DocJames

How many jumps is considered half life on a canopy?

Depends on the kind of canopy, reserve, non-ZP, ZP. And for ZP canopies for the most part the lines do not last the life of the canopy. Some canopies may require several line sets during their life.

Total lifetime:

Reserve PD wants to see theirs after 25 jumps or 40 repacks. I'd judge replacement on the kind of deployments, terminal versus sub terminal. I haven't opened a reserve in 20 years. But I'd think about a new one after 2-4 terminal deployments. And probably just think cause I'm cheap.;)

Non-ZP canopies 500 to 800 their pretty tired. With dacron lines they may last the life of the canopy or may not.

ZP canopies 1000, 2000, or more depending on care. Probably between 1000 and 2000. Lines, every 200, 300, 500 or more depending on type of line.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Well the answer to that question will change depending on the canopy and material.

I have ordererd a JVX with sail cloth on the top skin.

I would expect this canopy to have better performance than a brand new all ZP canpy even after 2000 jumps.

Newer materials and construction are lengthening the life span of parachutes. Just look at what ZP did for the life expectancy if the rags.

Sail cloth is not the only durable material looked at for parachute construction and I'm sure we will see these materials used on not only high performance parachutes but on more common types as well.

time are changin!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix