FlyinseivLP2

Any electricians out there?

The breaker to my living room just blew. I reset it at the box but it went again about 5 min later. Now it will not reset at all. The switch will not lock like it should. If I push it over it just goes back to orange. Is there anything I can do or do I need to call someone in? I need light. Extension cord got the TV going though.

The breaker to my living room just blew. I reset it at the box but it went again about 5 min later. Now it will not reset at all. The switch will not lock like it should. If I push it over it just goes back to orange. Is there anything I can do or do I need to call someone in? I need light. Extension cord got the TV going though.

Sounds like it is either defective or doing it's job correctly and you have a short.

Call someone and have them replace the breaker - cheap fix - if it goes again - you have bigger problems.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

you have a short somewhere. the breaker is doing its job. if you dont know anything about electricy you should call someone who does.

you can verify that it is the circuit and not the breaker by shutting off the main( if you can). once the power has been killed to the panel try and reset the breaker in question. if it will stay in the 'on' position without power to that circuit you have a short. breakers do go bad...but rarely.

dont burn your house down.
what!?

I'm going to try shutting off the main and testing the breaker. I have unplugged everything and turnd the switcthes to off, but it still won't reset. Thanks for the help.

Sounds like a bad breaker. Easy to replace, but safer to hire someone to do it if you want. Look for a web page that gives instructions if you want to see what's involved.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Maybe its Overloaded? Do you have a MILLION things plugged in and operating on that breaker? And when you go to reset it everything is still plugged in and on so it overloaded it right away again...But dont turn off the main cause then you cant read everyones advice
-"It's amazing the kinds of things you think about when there's no time to think."

TOWER LADDER 44...FDNY, SOUTH BRONX