sundevil777

Ministry of Silly Walks - possible inspiration for the Python skit

If it wasn't the inspiration, it should have been. :D

I was watching the Travel Channel, the show called Himalaya with Michael Palin.

They were showing a flag lowering ceremony at a border crossing between Pakistan and India. The guards from both countries do an elaborate strutting/stomping about type of silly walk that is supposed to show their anger, ferocity, or something like that.

I instantly thought of the Python gang turning that into a British Government Ministry sketch.

Michael Palin does good travel shows.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I think that sort of March was British influenced since ther used to be British colonies there. Not sure about Pakistan but definatly India.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Perhaps the stomping was a British invention given to them.

It wasn't even every step that would be the big, high step forward and stomp down. Very funny, I can only imagine what John Cleese would have done if he had been there watching. :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Yes, that is it.

Carefully choreographed contempt...

A precision display of nastiness...

:D

That looks rediculous. I'm sure there is some sort of History and traditions that is behind that.

After watching it, the stomping wasn't what I was thinking of. It is when the soldiers march in formation I think that had more of a british influence.

I agree, Cleese would have ripped that up in a skit.:D

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

I think that sort of March was British influenced since ther used to be British colonies there. Not sure about Pakistan but definatly India.

To say that there used to be British colonies there is a bit of an understatement.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I think that sort of march was British influenced since there used to be British colonies there. Not sure about Pakistan but definitely India.

The modern states of India and Pakistan have only existed since the British pulled out of the subcontinent. Prior to that we had controlled everything.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Over the past couple of months, I've been watching many of the Flying Circuses and other documentary Python stuff. The silly walks skit is defintely among the better ones.

There was a recent Monty Python documentary that had an interview with Palin, who said that John Cleese hated doing the funny walks sketch (he thought it was too basic, not clever enough) but the rest of them always pressured him into performing it when they were on tour.

It was only when JC had to have his hip replaced that they started to feel a bit guilty....
:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?