Sebazz1

Working out advice

I just started a boxing conditioning class on Monday and needless to say I am fa-king stiff and sore. I know that as I stick with the class my muscles will get stronger and rwecovery will be faster. I am supposed to take my next class tonight but I was curious how long one is supposed to recover before they go at it hard again. I don't even know if I can do one sit up right now. But my brain is staying charge back even though... Anyone have any basic advice or thoughts?

When I first started working out with my trainer we started doing boot camp style sessions. After my first session I couldn't make it up the stairs to my aparment. I called him and told him there was no way I could make our thursday session (just 2 days later), I was dead. He told me to come anyway and we would do a low key session - we did and I survived.

If I were in your shoes I would still go to the gym but I wouldn't go all out, you end up doing more harm then good at that point. Just take it easier than you normally would - you'll find your body will tell you when you've had enough but just getting there is more mental than anything, you need to get into 'mentally' to keep at it.

Good luck!

Jen
Arianna Frances

generally you leave a cuple of days for recovery, so if you did a class yesterday, do the nex on on Friday, but dont just sit on your arse until then, Do some stretching and walk for 30-45mins a day between training sessions
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Try to take off at least 48 hours between work outs that work the same muscles (i.e., between two boxing classes). Also, take it easy at first. If you're that sore, you should have started out with something a little lighter. The advice about stretching regularly is very good advice, but before a workout, it's more important that you warm up slowly than that you stretch.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Thank you for the advice and motivation. I am going but I will take it easy and stretch stretch stretch even if the instructor picks on me. This boxing conditioning class is awesome if anyone is interested let me know, the classes are in Can Carlos.

-Peace!

I was reading recently that stretching before a workout is actually counter productive. It mentioned that it fatigues muscles sooner or something like that. I've always been into stretching, even without the workout. (yoga) But I wonder if anyone else has heard about this rumor?

I was reading recently that stretching before a workout is actually counter productive. It mentioned that it fatigues muscles sooner or something like that. I've always been into stretching, even without the workout. (yoga) But I wonder if anyone else has heard about this rumor?

You're correct; that's why I suggested it was more important to warm up slowly before a workout. Stretching regularly has proven to be very beneficial to athletes; however, the old adage to always stretch before you workout has been shown, in recent years, to be less beneficial than once thought. A lot of trainers still suggest stretching before a workout--and we're talking about workouts, not athletic competitions--because that's the only time most people are likely to do it. But as far as avoiding injury goes, a good warm up is your best bet. If you're competing; skip the stretches--They will unduly fatigue your muscles.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

I have heard that stretching while cold isn't as productive as it could be. Some say that a 5 minute warm up is better for you before you stretch.

Yes, my son's physical therapist/trainer told him that too.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I was always taught that as long as the pain is JUST muscle pain, not joint pain or ligament pain, go back at it hard. The pain will go away after a few minutes of exercise. I promise.

Another good tip: when I'm conditioning for racing, a rolling pin has been my BEST FRIEND. Roll it down your leg muscles for a few minutes after working out, and it will drastically decrease your soreness. Have a friend do it to your arms. It breaks up the lactic acid that is making you so sore.

:)
Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

I was always taught that as long as the pain is JUST muscle pain, not joint pain or ligament pain, go back at it hard. The pain will go away after a few minutes of exercise. I promise.

Another good tip: when I'm conditioning for racing, a rolling pin has been my BEST FRIEND. Roll it down your leg muscles for a few minutes after working out, and it will drastically decrease your soreness. Have a friend do it to your arms. It breaks up the lactic acid that is making you so sore.

:)
Brie

Muscle pain from lactic acid isn't harmful. In fact, if I recall correctly, the lactic acid actually triggers the release of growth hormone which causes your muscles to grow), but it's avoidable if you do a couple of light workouts before working up to a full workout. If you haven't worked out in a while, first do a couple of workouts where you're not actually feeling much burn. They should be so light that they seem almost unproductive. Then you'll be able to start pushing your body a little harder without experiencing those almost debilitating levels of muscle pain.

I have heard that stretching while cold isn't as productive as it could be. Some say that a 5 minute warm up is better for you before you stretch.

Yes, my son's physical therapist/trainer told him that too.

Never stretch cold. Quick warm up, then full stretch.

And then, stretch again after the activity.
Remster