skymama

What is appropriate dress for plays in NYC?

When I was in NYC in 2001 with my parents we wanted to see a couple shows and we didn't have tickets. The only way we got them was to get the hotel concierge to find tickets. They also cost more than box office. If you have specific shows in mind that you want to see you should have tickets purchased in advance.

We stayed in this nice hotel 1/2 block off times square which was a whole lot of fun, though quite expensive.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Andrea--I'm not a big fan of dresses, myself. It takes a formal occassion for me to wear one, usually.

Pants are perfectly fine. I wouldn't wear jeans if it's evening--but that's not to say I haven't worn jeans to plenty of places with a strict dress code and was still allowed in. I love my jeans. Sometimes I go with what I feel like rather than whatever the establishment desires.:P

Black is always great. If you want to go dressier, I swear by cream pants. They're usually my first choice for just about every non-jeans occassion.:)
Or, if you have a blazer/pant set you like then slip an evening shirt under, wear blazer open and that will always work.

But really, any top other than a tank or cotton T will probably work just fine. Since it's winter--sweaters are great.

Have fun!

I've been to all three & enjoyed them all. A good high-school friend of mine is a Radio City Rockette.B| And if you haven't been, you'll LOVE Stomp.:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

If you're planning on schmoozing and rubbing elbows then dress to impress. Otherwise Jeans, t-shirts and sneakers are allowed. Just don't go in there naked. Seriously, as they say in NY, "Just don't look like a bag of shit!"

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

Oh yeah, as far as tickets are concerned you can go to the Hotel Marriot Marquis on 46th street between b'way and 8th ave. They'll have reduced tix for various shows. Radio City Musical Hall (Rockettes) is on 51st & 6th. The Nederlander (Rent) is on 41st & 7th. The Oppenheimer (Stomp) is on St. Marks Pl & 2nd Ave. If you're staying in the heart of Times Square, you should take a cab to the Oppenheimer. Let me know when you're coming and where you'll be staying at. I work around times square. Drop me a PM if you want to exchange cell #'s.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

Thanks for the info! I suppose I could pack one nice pair of black slacks and a sweater and wear it to each show. I mean, who is going to know but us, right?

We do already have our tickets for the Rockettes. I thought that since Rent and Stomp have been running for so long, that we might be able to get the 1/2 tickets on the day. Should I not count on that?

I've already seen BMG and they are setting up a permanant show in Orlando next year anyway, so we'll wait until it comes here. My daughter likes musicals, and I suggested A Chorus Line to her since it came back to Broadway. Has anyone seen it?

Hey Skymama
I've lived in and around NYC almost all my life AND have been to MANY shows both on & off broadway... Trust me when I tell you that casual comfort is just as appropriate and acceptable as formal & anything in between at these things, short of clothing items so god awfully unacceptable that "dumpster divers" would reject them.... The only thing that matters about your attire at a show is that YOU ARE comfortable (and they are not repulsive or offensive) in it and can enjoy the show. We know you too well skymama you've got nothing to worry about, dress as YOU feel you want to just as you would make the same type of decision any other time you step out for the evening... Causal to formal...depending on how you feel at the time... wear what makes YOU comfortable & Happy ! Most importantly ENJOY skymama ! Don't forget my "skymama went to NYC & all I got was this lousy T-shirt" shirt --
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

I don't know if Rent still does it but when I was there about six years ago they gave away the entire first row of seats on matinees. I showed up at a certain time in the morning to put my name down and then in the afternoon I went back for the raffle drawing and ended up with 2 free front row seats. We also had no problem getting half price tickets to Les Mes in times square the day of. I think this was in October or November though.

May I make this observation? (based upon getting
to New York for business the past 30 years)
Your mom was right about dressing 'properly'....
if she was talking about the 70's.....but since the
80's & 90's....you will find folks dressed all sorts
of way....from evening wear to blue jeans (and
that's on a Saturday night too)...just an observation
of what I have seen...nobody cares anymore how
you look or dress.......grace, peace & blue skies
(you will be shocked at how small the theaters are)

I don't know if Rent still does it but when I was there about six years ago they gave away the entire first row of seats on matinees. I showed up at a certain time in the morning to put my name down and then in the afternoon I went back for the raffle drawing and ended up with 2 free front row seats.

They kinda sorta do this. What they do now is called a lottery. There's about 200-300 people that put their name on a list and 20 of those people get to pay $20 for Orchestra seats (the very front row). Since it's colder now, you'll compete with maybe 100 or so people but it's not worth it to wait out in the cold for 3 hours to find out you didn't win. :(
What do protesters want? Dead cops! When do they want it? Every 2 weeks!

Honestly anything goes, especially for Rent and Stomp. I've definitely been known to wear jeans to many Broadway shows and I fit in. Most people wear slacks or khakis and a nice shirt, now if you were going to an opera in NYC that would be a different story.

My daughter and I will be seeing The Rockettes, Rent and Stomp (her choices, not mine) when we go to NYC

We're southerners, it's cold to us when it goes below 60! So, are slacks appropriate? What about jeans?

I have a very good friend who was an actress until switching careers into medicine. I sent her your post. Here is her reply:

Jeans! definitely. They'd look like tourists if they dressed up.
How old is her daughter? It makes a difference, so I don't know what to suggest. I have friends who have kids & can ask them, but are they kiddies? or teens?
It's going to be mobs-ville, so the more popular spots like the Empire State Building are going to be long, long lines. They were long for us, they'll be even worse now.
Good to hear from you Bernie!

She was my daughter's and my tour guide for an entire week in NYC. She knew folks in Stomp so we went there. FANTASTIC! If you have to miss anything DO NOT miss Stomp. We loved it.

As a non-NYC-loving person, I can tell you don't look like a tourist, you'll be a target. Pretend that you know where you're going, even if you don't.

One final thing, my Rebecca was 11 when we visited. The thing she liked most, after the top of the Empire State, was the subway system. Don't miss a ride on the subway. It's almost as much fun as freefall.

Enjoy...it's an amazing experience.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper