ExAFO

New kind of Phishing?

Anyone else getting spammed with "stock tips" that slip by Yahoo's filter with unrelated subject lines and what seem like snippets from novels?

WTF is this? Just another attempt to get us to respond?

It's amusing, albeit irritating.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Anyone else getting spammed with "stock tips" that slip by Yahoo's filter with unrelated subject lines and what seem like snippets from novels?

WTF is this? Just another attempt to get us to respond?

It's amusing, albeit irritating.

the snippets from novels are so the mail system thinks it's an actual email as opposed to a jpeg of words, which is what the stock tip is.

They are not getting past my filters but I am seeing them in the spam file. Stock tips have just started in the last month or so. I win the lottery once a week, and a couple times a month, an unknown relative of mine in a foreign country dies leaving me cash. I figure by Christmas I can retire.;)

VIRTUS JUNXIT MORS NON SEPARABIT

I've been getting them too

I made a new filter in my outlook express that takes any message with the string "projected:" in it & throws it in the spam file

All the ones I've been getting have "projected:" in them referring to the stock price.

People with lots of money buy up cheap stocks, spread word about them to persuade others to buy them, and then dump them leaving the 'tip'-recievers holding the bag. This is just a new face on an old game.
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

It's called "pump and dump". These guys buy a bunch of shares of some cheap, thinly-traded company (not many shares traded per day.) Then they send out these emails, and apparently, some people belive them and buy the stock. The volume pushes the price up a significant percentage (these stocks sell between 1/2 a cent and a few bucks per share). Once the price rises, the originators of the spam sell their shares.

I was curious about these, so I watched a few of them for a few days each. The volume does increase greatly, but they don't always go up. The do seem to always go down.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

It's called "pump and dump". These guys buy a bunch of shares of some cheap, thinly-traded company (not many shares traded per day.) Then they send out these emails, and apparently, some people belive them and buy the stock. The volume pushes the price up a significant percentage (these stocks sell between 1/2 a cent and a few bucks per share). Once the price rises, the originators of the spam sell their shares.

I was curious about these, so I watched a few of them for a few days each. The volume does increase greatly, but they don't always go up. The do seem to always go down.

which begs the question, does your broker allow you to short sell these stocks? Scottrade doesn't allow shorts on any stocks below $5
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.