PLFXpert

Help With Evil Ideas to Stop Speeding Neighbors

I live on a freaking culdesac and the woman who owns the house on the end moved to Hawaii and decided to rent, rather than sell.>:(

The renters now at the end are royal speed racers; putting the pedal to the metal up and down our culdesac any time they come & go.

Most of the home-owners on our street have pets and most have small dogs they walk. Many have cats as well. We had a speeder run over a neighbor's cat before (prior to the racing renters) and it was devastating. I'm so scared for Zoe' who loves to play outside for a couple hours/day. I'm scared for Cruzer who loves to race outside and run all around to greet Billy when he gets home.

I'm scared for the little ol' lady who walks her little 'ol dog about three times/day down our street.

Another neighbor has called the police and I definitely do see a police car troll down our street now once in a while, but never (sadly) when the >:( renters are coming or going.

If I sound hostile toward renters it's b/c as a home owner I've come to realize why people despise having renters in their communities now. Why, just b/c one doesn't own the property, does one not give a shmack about anyone living around them or how they treat the property they live in?

I used to rent. I have friends that rent. We were always respectful of the neighbors and the place we rented. I know a lot of other renters are this way as well. It just seems like these renters are NEVER the ones that move into your community.

Our city has strict renting laws. In fact, there are no apartments anymore; only condos. And there can only be two people on a property lease--so why are there four people living in this rental w/ four cars and all their friends' cars always parked all around the culdesac making it difficult to turn around and all of them speeding their way down before arriving and parking?[:/] The police actually did say something about their parking situation, and guess where they park now? Ans: All over the property-owner's lawn; or at least what used to be a lawn.

Anywho...I could go on...but my main issue is the speeding. Plenty of neighbors have said something and they don't seem to give a rat's bootie.

It's time for more creative tactics to cease the excessive mph. Any suggestions? >:(

:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

There's always having a building project in the front yard, and leaving the occasional unexpected 4X4 across the street.:)

You could also contact the owner and let her know about them trashing her lawn and speeding (in that order), and about how many people are living there -- it's possible she doesn't know.

Ask her if she has an agent to represent her, and talk to them. Good luck; this situation really sucks.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

First.. Walk out in the middle of the street, Stop them and tell them to slow the Fuck down.

If it continues, Get a Camcorder. Video them speeding through the neighborhood. Send one copy to them and send one copy to the local Police Station.

Lastly.. Talk to the City about getting speed bumbs installed.

Thanks Wendy. We (neighbors) actually have tried all of the above (except the 4 x 4:D). It would seem the contact info the home-owner left is no good.[:/]

She's not the type that would want her yard trashed, that's for sure. But perhaps purchasing a new lawn, carpet & Lord knows what else when she returns is small potatoes to her. Maybe not. But no-one can reach her.

We have two other homes nearby that also are rented; and just went rental recently. We knew both owners and understand why they rented--if you don't have to sell (ie: don't need the $$$) right now then now is definitely not the time to sell. Both had to move due to their job.

We've had issues with all the rentals & their renters. The city is well-aware of the problems. They are actually in the midst (so we're told) in revamping the rental laws (making them more strict).

Now, I'm actually very unbiased on this issue b/c we will DEFINITELY be renting this house when we buy our 2nd home. There is no way I'd sell it. :)
So, I'm definintely keeping both sides in mind on the issue. But frankly, if you don't need the money that bad (ie: don't have to sell, might as well rent for now) then you'd think they'd hold out for the lil 'ol lady renter.:P

Speed bumps--Talk to the police and/or city and see if you can get a grant that will cover part of the cost. Have the neighbors all pitch in to cover the rest. And just a warning in case you live somewhere that has an actual winter, in my old townhome complex we had to put them up in the alley to prevent drivers that thought they were participating in the Indy 500 when they hit the alley. Because of snowplows, we had to take them down every fall and put them back up in the spring. That is a cost that the townhome association incurred, but well worth it.

I say the use of a 4lb molecular agitator against the windshields. Just might impair their vision enough, they'd have to slow down.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

No HOA here.:)
Thank goodness.

I realize this is a scenario that one would be very appreciated, but overall my vote is still NO on the HOA.:P

The city has enough laws anyways where it's not too big of an issue, usually.

:)

A molecular agitator. Yes!

Egg-cellent.>:(

More suggestions like these, please.

Let's see, so far on my shopping list:

1. One 4 x 4 (can be used repeatedly. don't want to kill more trees than I have to).
2. Four molecular agitators.

Thanks for the pms!

Before I get more of the same suggestion, yes I'm aware of how to look up the home-owner's address.

But, it was a good thought to send my way b/c I know the neighbors have tried calling & e-mail but I doubt if any have actually written a letter. I'll suggest it.:)

First, carve a jack-o-lantern.
Second, write some sort of threatening note. Or one that simply says "YOU"
Attach the note to the pumpkin with a knife and leave on neighbors doorstep.

I'm not sure how effective it will be with the speeding, but it may freak them out a bit.B|
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

You said you talked to them about the situation. Maybe you have already done this but it is just a suggestion.

Get a few neighbours together and go over there and get them all together and talk to them. Rather then being loud and angry with them causing them to get defensive, why dont you all calmly explain to them that there is elderly, dog, and children in the neighbourhood and you dont want anything really bad to happen. Ask them calmly to please not speed in the area. If they dont listen and get rude with you pull out your cell phone and call the police infront of them.

If the above doesnt work, throw your pumpkin through their windshields:ph34r:

Q. Why do birds sing?
A. Because they dont have to pack when they land

First, carve a jack-o-lantern.
Second, write some sort of threatening note. Or one that simply says "YOU"
Attach the note to the pumpkin with a knife and leave on neighbors doorstep.

:D

I love it! It's festive. It's fun.

The innocent looking paper bag in the middle of the street.

With a cinder block in it.

Egg-cellent. >:(

It's annoymous. It gets the point across. And can be conveniently located where only they would run over it.

I'm looking for >:(.

If I wanted nice I'd go buy some lollipops and hand them out at the finish line, aka: the end of their driveway.:P

I'm not sure how the other neighbors approached them. One might have been stern as that's just him--he's older, he's bald & he doesn't take any shit. I love him!:D But the other ladies who said they mentioned something to them are very nice, & I can't imagine them having been rude about it.
[:/]

tell them if they ever do that in the cul-du-sac again you gonna cut thier head off and and put it on your antenae, and then drive around the neighboorhood.

na prolly should do that, cuz then when they did it youd have to cut thier head off,

and then the neighbors would say
"Is she out of her fucking mind? She really is out of her fucking mind"

dane cook joke, someone had to have gotten it
Fly it like you stole it