Airman1270

Tip the pizza guy...

...He knows where you live.

Other rules:

Don't send your kids to the door with the money unless you've explained tipping.

Please make an effort to have the money on hand when he arrives. Dammit, you've had at least a half-hour's notice that he'll be there. Leaving him standing at the door while you ransack the house looking for loose change is just plain rude.

Don't disappear into the basement, the bedroom, etc. Keep an ear out for the doorbell. (One driver told of the time he stood at the door, trying in vain to contact the customer and noticing the trail of clothing leading up the stairs...)

Fix the damn doorbell, or leave a note asking him to knock loudly.

Restrain your dog. You would not believe how many people cannot control their annoying yappy dogs.

On the subject of dogs: If you have one of those cute mats that say something like "wipe your paws," fine. But don't delude yourself into thinking you are soooo clever. These things are ubiquitous.

If you live in one of those snooty gated communities, be sure to provide the gate code when you place the order.

Decide exactly what you want before placing the call. Keeping the employee on the phone while you try to figure out what toppings you want is a waste of everyone's time.

Thanks. Glad to clear this up.

Happy new year.

Cheers,
Jon

damn dude, have you just got a job as a pizza delivery guy. Make sure none of that hair falls in the pizza:D
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Hee hee hee... No, did this for a few years back in the mid-90's, and have been doing it for about a year now since losing the radio job. Apparently a normal rite of passage in the broadcast industry.

The money's not bad, but being a 48 year-old pizza guy is real low on the list of attracting women's attention due to the prestige associated with your job. Hell, I can't even get any at home. But one nice thing about this job is that people are glad to see me. (Nobody ever says "Aw crap, the pizza's here.")

A few weeks back I delivered to the local college. One young 20's something woman saw me and said "Yummy!" Obviously she was responding to the idea of pizza, but I told her "Lady, it's been 20 years since a woman has talked to me that way."

Of course the meth dealership is quite lucrative, but that's something I don't tell too many people about...

:),
Jon

damn dude, have you just got a job as a pizza delivery guy. Make sure none of that hair falls in the pizza

hey now, pizza delivery guys are underappriciated, I used to be one, show some repsect;)

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I used to deliver steak dinners for Steak-Out back in the early 90's. From that experience, I always give a good tip to the delivery driver, like 20%, if they were on time. If not, then the minimum 10%.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Then tell the pizza guy (gal) not to drop the damned thing and don't set their text books on top of the box. Oh, after giving very specific directions to my very obvious duplex, just because you can't read the address on the house, or notice the block range on the street sign or even notice that my duplex is on the corner of the intersection where I said it was, don't call me and ask what apartment I live in. Its not hard to find places.

The job isn't hard, do it well.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Shame people cannot treat people in the service industry with a little more respect. I did some low paying jobs when I was younger and I recall wanting to knock out more than a few customers. It's like people think minimum wage means punching bag. Sometimes when I am shopping at a wallmart or a fast food place I get so pissed off when I see the way that people treat the people behind the counter.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

It sounds like you had a terrible experience
with a pizza guy

A bad experience? As in one? The town I live in has 45,000 college students. So what you have are people delivering pizzas in $30k pickup trucks, so they have beer money. They don't *need* the money, they don't give a shit. So they fully don't care about doing their job well. They do not deserve a tip, for the extreme lack of work ethic and even an attempt at trying to do what is an extremely simple job. Sure they're "under paid" but so is every single other person in this town.

I'm not rude, I'm quite polite (they have my food you know). Its just that the pizza guy (gals) attitudes around here have gotten really old. So its very rare I even order a pizza any more. I'll go pick them up, but its super rare I order delievery.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I always know exactly what I want, my pizza guy probably thinks I'm anal. And if I have sexually harrased him at the door or made him wait, I always give a fat tip.

Hell, he has kept me from having to slave away at making dinner for 6 screaming kids so he is, at that moment, my knight in a flaming red collared shirt.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before

I used to work for pizza resturant here in Utah that is more of a gourmet joint, anyway one night right before we were about to close this guy calls in an order and tells me if I stop and grab him a case of beer and a gallon of milk he would tip me $30. I was stoked.

The other night it was snowing hard here and I was beat from shredding all day. I order a pizza from papa johns and tried the same thing, I asked if I could get them to stop and grab some beer for a big tip. I got denied but I still tipped the guy $6 since the roads were bad.

It's a weekend night, between 6 and 8 pm, you're with some friends and getting a little hungry.

The absolutely worst possible way to deal with the situation is to call the pizza place, then when they ask to take the order, say "Yeah, hold on a minute," then yell to your friends "Hey, does anybody want pizza? Yeah? Well, what do you want on it?"

Doing this makes the person attempting to take your order extremely pissed off at you, and greatly increases the chances that your pizza will be spit on at least once. Some pizza places will even add an "idiot tax" to the price, for wasting time in the busiest hour of the whole week.

The correct way to order is to get everybody to decide on how many pizzas and with what toppings you want. Write it down. Then call and place your order. Simple. No spit or idiot taxes involved. And you get to eat pizza. Tip the driver well, and he'll take care of your order first the next time you call. Everybody wins.:)

Matt

I am pretty good to those who deliver my pizza. I always know what I want, always am joking and nice with the person on the phone, and always have the cash or check with cash tip ready.

Because of that, last night, when I ordered pizza at 10 pm, I couldn't find the coupon that reduced the price by about $5. The pizza was a medium, but they had run out of medium pizza dough size. They upgraded me to a large, gave me the deal anyway, and had the pizza to my house in under 30 minutes.

The pizza guy was handed the pizza money, and told to keep the change - which was the 5 or so I saved with the non-appearing coupon.

They take good care of me, even though I don't order often. I appreciate it very much, because when I order a pizza, it's usually because I'm too tired to cook or get dressed and run up for a burger at the fast food place. In other words, it's my last choice. But they're good to me, and so I return the favor.

And I keep my yapping cats inside.;)

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~