GQ_jumper

Any Toyota camry owners out there

I'm thinkin about buying one and just wanted to find out how they hold together over time, are they pretty reliable? I'll be getting out of the military soon and want something that's going to last me a while.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

My wife and I own a 2001 Camry LE (2.2L 4-cyl, automatic). It runs perfectly. Zero problems. The Camry is a very reliable line up, regardless of engine/tranny option. If you're looking at that, I'd also recommend you look at a Honda Accord too. Both are bullet-proof. I like the Accord coupe a little better than the Camry/Solara coupe.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I don't know about the Accord but I do know that if you go onto the Toyota website you can build your on the CONFIGURATOR. I don't care what you're buying that just sounds cool, I'm sold, I'm buying whatever I can from the CONFIGURATOR;)
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Any auto maker's web-site has a "build-your-own" function. Just about every Honda and Toyota product out there is going to serve you well.
Make light!

I've got a 1999, and quite simply, it's been the best car I've ever owned. Almost 150k miles now, and I'm thinking it'll go another 100k, no problem.

Replaced some noisy strut crowns, a couple of power window regulators, and the water pump over the 6+ years I've owned it.

One of the local radio stations had folks calling in with high mileage reports on vehicles they had owned, and some gal called in with a Corolla that had 386k on the original engine and tranny, and was still going strong!

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

I used to have a '93, (my first car) and it was still running great even after 250k on it. (although the air conditioner didn't work)

I would never by anything besides a toyota anymore (possibly a honda though)

As long as you take care of it...it'll last you a VERY long time.

Good Luck.

PS...I still do drive toyota, and I love every second that I'm driving my car. Every weekend I get to do the two things that I love...drive my car...and jump from planes :)
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

I'm thinkin about buying one and just wanted to find out how they hold together over time, are they pretty reliable? I'll be getting out of the military soon and want something that's going to last me a while.

I had a Camry from 1990-92. It was the most UNRELIABLE car I ever owned. Had alternator/voltage regulator problems, door lock problems, serious rust on the doors (which they refused to fix as it did not emerge from under the rubber strip along the side of the door until after the warrant had expired) and headlight problems.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Any auto maker's web-site has a "build-your-own" function

Yeah they may all have a build your own function but do they all have THE CONFIGURATOR?? I THINK NOT:P

I may have to take a peak at some of the other cars you guys are mentioning, thanks for your time. But for now I'm off to watch the Denver game. GO DENVER!!!

--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Best car I ever owned! It had even been slightly airborne during a return trip from skiing, and was fine. 400 000 km on it and the only reason it's not still running is the moose it hit. [:/]

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

Here's your AARP card.

JMO, boooring but overall very reliable. Never owned one myself though.

You know I used to think that too until I took a look at em yesterday, the SE(their sport coupe version) looks pretty sharp, has a great lookin interior, lasts a long time, and has just enough sexy mixed in there with it all;) It'll last me a while and I can still pick up chicks with itB|

--Dwight D. Eisenhower

the SE

The SE is nicely put together indeed. However, if you really like spirited driving, you should also consider a V-6 Accord. The stability control in the Camry cannot be turned off, and I'm told it sometimes interferes with direct attempts to "have fun". The V6 Accord is also available with a 6-speed. Honda transmissions are pure perfection.

;)

But if you're sold on a Camry, no one can really fault that, it's an outstanding vehicle.
Make light!

You know I really haven't looked at an Accord yet, and it's been mentioned in here a few times, I'll have to check it out. I appreciate all teh input from everyone. My criteria for cars was; good on gas, reliable over an extended period of ownership, and still something I can enjoy, the Camry just sort of fit the bill, I was looking into hybrids but for he type of driving I do I really wouldn't be saving all that much on gas, so when you factor in how much more I would have to pay for the hybrid engine it wasn't worth it, and the tax incentive for hybrid ownership is only 2K.

As for having fun with driving, really, until you can buy car without anti-lock breaks standard, you are kind of screwed anyways, the big things with that are solid steering, breaks you can lock up and a hand brake. i've got some good video around here somewhere of me having a little fun with some hatch backs we bought over in Iraq. That big dirt parking lot about 2 miles down the road from the DZ in Eloy has been a great place to have a little fun with rental cars as well;)
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

You know I used to think that too until I took a look at em yesterday, the SE(their sport coupe version) looks pretty sharp, has a great lookin interior, lasts a long time, and has just enough sexy mixed in there with it all;) It'll last me a while and I can still pick up chicks with itB|

Here's one more vote for Toyota's reliability. I was also going to suggest you look at the SE...they're much more fun to drive than a standard Camry (which gives a comfortable ride, but is not especially zippy). ;) Also, the long life of a Camry makes options more attractive than they are in shorter-lived cars.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

OK, I just took a look at the SE. It's sweet.B|

But I'm with Gawain, I'm also a Honda man.B|B|

Chris

I'm a Honda man who just bought a Toyota late last month. Go figure. '07 RAV4 Sport, AWD V6. That thing hauls ass.
Make light!

I have a 2005 camry and so far it has survived me running over many curbs, hitting a deer, running over more curbs, getting stuck in the sand, and I've only had minor repairs on it. If it can last through my driving, then it's a good car.

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

i would reccomend you go with Honda. Im a tuner and honda's are VERY reliable cars...as long as you dont try to modify them. Once you crack open the motor to upgrade it...problems start. BUT..if it is kept stock with regularly performed schedule maintainance...then you will get 300,000-400,000 miles out of it...easily...barring outside interfearance(deer, accident etc etc etc).
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

I have a 1994 Toyota Camry XLE V6, leather seats, sunroof, power seats, etc. I love it. I think it might even have a turbo charger on it. Sure feels like it anyway. :D
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan