Grips

Are We Really Flying?

Correct, but it does say perpendicular.

Only unless your 'wing' creates a right angle, perpendicular to relative airflow, then it is not a wing and does not create lift.

;)

I do recall birdman jumpsuits posting a video on their site of a guy that went above the plane due to the windblast while wearing his wingsuit. He increased his altitude upon exiting the plane.

http://www.bird-man.com/?n=windtunnel&nose=9
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

So, you are providing a 'bit more lift' but its still falling.

Lift: The lift force, lifting force or simply lift consists of the sum of all the fluid dynamic forces on a body perpendicular to the direction of the external flow approaching that body.

Unless you can fly back up to 14,000 feet, I don't think those are wings, or somewhere there of, I don't think they are wings.
;)

Then why do birds flap or aircraft have to have engines?!? They cannot climb either without some mode of propulsion. Yes gliders can catch thermals and gain altitude but without the forward momentum there'd be no lift. Would you not consider a bird "person" (trying to be PC) to be able to fly? They are able to maneuver like the space shuttle on approach for landing coming out of the sky like a bucket of bricks but able to maintain forward momentum and directional control until the eventual touchdown, or in the case of the wingsuiter deployment of their parachute. There's an anonymous saying that I use for my Tandem video intro that I thought was very interesting.

"If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming.
If you want to experience the element, then get out of the vehicle.";)
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

I just watched both the videos referred to where the birdman soars above the tail. It looks like that is what happens, but the reality is that the airplane has already started to descend before the last jumpers leave. Still agood looking video though.
Zing Lurks

I just watched both the videos referred to where the birdman soars above the tail. It looks like that is what happens, but the reality is that the airplane has already started to descend before the last jumpers leave.

Notice the top of the plane visible in the video? If the plane was descending, you would still not be able to see the top of the plane, as it would be angled away from you (forward). Ask the pilot to dive when you get out of the plane... you'll see the bottom of it, not the top.

I was in the plane (and in the video) and I can promise you the plane was not descending on jumprun. What you see in the video is actually very simple to do in a wingsuit, and many flockers have done it.

With 6000 jumps, surely you have noticed that during a fast swoop under canopy, you can actually gain altitude by applying enough toggle input? This same principle is what drives the wingsuit above the plane (excess speed). Note that we do not go directly above, but above and behind.

The jumprun was 130 knots. We have done this at 5000 feet with a plane full of RW jumpers, who confirm that (1) jumprun was level and (2) they watched us go way above the plane. I see that your home DZ is Eloy. Ask Ash, or Betsy, or any of the other experienced wingsuit pilots there, they will tell you (and maybe even show you). ;) Put on a wingsuit and do it yourself. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

um... that's exactly why I have wings... to provide a bit more lift then the RW group I'm filming.

my wings may not provide enough lift to stay off the ground indefinetely but... they do provide lift.

actually, they provide DRAG, not lift.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

um... that's exactly why I have wings... to provide a bit more lift then the RW group I'm filming.

my wings may not provide enough lift to stay off the ground indefinetely but... they do provide lift.

actually, they provide DRAG, not lift.

so... you felt the need to tell me I was wrong again... its not like I wasn't told several times above.

look I'm not a fluid mechanics guru... I used an inapporoiate term something that's specifically defined in fluid mechanics and I'm sorry I BOW to y'alls infinite wizdom... :|:P

so... I'm gonna go now... :ph34r: cause I've learned that when you poke a hornets nest its not generally a good idea to stick around... :)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...