soignet

FXC test chamber

Are you aware of what those things cost?:o

Are you aware of what those things are actually worth these days ?
I'm guessing it's probably less than it used to be.:P

Kevin

I picked up an FXC 12000 with the J mod a while back. Picking up old stuff is a hobby of mine, and I've lots of old bits and pieces, considered 'unsafe' by 'recent' standards. I don't have any particular plans to press any or all of the gear into service.

However, I sometimes wonder. All of the old school, which may only be ten or twelve years in the game, have jumped this gear safely, in the diciplines of the time.

I have yet to see a cited example of an FXC 12000 with the J mod activating outside its operating parameters, i.e. more than 1,500 feet above the set altitude.

Personally, I would be happy to use it, accepting the limitations of the device - pulling a bit higher than the activation altitude, having let the relevant people know. Pulling at 3,500 feet should never pose a problem, under these circumstances.

Skydiver, the BPA magazine, runs adverts from Paramechanic in Sweden who service FXC's. There must be market. I've only jumped at two dropzones in the UK, and I haven't seen any FXCs, but they were in common use at a dropzone in Spain when I did my AFF. (I had a Cypres :))

I'm not a rigger. I am an Engineer, and I have confidence in proven mechanical systems, that I have assesed.

Would anybody be able to raise a reasonable objection to me jumping a rig with an FXC 12000 J Mod for solo jumps? The question is asked on the grounds of my safety, and other jumpers on the same lift.

Thanks!

Darren

I have yet to see a cited example of an FXC 12000 with the J mod activating outside its operating parameters, i.e. more than 1,500 feet above the set altitude.

I have, but it ended up in just a premature belly to earth deployment, no big deal in the case at hand. Our DZ still has FXC's on some of their rentals. We have, I think 5 recorded saves, 1 premature, 0 incidents credited to the FXC's. Would I jump one, yes and do from time to time, when needing to make a turnaround load, that is atleast until my second rig comes inB|.

I have also seen, in my very limited experience, an argus fire at 10,000ft agl for no reason, and I dont think it is considered outdated.

Just my opinion

Are you aware of what those things cost?:o

Are you aware of what those things are actually worth these days ?
I'm guessing it's probably less than it used to be.:P

Kevin

You're probably right. Kinda like my old pick-up.:D

Chuck

an argus fire at 10,000ft agl for no reason

Could you please tell us more? Do you mean Vigil or Argus?

That would be the first mis-fire of an Argus! Please tell when where, when this was reported, etc etc.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Hi Paul,
The incident took place at Gold Coast Skydivers on Sunday 8th of October. The activation was at ± 9000ft. and caused by a broken sensor. Unit had as DOM April 2006.

Action taken:
Visit (3 days after the incident) to Gold Coast Skydivers. The unit was at the DZ checked, opened and info downloaded –all being witnessed by the DZ manager. The outcome was the above. As precaution all further units of that batch (10 units of April 2006) were immediately replaced.

More strict quality control by -for example extra vibration and burn in tests- on all produced units plus a more in depth sensor check (SW) should prevent this in the future. (Both have BTW already been implemented since our SB of May 29 2006)

The reason of the mis-activation was quickly determined and appropriate action was taken.

William

Would anybody be able to raise a reasonable objection to me jumping a rig with an FXC 12000 J Mod for solo jumps? The question is asked on the grounds of my safety, and other jumpers on the same lift.

No objection. Most premature firing on FXCs are due to a lack of maintenance (its fine mechanics that need a close look at on a regular basis). Also an important factor is to check your FXC after a lower than normal opening (nowadays) between 1500 and 2000ft. (Check pin-pull cable for tension.)

William

I have always trusted myself to be on time with the pull. but understand that things do happen. And having a AAD is just a back up... a back up that if i need it will or could save my life.
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith