MrBrant

permanent marker on spectra

hey everybody,

I know many people use Sharpie's to mark lines, etc. I'm guessing this can't affect the strength too much. (can anybody confirm??)

I'm wondering - can this marker be used to color an ENTIRE line? (Red for example :) )
Anybody tried this?

Brant

hey everybody,

I know many people use Sharpie's to mark lines, etc. I'm guessing this can't affect the strength too much. (can anybody confirm??)

I'm wondering - can this marker be used to color an ENTIRE line? (Red for example :) )
Anybody tried this?

Brant

Do a search I remember this being discussed before and as I recall Spectra and Sharpies are not good. I think the recommendations was that it was better to use the Sharpie on the attachment points.

I could be remembering wrong, so do a search.

Edit: I was wrong.... see this thread - RiggerRob is a lot smarter than I am.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=78158#78158

"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

yup, I found that one. :)
I know that sharpies are used often used to mark lines when finger-trapping, etc. but I'm wondering about coloring the entire line.

Why would you do that?
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I believe it's only Dacron that's avaliable in red.

The lines on my canopy are good, i just want a few of them red.
I don't mind just using marker to do it - providing it will not damage/degrade the line, or cause other unforseen consequences.

That's what I'm asking.

Edit: Expanding my question to include Vectran as well!!

Actually, I would be very surprised if it HASN'T been done.

whether or not that person/people read this forum is the question in my mind.

I'm not looking for a "This will reduce the tensile strength by 26.42573%", more along the lines of "I tried it, they lasted as long as the rest of the lineset", or "I tried it, the lines snapped after 3 months", or "sharpie markers do/do not damage lines"

You're going to have a mess on your hands should it rain or the lines get wet. Unless you are a manufacturer or experienced rigger, please don't try things that have not been industry practice for years and been tried and tested, not that marking your entire line has ever been industry practice.

Cheers,
Travis