NickDG

FAA Going "Paperless" . . .

Rigger's can kiss their paper "ticket" goodbye!

Gone will be the time honored sayings like, "There's old Bob, he's sitting on every ticket the FAA ever issued."

Or, "Oh shit, the feds are gonna pull my ticket!"

We will, I suppose, only exist in some FAA mainframe, at least, until some hacker wipes us all out.

On the other hand, for over twenty years, I've been ready to "produce" my ticket when asked by an "authorized agency" but so far, no one has ever asked . . .

http://www.landings.com/evird.acgi$pass*90469989!_h-www.landings.com/_landings/pacflyer/mar5-2007/Mn-25-no-more-paper.html

NickD :)BASE 194

Paper tickets are on their way out, but our rigger certificates won't be relegated to bits in a machine. The paper "certificate" is being replaced with a plastic version. Riggers will still need to have the "ticket' available for inspection, so the only change is the material it is made of.

I replaced my paper pilot certificate with the new plastic version in January and got a replacement plastic riggers certificate at the same time. I guess it's alright. I also have the original paper certificate for posterity so there really isn't a loss.

The FAA is also proposing to add a photo to the pilot certificate, but so far they haven't published that rule. The sticky point is how to get the photos without burdening the pilot community. One proposal is to have photos shot when a medical certificate is issued. That's still a ways off, and it's unclear if photos will be added to the certificates of airmen other than pilots. We will just have to wait for the NPRM to find out about that one.

A replacement plastic certificate costs just $2.00, and can be ordered online or through the mail. Check out the FAA site at: http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/certificate_replacement/.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Thanks for posting the link. I never bothered to update to the plastic card cause i was too lazy to find the form. I'm printing out the form right now though. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Congress mandated that airman certificates include a photo. The FAA is still working out the details. Congress told us to, but didn't give us the funding.
They are issuing some photo airman certificates on a trial basis to FAA employees. One of my coworkers got one the last time he was in Oklahoma City. Damndest thing, it has an expiration date of five years. We assume it's only the picture that expires, but the reg still says "until surrendered, suspended, or revoked."
Last I checked, it shouldn't cost anything if you request to have a number other than your SSN on your ticket.
Blues,
Henry

Gee, you'd think they'd send us a letter or something.

Anyway, thanks for the link. Just updated my A&P and Rigger's ticket and finally had my SSN removed.

However, when my BASE number card requires a photo ID I'm quitting for good . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

You'll get the new card in about two weeks. Real nice picture of the Wright Brothers at Kittyhawk. What I don't like is, they up-date the date. I've had my ticket since 1993 and to look at my new card, it looks like I just got it last November! No biggy... I know how long I've had it.

Chuck

What I don't like is, they up-date the date. I've had my ticket since 1993 and to look at my new card, it looks like I just got it last November! No biggy... I know how long I've had it.

Chuck

They (Oklahoma city) have always done it that way. Makes it really difficult for us. Like when someone comes in to get their IA. If they have recently changed over to a non-SSN certificate number, the database won't show that they have been an A&P for the prescribed number of years. A real pain to have to keep the mechanic waiting while we call OKC and verify that he/ she has been an A&P for three years.
Don't even get me started on the picture. Why didn't they use a pic of Charles Taylor for mechanics certificates?

What I don't like is, they up-date the date. I've had my ticket since 1993 and to look at my new card, it looks like I just got it last November! No biggy... I know how long I've had it.

Chuck

They (Oklahoma city) have always done it that way. Makes it really difficult for us. Like when someone comes in to get their IA. If they have recently changed over to a non-SSN certificate number, the database won't show that they have been an A&P for the prescribed number of years. A real pain to have to keep the mechanic waiting while we call OKC and verify that he/ she has been an A&P for three years.
Don't even get me started on the picture. Why didn't they use a pic of Charles Taylor for mechanics certificates?

What a hassle. That's just part of 'government gridlock' and 'it ain't broke... don't fix it' thinking on their part. At one of the Symposiums, an FAA rep., stated that, they are more concerned with matters of aircraft and in so many words, if riggers have a problem, we should keep it amongst ourselves. Not that I want any interference from the FAA. Maybe, we should form our own licensing and regulatory board and really keep rigging amongst ourselves.

Chuck