different muscle groups you can hit by just changing your gait, eventually you'll be able to use them all together efficiently.

the fit of your shoes is very important, there different types of arches, some have a wide arch, a narrow arch, or a normal arch, go check out New Balance and take a look at what type of running shoe you need, the good thing about NB is that they sell a variety of widths and styles, and one note on that the higher number of the shoe the more cushioning it has

also check to see how your feet strike the ground, are you a heel striker? an over or under pronater? sometimes thats a serious hindering issue for some. but for others its no big deal, i myself am a heel striker and it works well for me.

and my last thing is that caffiene in the morning, like maybe a shot of espresso or cup of coffee, helps you to run some how, i read somewhere that it stimulated your hormones. and it gives me the little kick i need in the AM to get going on the trail.

oh also, practice your breathing while you run, i think its in the mouth out the nose, but don't quote me on that, thats the reason why you get that pain in your side when you run is because you breath in through your nose, don't know why it does that, but yeah practice circular breathing, inhale and exhale evenly and so that you don't wind yourself, oxygen is what keeps you running, if you have trouble breathing when you run try extending your neck by lookin up, sometimes it also help you to endure to your mark by just zoning out on the sky but please be aware of your surroundings

one last thingyou should always run with a partner to avoid assault, its sad but it happens, and if you run when its dark wear reflective clothing or carry a luminescint device like a chem like or flash light.

happy running and feel free to ask any question you think i might be able to answer
Fly it like you stole it

Just some minor points on what you said trauma. With the cold muscle thing, the best thing you can do is a short and light jog on your way to the track, or from the parking area to the trail, or from whatever short distance away from your running area. Even 30-45 seconds of very light jogging can "prime" your circulation for a good run.

As for proper body position when you run, check out The Complete Guide to Navy SEAL Fitness by Stew Smith. It's probably very available at a local Borders or Barnes & Noble here in the states. If that's not available, check Stew Smith's website, www.stewsmith.com, and that should give you some ideas on how to run more efficiently.

As for motion control, it all comes down to whether your ankle rolls outside or inside. If it's outside, it's over-pronation, and if it's inside, it's under-pronation. Very few people can successfully run as more than minimal under-pronators, but many people can run with up to severe over-pronation. It's up to you to judge how much your ankle rolls inside or outside, and if it looks more serious than just a touch of outside roll, then you're probably a moderate-to-severe over-pronator. In that case, look up motion control running shoes and find some that will give you medium to high motion control.

I've heard that caffeine can be a help and a hindrance. It can help to boost your blood a little bit, give you a little jolt to get moving, but it can also dehydrate you quicker. Because your blood's on "speed mode" so to speak, you're burning nutrients a bit quicker, and you'll need to drink a little more water or electrolyte-heavy drinks to bring your body back into balance. Remember, balance is key to all workouts.

As for breathing, this is the complicated one. You had it the wrong way trauma. But that's OK, it's an easy thing to overlook. The best respiratory pattern for running is a long inhalation through the nose with a long exhalation through the mouth. It should almost be a yawn. Breathing in through the nose is important because you're meant to breath through your nose. Your respiratory system's primary intake orifice is the nostril. So breath in through your nose, and breath out the CO2 through your mouth. Also, bear in mind that breathing in through your mouth can dry out your throat, making it harder to intake fresh oxygenated air (friction inside the mouth and throat), and can build up CO2 in your system, which is the quickest way to cramps in the lungs and diaphram, otherwise known as "stitches."

Sorry for the novel, but hopefully it helps just one person. Good luck.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

I did 8.5 yesterday, MCM next Sunday.

Pray for me!!!!

Arvel

GO YOU! Couldn't be any worse than Chicago was today, I heard low 40's and wind. Uggggh...

MCM ROCKS - Next to NYC, my favorite Marathon. :)

I've got two weeks until NYC. I start tapering today...

As for breathing, this is the complicated one. You had it the wrong way trauma. But that's OK, it's an easy thing to overlook. The best respiratory pattern for running is a long inhalation through the nose with a long exhalation through the mouth. It should almost be a yawn. Breathing in through the nose is important because you're meant to breath through your nose. Your respiratory system's primary intake orifice is the nostril. So breath in through your nose, and breath out the CO2 through your mouth. Also, bear in mind that breathing in through your mouth can dry out your throat, making it harder to intake fresh oxygenated air (friction inside the mouth and throat), and can build up CO2 in your system, which is the quickest way to cramps in the lungs and diaphram, otherwise known as "stitches."

Some people's nostrils are small and cannot supply enough air under conditions of vigorous exercise. Sooner or later, you will be breathing through your mouth during strenuous exercise.
I believe that it is important to train yourself to properly use your diaphragm to fill the lungs completely.
On inhaling, train your abdomen to expand, allowing the diaphragm to expand to its fullest extent.
Upon exhaling, contract the abdomen and force all of the old air out of your lungs.

That's true as well in some cases. Luckily I don't have the problem of too small nostrils. If you do have that problem, however, you might be better off training to breath in through your mouth. As for the complete use of the diaphragm, that's why I said it should be like a yawn. I've always been told not to make it a long and forceful intake and exhale, because that tends to build bubbles in the fresh oxygen intake, which can accelerate the onset of CO2 induced cramps. You can survive longer if you make your breathing long, regular, and thereby efficient.

Ah yeah, OK, so you guys are trying for the 5k. 3 miles is fun. 6 miles is no fun. Early last semester, sometime around late February, after getting back from my semester internship in Washington, DC and overworked shins and knees, I managed to blow the 3-mile mark out of the water. I ran it in somewhere around 23 minutes. Just over 7:30 per mile. I decided after a few days of light lowerbody work to recover, I'd run 4 miles for the first time in over a year.

Only one problem: I felt like a badass by that point, and when I went back to the treadmills in the school gym a few days later, 4 miles came and went, 5 miles... see ya. I came to 6 miles, and thought, "Well, I could do another mile, but I don't want to push it too hard." 6 miles was done in less than 54 minutes, under 9 minutes per mile.

I continued running 6 miles every other day into mid-March, at which point I took a bad step, rolled my ankle slightly, and my right lower leg stopped keeping up. I was looking forward to a 6 mile run in Georgia over spring break, up and down the Sink Trail, "3 miles up, 3 miles down." Those of you who've seen Band of Brothers know what I mean. Unfortunately with an injured ankle, that just wasn't going to happen. I kept my running shoes at home, and came back a week later knowing how badly running injuries can mess up one's rhythm. Haven't run 6 miles since then, and only Friday finally got back over the 3-mile hump.