turtlespeed

Why can't we just get one system of f'n temperature?

The zero is NOT arbitrary. Fahrenheit is doubly arbitrary.

The zero (of Kelvin) may not be arbitatry, but all the other points along it are, so, in fact, the entire scale is.

it's not quite abitrary, increments on the scale for Kelvin are the same as those on the Celcius scale and they are derived from the heating of water in fact the only real difference between the C & K scales is the zero point, Zero Degrees Celcius is the freezing point of water, Zero Kelvin, is the freezing point of everything
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

>I disagree, if we have ONE system, it should be redesigned from the
> ground up so that it makes sense in its entirety and not for the
> sake of a previous convention.

"The sake of previous convention" (if the previous convention makes sense) is a good thing to be careful of. The fewer systems of measurement, the better. Who knows? Some future scientist might make a mistake trying to convert -20C to some number of degress Q, and we might lose another spacecraft. Whereas if he wants to convert it to kelvin, it's 273-20 = 253 (I didn't even need my calculator for that!)

. . . and they are derived from the heating of water . . .

(Remember folks; I AM just having a bit o' fun here. If you don't think this is one of my favorite topics, you should do some searches on similar threads about units of length measurements.)

So, lemme ask you this; what's so special or magical about water? (Which come to think about it kinda blows up the Q scale -- damn!)

Sure it's the basis of life here on Earth, but . . . let's think about the future and moving out into space. If we are on Mars or Titan does using a scale based on the temperature of freezing and boiling of water on Earth have any significance whatsoever?

What happens when we find out that the majority of life in the universe uses methane?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Most of you will now point to the UK, however, they are, from what I can find, officially on the Metric system, with the exception of the use of miles, yards, feet and inches for road traffic purposes.

Oh, I've heard plenty you guys yammering on about "stone" and such...deep down, I know you fellas over there hate the metric system...join us...join us...:D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

So, lemme ask you this; what's so special or magical about water?

It is one of the few (if not only - I'll have to check) substances that the solid phase is less dense than the liquid - DO YOU NEED ANYMORE THAN THAT????

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

all the margaritas would be hot on top otherwise....hehehehe
Scars remind us that the past is real

Oh, I've heard plenty you guys yammering on about "stone" and such...deep down, I know you fellas over there hate the metric system...join us...join us...:D

I second this mostly because I think the entire metric system is flawed and arbitary. A scratch on a bar? Really?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What happens when we find out that the majority of life in the universe uses methane?

We light a match and become the supreme rulers of the Universe:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

>what's so special or magical about water?

Magical? Nothing. But we are made of it (mostly) and most of the earth is covered with it.

>If we are on Mars or Titan does using a scale based on the
>temperature of freezing and boiling of water on Earth have any
>significance whatsoever?

Unless we change humanity to a methane-based chemistry, I feel confident in saying that the freezing and boiling points of water will still have great significance to mankind.

>What happens when we find out that the majority of life in the
>universe uses methane?

Then we have a new conversion factor to deal with.