2fat2fly

Today show segment repercussions

I've already gotten calls and emails from 'concerned' family and friends since Today is doing a segment on an accident this morning. In my proactive way, I've made a little sign to hang outside me cube today.
"Yes, I'm aware that the Today Show did a segment on a skydiving accident on this morning's edition. In South Carolina, a person is injured in a traffic accident every 16.2 minutes. Did you walk to work?

Kinda terse, but the same people come by everytime a news story come out making the same comments and jokes.
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

I like the idea of your sign...we'd have to modify it a little to use in Georgia..."a still explodes every other batch...did you check your condenser coil this morning?"
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Oh yeah, I saw the promo for that. What was the incident?

Main spinner,,,,
Two video perspectives
One from the Jumper involved, one from his buddy above him.
the involved jumpers' video showed the cutaway cables after they have cleared the housings, but the main doesn't seperate.....
the Upper video shows the main spinning,,, looks like maybe 2/3 of the square footage is 'open'.. i e not a streamer.
The jumper said at some point, under a grand, he pulled the reserve and the upper video seems to show the pc launch but, No indication that the reserve cleared the freebag. NO word at all about an AAD
NO indication AT ALL by either of the jumper guests,, of WHY the main didn't leave... NONE...
( could it be tuck tabs??) ( speculation on MY part).... No apparent effort is made to tear at the 3 rings, or "help the risers" to let go...
spin spin spin,, Matt Lauer made a point of saying,, " you spun 84 times".. sheesh...
The interview ends with both men saying, yes, the jumper involved will certainly will jump again. ( he said he has over 7000 jumps...)
I was disappointed with the lack of real explanation, as i would guess that gear inspection was conducted. maybe there is more to come. As it stands , the general public is given a 'scare story' of a gear problem, with no real explanation of why.....only the stock statement,,, 'boy was he lucky'...

jimmy

Actually, I didn't think it was all that bad. The guys seemed credible. It IS a sensational moment even in the skydiving world. It shows that nothing is perfect. Wouldn't it be nice if people took responsibility for their actions to participate? Didn't Javelin just get sued by someone who refused to take responsibility that skydiving is dangerous and bad stuff can happen? The comment from the person suing Javelin was "I didn't expect the hold harmless section of the waiver to stand up in court." WTF?!! Over...

I think the jumper did a pretty good job keeping control of the interview. When asked if he'd jump again, he said "of course, it's what I do" and mentioned that it was a freak, one in a million accident. Is pretty amazing he survived. I do like how he waved goodbye to his camera though - leave it to a skydiver to geek the camera all the way to impact :D
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Fuck, I just heard Matt Lauer say;"Ive jumped twice, This is why you don't jump out a third time"!

nice, just when I'm about to launch a recruitment campaign for a club.

So Matt Lauer's a pussy (he did go to OU). Show the guy talking about how the main malfunction was "normal" .... compare and contrast to Matt whimpering about how scary it was. :D
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Just watched it, actually thought it was well done. The jumpers were articulate, quick to point out misconceptions, did a nice job of describing what went wrong. He said that the gear did what it was supposed to do, but something was snagged on the container preventing use of the reserve. The driving analogy was also used when he was asked if he was going to jump again.

It's absolutely incredible that he survived with such relatively minor injuries.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Saw it this morning. Ugly Malfunction. New EPs for me. If all else fails and you see you are not going to be able to Track into your Riggers car as you should, Look for Blackberry Bushes to land in.:P:D

Incidents thread here on this accident.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2584814#2584814
Looks like the Main Lines Hitched around the Main Flap and would not release.B|[:/]

I've already gotten calls and emails from 'concerned' family and friends since Today is doing a segment on an accident this morning. In my proactive way, I've made a little sign to hang outside me cube today.
"Yes, I'm aware that the Today Show did a segment on a skydiving accident on this morning's edition. In South Carolina, a person is injured in a traffic accident every 16.2 minutes. Did you walk to work?

Kinda terse, but the same people come by everytime a news story come out making the same comments and jokes.

TOTALLY using that on my email and blog today. Thank you.

sure this has been mentioned somewhere...but my wife and i just watch the show. she commented that a hook knife to cut the main risers may have helped? all depending on the nature of the snag on the container.

wonderful that he survived. blue skies for him!