udder

Brake settings and openings

First, I am not a canopy designer.

Short answer:
Depends on the type of canopy. Changing the brake setting will usually affect snivel, inflation time and heading performance. Do not mess with it if you don't know what your doing:)
/D

The effect varies. An extreme case is where the brakes are not set at all. For some canopies it results in very long snivel, and in others it results in very hard openings. Are you tempted to change your settings? If so, why? The very best source of info will be the manufacturer, who, presumably, has experimented with the settings.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I got my brakes lines replaced and the lineset must have 400 jumps on it. And I swear my openings have been harder since having it done... And PISA dont have a big customer relation dept at the moment:P
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

I cant tell wich PISA canopy you are jumping, but I had pretty much the same deal happening for me when I lenghtened my brakelines on my earlier canopy. I kept having some hard openings also after relining the canopy.

Anyhow I dont see why lenghtening brakelines would cause this, since it is done always under the brake locking loop so it doesnt affect the brakeline lenght on opening..

If you are jumping Hornet like I did. I recommend you let your rigger modify your slider. (pocket or change it to a bigger one)

The brake loop is relative from the tail to the "A" line canopy attachment. My sabre II is about 2 1/2 inches . If you get line lengths from the manufacturer It will also tell you your lower steering line. Mine was 105 5/8. After 600 jumps it shrank to 101.That meant my tail was over 4 inches lower than specs. It would open and slider stays up. If much lower you get a rocking that will usually have the nose catch the pilot chute., etc etc. I had a Unit# 26 and got a notice to move the brake loop 3 inches never said up or down . I un finger trapped the loop and did a magic marker dot. I would let the dot be up 3 inches, from the steering ring then daisy chain the rest It would open OK sometimes the dot was on the ring and sometimes 3 inches below. It worked better below on hot humid days and above on very cold dry days.If the tail is to high your canopy charges and slow openings again. Glad they arent around any more but a Vector High Lifter 360 reserve will not stop rocking until the brakes are released. It scares the hell out if the student

I will get the line lengths this eve. So with a Sabre2 the shorter the lines, and hence the deeper the brake settings the softer it would open/snivel more?

BTW I jump a Hornet, and my packjobs are a reflection on me, and I aint pretty:P
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

> So with a Sabre2 the shorter the lines, and hence the deeper the brake
> settings the softer it would open/snivel more?

On the Sabre 1, shorter brake lines seemed to cause _harder_ openings. I don't think there's a hard-and-fast rule.

BTW I jump a Hornet, and my packjobs are a reflection on me, and I aint prettyTongue

Don't worry to much about it. Being pretty is not the most important thing. That's enough if you have trust in your packjob and you don't make any major/fatal fault ;).

I know a jumper, she can not pack her newish Sabre2 in 20-30 minutes, but nitpicking about everything...:S

I got my brakes lines replaced and the lineset must have 400 jumps on it. And I swear my openings have been harder since having it done... And PISA dont have a big customer relation dept at the moment:P

Often when a lineset is replaced, a drastic change in openings is experience, somtimes for the better and sometimes worse.

What is not often noticed is the gradual change in openings that happens over the life of the old lineset.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.