SmilingPhoenix

My Butt Hurts!

No, concrete is not a comfortable landing place when you are downsizing your canopy and don't really have enough jumps yet to be smart enough to realize that the little 10' x 10' slab that you make the mistake of looking at is exactly where you are going to land and then you freak out realizing you are going to land on it so forget about actually flaring at the right time to - I don't know - stand up the landing like everyone around you seems to do.

So please, share with me your bad landing stories so I don't feel like a complete hoser.
Because life is an adventure - it may not be the one you planned, but then it wouldn't be an adventure!

You boys need to learn to read - not everything involving a woman's ass has to do with anal sex.

Yes, it is this Asses Fault, I may need to change my sig line.

Thanks for the pic Walt, it was great to jump with you guys - even if I did have to hear the poo story :S
Because life is an adventure - it may not be the one you planned, but then it wouldn't be an adventure!

I'm still feeling the effects of a bad landing about a month ago. I dropped from a navigator 260 to a silhouette 230 on a windy day. Between the smaller faster canopy and the high winds, I got my landing pattern all screwed up. I should have taken a crosswind landing, but I tried to get into the wind. I almost made it. I flared at the last possible second and bounced off my ass. The flare lifted me up a couple feet off the ground, so it looked like I bounced to everyone watching. I was lucky though, just a bruised tailbone and the wind knocked out of me. I got a good long talking to from one of the instructors for that one, after he made sure I was OK of course.
Why does it say "Append signature to post" when I don't have a signature?

When i started this sport, I read the SIM.

It said , learn the PLF cuz ALL !!! skydivers have hard landings.

#2 .. You already know.. You look at it .. you land on it..

You will do well..

Just keep learning...
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

If it makes you feel better, my butt hurts too.
I jumped my own rig for the first time yesterday and was having trouble flaring the canopy fully, god knows why since when I did five test jumps on it 20 jumps ago I had no problems... anyway I landed on my butt and it didn't hurt at the time but it does now :S

Just for the record..

My First thought was NOT anal Sex.

It was more along the lines of "Can I kiss it and make it all better".:P:D:D

This public service announcement brought to you by Jello-J and the society for healing tender tushes.
I now return you to your regularly scheduled Post whoring...

Early in skydiving career. (less tha 50 jumps) I made one jump where the wind was from the south. Landing, no problem. Later I jumped again -- downsizing from a 230 to 190. Wind switched 180 degrees, and I was clueless to the fact. I turned to do my final and boy did I speed up! I figured it out too low and prepared to PLF. I did, but I was going so fast I bet I did two points of contact ... feet ... head. I walked away with a slight limp and feeling lucky I didn't die because I was stupid. B|:S

steveOrino

Just for the record..

My First thought was NOT anal Sex.

It was more along the lines of "Can I kiss it and make it all better".:P:D:D

This public service announcement brought to you by Jello-J and the society for healing tender tushes.
I now return you to your regularly scheduled Post whoring...

Awwww.....

J, How you doin? :)

I dislocated my shoulder in free fall on my second jump and didn't flair on landing fracturing my ankle:| I'll show you the video next time you come over if that will make you feel better:PB|

Ouch! Knowing you got hurt doesn't make me feel better - but seeing you again will! It was great to have a few minutes with you last week - I'm looking forward to dinner or something next time I'm in town.

:(:(Sorry Smilingphoenix:(:(

I planted it on the assphault when I was a student, and then proceeded to get dragged down the runway (yeah BAD). I had one toggle pulled as far as it would go and the canopy was just laughing at me (it was a LOT bigger than me). Anyway, that isn't the worst one. Jump #2, I make a low, hook turn (yeah, I know) and downwind it. I slid that one in on my butt, then proceeded to get a butt kicking from my instructor!B|...I was bruised after that, but not physically.

Hang in there, it'll get better. It was sooo much fun diving after Walt and trying to catch him! See ya soon.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

I too learned that concrete isn't a great crash zone. I recently downsized to a sportier canopy. I hooked it a little too low a few weeks ago, but thought I had it all the way until I crashed into the ground. My knee is still a little sore, but I've been jumping lots.

The gravel "Swooper's Alley" at Skydance is a fun place to land, but not very forgiving of mistakes.

Hopefully I'll learn lots to avoid similar future mistakes in the Brian Germain canopy course I'm taking in a few weeks.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative