RkyMtnHigh

Appalachian Trail - Have you done it?

If you haven't read Bill Bryson's A Walk In the Woods, that's a really fun place to start.

I second that recommendation. An outstanding and hilariously funny book, about two buddies who set out to hike the trail. And you'll get a lot of good practical tips out of it too.

I just ordered that book. I've been on the trail a couple of times - in Virginia and Tennessee, but only for short hikes. I'd love to go back and hike a larger portion of it, though I don't think I'm ambitious enough to ever hike the entire thing.

I've hiked about 325 miles of the AT from Springer up through part of the NC and the Smokey Mountain park. I usually hike sections and go for 5-8 days at a time. Springer Mtn. is about 10 miles from my cabin and I usually swing by Springer, Tesnatee Gap, Horseshoe Gap or Neels Gap and if I'm up that way and see if anyone needs a ride or supplies.

When I retire in 5 years I plan on doing a through hike of the AT and then head out west. :)
"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

I spent a month on the trail in the NC, Tennessee area in the 70's. SHOES and Socks, VERY important. I spent the first couple of days stone bruised, even tho I had what I thought were good hiking boots.
Read alot, enjoy yourself. I was there to explore flora and fauna, so I didn't move very quickly. Met some interesting folks along the way. It was surprising how many people were doing the trail at that time.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I've hiked about 325 miles of the AT from Springer up through part of the NC and the Smokey Mountain park. I usually hike sections and go for 5-8 days at a time. Springer Mtn. is about 10 miles from my cabin and I usually swing by Springer, Tesnatee Gap, Horseshoe Gap or Neels Gap and if I'm up that way and see if anyone needs a ride or supplies.

When I retire in 5 years I plan on doing a through hike of the AT and then head out west. :)

Amicalola Falls 14 mile hike was fun..I think Springer Mountain at the top joins the A.T. B|

We have our weekends mixed up! We did the Amicalola Falls hike last weekend. :P It was beautiful, looks like you had a better sunset than we did.

Springer Mountain is the start (or end, depending on how you look at it) of the AT.

And thanks for this thread, I'm now considering thru-hiking the AT this year...or at least attempting to...

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

We have our weekends mixed up! We did the Amicalola Falls hike last weekend. :P It was beautiful, looks like you had a better sunset than we did.

Springer Mountain is the start (or end, depending on how you look at it) of the AT.

And thanks for this thread, I'm now considering thru-hiking the AT this year...or at least attempting to...

Do you remember the fork in the trail where you could go to Springer Mountain or Hike Inn? There was a sign that said "Difficulty: Strenuous":ph34r:. I didn't ever figure out if that meant the incline or the tree roots, rocks, etc:S. We thought Jack's Gap was much more strenuous since it was more like climbing straight up than hiking. Still a great experience and beautiful scenery.:)

***Or maybe I could just borrow yours for 6 months...

Better yet...borrow me for 6 months and I'll cook for you!:)

"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"