danmcewan

What Do I Need

>what do I need

You need:

jumpsuit
helmet
altimeter

do that stuff first.

For a rig I'd go used for your first one. Cheaper and you feel less bad grinding dirt into it. Knowing nothing else about you I'd make sure the main and reserve you get are NO SMALLER than the smallest canopies you have jumped in the past. Also make sure they are not radically different designs; if you're used to a Triathalon 220 don't get a Sabre2 230.

Hardest part for you will be getting a rig that fits; hard to try on used gear that's 2000 miles away. You may have to live with one designed for a 6' tall guy. Talk to a rigger to ensure that it fits you adequately well before jumping it.

I disagree with the sabre2 vs triathlon statement. If you can, get a rig without a main, and then demo a few canopies so you can open yourself up to whats out there, but do always stray toward the bigger side for canopies at first. The good thing for you is that youre big, so your dropzone should have big gear that they might even let you throw a demo canopy in for a few jumps. I think its really important to get to know the size of canopy youre comfortable with before you go and buy a container, and wind up with something youd assume would be right, but is way small, or way big.

>If you can, get a rig without a main, and then demo a few canopies so
>you can open yourself up to whats out there . . .

Definitely. Demoing _everything_ (including containers) beforehand is a great way to see what you're really going to like. However, I would suggest people do NOT get a canopy they haven't jumped before - and the closest they can get to their canopy the better. i.e. if you've only jumped a Tri before, a Spectre is probably a better choice than a Sabre2 if those are your only two choices.

the Icarus is a 7cell, so if you liked that, try a spectre or triathlon. Do a seach here on 7 cell vs 9 cell canopies, and on sabre, sabre2, spectre, triathlon, safire, safire2, silhouette, pilot, as these are all appropriate choices. You're looking for a 230-ish sized main canopy and at least that for a reserve canopy.

Also read these articles:
http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Gear_and_Equipment/index.shtml

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Anvil Brother in the house!!

RECOMMENDATION ON GEAR (Students or Novices should always speak to their Instructors first, then your rigger, then the gear dealer, then the manufacturer)

Rig: WingsEXT (Made for those of us with longer torsoa).
Mains: Safire2 or Sabers 229
Reserves: Smart 190-220, PDr 196-218, Precision rMAX 208.

Your first set of gear should be all solid colors cause whether you stay in the sport or downsize over time, it'll be easier to sell on the secondary market.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

RECOMMENDATION ON GEAR (Students or Novices should always speak to their Instructors first, then your rigger, then the gear dealer, then the manufacturer)

This can't be over emphasized. Too much good advice can be as troublesome as not enough.

As a normal sized instructor I would have included someone like BIGUN in the discussion with you however. I wouldn't want a big guy like you pissed at me.:D
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

Whew.. man - my spelling sucks at 3 AM. And, you're right... sometimes, it can get a little overwhelming on the novice to get too much info especially if it's differing aesthetic opinions, rather than functional.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

>all this info is great but what is the difference a Tri or spectre and
>sabre 2

Triathalon is a rectangular 7 cell
Spectre is an elliptical 7 cell
Sabre 2 is an elliptical 9 cell

(If you are tempted to ask about what the difference is between elliptical and square, or 7 vs 9 cell, please do a search!)

>ive been using a icarcus 259 sq ft which has been fine cause its >big..... what is the bear minimum of size i should get . . .

Right now? If that's the smallest canopy you've been jumping, then don't get anything smaller than a 259 sq ft. A better choice would be to wait a bit and demo some smaller canopies (going down no more than 10-12% at a time, so don't go any smaller than a 230 for now.)

I am guessing you are jumping an Icarus ZP-7 student canopy. With that in mind I would recommend demoing a Spectre 230, which is also a 7 cell. If you do well with that, I'd suggest also looking at a Safire2 229 (9 cell) or a Silhouette 230 (9 cell, partially F111 so easier to pack.)

As always, talk to your local instructors/coaches etc and listen to them over us.