StreetScooby

Cat vs. Skunk

Tomato juice is cheap. I think they sell it in 1/2 gallon cans. Two should be enough, but get extras in case the cat needs several good rinses. If you have a small tub, wash the cat in that. That way you can just pour the juice back into a bowl and use it again.

Good luck. And have some antibiotic cream on hand as well. Not for the cat. For your arms when the cat gets done with you.B|:ph34r:
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

A half gallon should be plenty. That'd give me 2 rinses, maybe 3 with either of my cats. You might need more, depending how cooperative he is with baths.

Long sleeves, gloves, and ointment may be in order for you, along with some bloody marys with the excess juice.

Tomato Juice is a mild acid which can help remove the oils in the skunk spray, but does nothing for the odor causing components. It is pretty much just a waste of tomato juice and makes a mess.

If you want a solution that really works, try the Hydrogen Peroxide, baking soda and dish soap recipe. It actually neutralizes the skunk smell components.

I speak from experience. My 2 dogs are on the losing end of a skunk fight in the back yard at least a couple times a year, so I keep a six-pack of hydrogen peroxide bottles and box of baking soda ready to go. It is amazing how well this works.

For details on the recipe, go to
http://home.earthlink.net/~skunkremedy/home/

1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup of baking soda
1 to 2 teaspoons liquid soap

for very large pets one quart of tepid tap water may be added to enable complete coverage.

Wash pet promptly and thoroughly, work the solution deep into the fur. Let your nose guide you, leave the solution on about 5 minutes or until the odor is gone. Some heavily oiled areas may require a "rinse and repeat" washing.

Skunks usually aim for the face, but try to keep the solution out of the eyes - it stings. If you have any cuts on your hands you might want to wear latex gloves for the same reason.

After treatment, thoroughly rinse your pet with tepid tap water.

Long sleeves, gloves, and ointment may be in order for you, along with some bloody marys with the excess juice.

Very good idea. My tom is pretty docile around family members (definitely not to the critters he kills and eats for fun). But, then again, I've never given him a bath :S
We are all engines of karma

Very good idea. My tom is pretty docile around family members (definitely not to the critters he kills and eats for fun). But, then again, I've never given him a bath :S

Kitties usually aren't very kind to their kills :ph34r:. It may be worth your while to trim his claws before you bathe him, if you can stand the smell.

As Posted by klafollette -1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup of baking soda
1 to 2 teaspoons liquid soap
This works much much better than Tomatoe Jucie. I had 2 dogs get skunked 3 times. I Speak from experiance! At the dollar store you can buy Hydrogen peroxide in Huge bottles. It seemed to work much better than anything else I tried. The sad truth is ,nothing gets it out completely,you will detect that odor for weeks.Aint Nature wondeful!:P

Stop doing THAT! It annoys the Hell out of me!

Post some pics of the cat getting washed... :D

My wife said you could try putting the cat under the sheets in the bed, then fluffing the sheets. She says that dissipates the smell rather well. I asked for an example and she pointed at me....go figure.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Post some pics of the cat getting washed... :D

My wife said you could try putting the cat under the sheets in the bed, then fluffing the sheets. She says that dissipates the smell rather well. I asked for an example and she pointed at me....go figure.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'll try! :D:D:D I'll also try to show the ensuing wounds :D:D:D

LOL! :D:D:D

Yes, I knew I would get some creative solutions here. After I shave him, should I douse him with Massengill douch? He's been out all day, so I haven't had a chance to get him in the tub. At this point in time, he's probably going to be out for the rest of the night. He's a natural born killer. A definite keeper.

Well, I used the Hydrogen Peroxide formula on my tomcat. Grabbed him by the back of the neck, and soaked him down in the bathtub. The smell that was coming off him was potent skunk. He only got me once, and that's because I was in the way of him trying to get out of the bathtub. There's still some skunk smell on his head, but the rest of him seems pretty clean.