rivetgeek

Help a brutha out or just get a clean exit?

I'd give them all the room they need, and then some, to pull the PC themselves. The PC might even come out on its own, as happens in the video.

I would not take it on myself to pull their PC, and insert myself into their horseshoe as well.
Johan.
I am. I think.

If you were falling and saw someone horseshoeing, would you take it on yourself to pull their PC or just get the hell away and hope for the best?

I could see myself doing either of those things, depending on many factors. If the bag is leaving, and you huck the pc in time, you can avoid a malfunction for the other jumper. However, when you jump out of an airplane, you agree to be on your own. I wouldn't expect anyone to deploy the pc for someone else.

That dudes pin got pulled on exit.

If I was the video guy I would have: Gotten the FUCK out from above that formation. I am going to guess he didn't notice it and honestly, PAY ATTENTION VIDEO PEOPLE! Both of them could have been killed. He should have abandoned the skydive and went in with a middle finger up followed by pull sign. "You're fucked, pull"

As one of the other RW jumpers if I noticed it, same thing, "You're fucked, pull"

At the very least, get the hell away from the guy cause he is having a really bad day, (considering having to use his reserve, and how hard it's going to be to find that bag lock from altitude) he doesn't need me to make it worse!

He sped up after he had the bag lock deployed and was bouncing off people... Crazy video!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

A couple of years ago my son and I were visiting another DZ and did a 4 way with a guy and his girlfriend.

We launched the first point from the Otter and turned one or two more points when we saw her bag come off, resulting in a horseshoe.

We all backed away a few feet and signaled the problem to her.

She reached back to pull but couldn't find her hackey after which she got a very panicked look on her face and frantically trying to pull.

My son flew up to her, docked on her right arm and signaled her with his free hand to calm down, which she did.

He then transitioned to her right leg and proceeded to find her hackey and pulled it for her.

She rode the malfunctioning main for a while but by then the bag had spun up so bad that the canopy was not about to come out. She then cutaway and landed her reserve uneventfully. Her main landed in or near a nearby river and was never found.

We later were told by her that her packer had been known to loosen the closing loops on rigs so he could close them easier. When we checked her loop it was way too long.

My son told me that it was harder to get a hold of the hackey than he had ever thought possible. It took him a couple of attempts.

We must remember that once the bottom of our container is no longer held firm by the main bag it has a tendancy to flop back up into the pack tray. In addition it was also being contorted by the pull of the flopping, spinning main bag which was putting forces on the bridle and hackey pouch.

He said he finally just forced the bottom flap down into the pack tray with his hand and worked it up to the hackey to get a hold of it. He also said it would be very tough to do on your own while reaching back blindly because it's not anywhere near where we usually find it. It's further up and further into the open pack tray.

After this incident we showed her the pilot chute packing method that Brian Germain has been teaching for years. It one day could save a life and maybe has already.

Needless to say I was quite proud of my son who only had a couple hundred jumps at the time. He was very calm and collected during the whole incident. He even followed the cutway as far as he could without risking inury to himself.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I use to be of the same mindset as you.

But after attending numerous funerals over the years, I would say this:

"I would rather my freind be upset with me because I chose to help than to have their family be upset because I chose not to."
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

It's hard to remember ever seeing a dumber group of jumpers.

For starters, they seems to a have their RW jump well rehearsed, and were cranking points right out of the door, but they must have 'forgotten' to do a gear check before exit. Stupid.

Moving on, I saw the main flaps flapping alomst immediately when I watched the video. You might say that I knew it was coming, but I didn't know which jumper it was gong to be, but I still spotted it right away. I've got news for the you, the video guy has nothing better to do than sit there and watch too, but either he didn't see it, or he did and hung out anyway. Either way, both stupid.

As an RW video guy, you need to be aware of what's happening below you. If you see this type of thing, first get the fuck away from above the formation. Then get on level, and clear the other jumpers away from the guy.

Which brings me to the other RW flyers. How the fuck did the guy who had a cat on the horseshoe guy not see the main flaps blowing in the wind? It was one foot from his face, and he saw nothing. Open your eyes jackass.

Once the main came out, what the fuck were the other RW guys, and the camera guys doing hanging out right next to the guy? That's retarded.

What happenes when the bag pops open, and the canopy comes out? The jumper was going to swing forawrd, and one of those guys could have been kicked. An AFF-I was killed being kicked by a deploying student a few years ago. It's not a situation to take lightly, get away. Fast.

How about when the guy cut away? How would you feel if you managed to get away from a horseshoe, only to land on top of your video guy, who for some reason is two feet under you?

Let's take this one step further, and say the guy follows his emergency procudes the way he was taught. He cuts away, and goes right for the reserve as he hits the camera guy under him. He just survived a horseshoe, and now the shithead under him is apt to foul his reserve. What a fucknut.

For the matter, either of the two idiots who hung out next to him were at risk for the same as the camera guy, plus getting hung up in the main risers or lines before the guy cutaway. If he did then cutaway, it only hurts those guys, but if the bag opened, now they're in his lines, and the canopy is trying to deploy. I can't see that ending well.

Open your eyes up there guys. Wide. If you see something liek this going down, clear out of the area. Way out. Your chances of contributing are slim, and your chances of injuring yourself or others are much higher.

Just to throw a thought out there, how tight is your altimeter attached to your wrist? Pretty secure, right? Well, if you stick that hand into another guys mess tyring to 'help him', all it takes is one line around your altimeter to make you a permanent part of the problem.

Unless you are an AFF-I who has been trained to involve themselves in the deployment process, stay away. The AFF-Is out there will have the skill and judgement to assist, or know when they have nothing to offer.