696GrocuttT

Paratec NEXT service bulletin???

I've got a paratec NEXT container, and I've heard that there is a service bulletin out to move the cypress cutter (similar to the mirage mod a few years ago). But I can't find any details on it. The only SB I found on the paratec website was about reserve pins from a few years ago.

I've googled a few times, looked over the BPA website, and a few others but can't find anything. I've also talked to a few friends that remembered seeing something recently but can't find the details

Has anyone heard about this service bulletin, or know where I can get the details??

After a bit of a wild goose chase I managed to track down an english version. Strangely the BPA's technical officer told me on the phone that he hadn't heard of the bulletin. Yet when I talked to the UK dealer he told me that he'd been sent it by the BPA!!!

I read the following in the bulletin:-

The relocation of the cutter is ordered by the manufacuter of the Cypres AAD for
all H/C systems which feature more than 2 flaps covering the pilot chute

Presumably if Airtec is ordering this it well affect other containers as well as the NEXT, but the only other container I've heard about this mod is the Mirage. Anyone heard of other containers being effected.

Tom

I have heard from my rigger that all containers without an poptop are going under the bulletin.
So Javelin and Teardrop are not under that don't now if there is others.
But thats the same problem from the Mirage bulletin problems when it packed poor and with a loose loop.

But thats the same problem from the Mirage bulletin problems when it packed poor and with a loose loop.

so rather than fix poor rigging we change designs. In Bill's words ".the world will build a better IDIOT..."

I wonder what people will manage to do poorly that will counter this relocation of cutter placement
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Just to clarify for everyone. It is not ONLY poor rigging that causes this problem and can lock up a reserve container.

True, too long of an unlubricated loop and a poorly packed rig greatly exacerbates the chances of this happening but the simple truth is that we can and have locked up reserve containers packed completely within our recommended spec's. We know that not only our rig can suffer these problems but I know for a fact that other rigs with the same configuration can also suffer the same problems.

True, the chance of a rig packed in spec, locking up, and having an a.a.d. fire to cause this all at the same time are likely to be a billion to one but we are skydivers too at Mirage, not just in it for the money and we don't want that one in a billion to be someones dad, mom, brother or sister.....hence we made the rig safer due to that one in a million chance of losing one of our skydiving brothers or sisters due to what we know is a safety issue whether packed in spec or out of spec.

Airtec originally wanted the cutter location to be above the pilot chute but considered the cutter under everything "acceptable". But as you will begin to see that they no longer consider it acceptable after this issue came to light. Thats why they are stepping up to the plate and requiring it from other rig manufacturers, it's just safer.

So just to be clear, it is not ONLY a poor rigging scenario, it can happen on a properly packed rig as well, and we're not willing to take that chance

Kudos to Paratec for recognizing the issue and taking action on it as we did in December of 2004, it's nice to see others catching up no matter the cost or flack given to the company.

If anyoe has any questions or would like to discuss this with me feel free to contact me at [email protected]

thanks
ward

What I can't figure out is why the bulletin isn't easy to find on the paratec web site (I still haven't found it on there site at all). The same goes for the BPA web site.

I've also just heard from a friend (the same rigger that got me a copy of the paratec bulletin) that a similar bulletin has come out for the PdF containers. Haven't seen anything about this anywhere else, but she was spot of with the paratec mod...

Tom

Yes.
Eric Fradet just sent me the Parachutes de France Service Bulletin telling how to re-locate the cutter in ATOM containers.
This is similar the SB issued by Mirage a couple of years ago.
Eric also warns us that Aerodyne will issue a similar SB covering Icons, in the near future.