GQ_jumper

Ortiz vs. Liddell

I couldn't even begin to cast a vote on this one, one of the best strikers in the sport with probably THE best take down defense against one of the best grapplers in teh sport with a SOLID stand up game, it's gonna be good! I can't wait
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

My vote for the win are the advertisers.

Then again UFC was created as an advertising stunt (basically) in the first place.

It has had some positives though. For instance, getting people interested in training with grappling martial arts is very good. I've studied a couple different grappling martial arts quite a bit to make me a better all around martial artist, but too many people get caught up in "style X is the best" etc. When in fact there isn't really a single "best" style. Its the ability to adapt your style to whom your fighting and their style. To be able to do that, you have to be able to adapt with a foundation in a couple different styles.

The Gracies showed what could be done on the ground against a stand up fighter. Others have shown how effective a kicking style or a hand striking style can be. The fighters are pretty much badasses, but there's too much drama like professional wrestling, for my enjoyment. I'd still rather sit at a traditional martial arts tourni and watch some truely masterful fighters go at it fast and hard.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thus far, I'm the only guy taking Tito. Why? It's the year of the upsets!;) Franklin, Hughes....Chuck is next. These things happen in threes.

Seriously, I think Tito can beat Chuck...whether he does is another story. Could be a very good fight.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Tito will have to fight the fight of his life to beat Chuck. Liddell is an awesome striker and has an uncanny ability to keep the fight standing up.

I think Tito has the ability but whether he and his brain trust come up with a winning game plan that Tito can carry out...will determine whether Tito gets carried out or not :D I'm just hoping to see a good title fight.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Tito's fighting has come a looooong way in the last year, especially his striking skills, I have a feeling it's going to be a pretty evenly matched fight, as long as he doesn't act stupid like Sobral did and try to chase Chuck around throwing punches, he completely opened himself up and got what he deserved.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

GSP was great THAT NIGHT but the next fight he won't do nearly as well

I know that the psychological factor involved with him fighting Hughes had a lot to do with his performance that night, but I doubt he is going to let the fact that he beat Hughes get to his head and let his skills slip anytime soon. Just my prediction though, watchin him fight is f*ckin amazing, I'd loce to see more performances on that level.

--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Liddell v Sobral
Hughes v St. Pierre

not good fights?

I saw Liddell V sobral, but I didn't really WATCH it. I was at a party. So I can't say if it was a good fight.

GSP V Hughes (the latest one) was NOT a good fight IMO.

Hughes didn't show up. That's not to say GSP didn't do a great job, but Hughes just let himself get the shit knocked out of him.

I've seen Hughes get kicked in the balls almost knocked out and get out of a rear naked choke to win. In his latest fight he seemed bored with his life. He should have been on some caffeine or something.
My photos

My Videos

GSP was great THAT NIGHT but the next fight he won't do nearly as well

I know that the psychological factor involved with him fighting Hughes had a lot to do with his performance that night, but I doubt he is going to let the fact that he beat Hughes get to his head and let his skills slip anytime soon. Just my prediction though, watchin him fight is f*ckin amazing, I'd loce to see more performances on that level.

I agree. I think GSP is just hitting prime time. Strength, fitness, skill, experience & desire all coming together while he is still a young man. He'll be a top MMA fighter for several years.
--
Murray

GSP is pretty bad ass.

I wanted to hate him when I saw him fight for the first time. They were making him out to be so much better than he was at the time. but after a few fights I saw that he was indeed a bad ass...and I good spirited fighter.

I.E. not so cocky that he should be hit with a pipe.
My photos

My Videos

The next time those two fight Matt WILL win. Matt had a really bad night at the office to say the least. But! He's gonna come back and take over again and again until he retires ( which will be in a couple of years ) THEN GSP will be the Champ over and over and over again. I love watching that guy fight.

I think Chuck is going to dominate.

Hopefully, it will be a good fight at least.

So many of the other "HYPED" fights end up being shitworthy.

I agree with everything there! Though, there have been some really great fights lately. (This is why I always keep my expectations low. Once they're high, you can only be disappointed.)

What about Diego vs Riggs?
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Ortiz's only defense against strikes to his head is by covering up. He damn near goes into the fetal position. He even did this against Forest Whitaker who's hand speed is as slow as mollasses in February.

Moral of the story - I will thoroughly enjoy watching Liddell kick Ortiz's ass AGAIN.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

To me this sounds like a Matt Hughes fan having a hard time dealing with the fact the new up and comers in the UFC are fighting a different game than some of the long time champions. I'm not saying that Matt Hughes isn't a great fighter (because he is pretty damn good). I'm just saying that some of fighters coming into the UFC have some serious skills. I'm not saying that it won't happen, but I don't see Hughes regaining the title from GSP and keeping it. I really don't see him retiring with the belt unless he wins and goes straight into retirement. I just want to see more and more people fight GSP because he is so deadly.