RandomLemming

Where to buy cold weather gear in London?

Hi all,

I've just bought an awesome second hand rig, so I'm trying to find some cold weather gear so that I can jump it.

If anyone could advise where I can find the following in the UK, preferably London, I would be very greatful:

Surgical gloves suitable for going under my regular gloves
Silk balaclava
Decent long thermal underwear suitable for jumping

That's pretty much everything I can think of at this point, but if I've missed anything, pointers to that would be appreciated too!

Thanks much - There is a monster blacks near where I will be later today. Hopefully they sell silk underwear :)

Craig is very thorough isn't he?!

One thing I would fully recommend is silk glove liners - they are for winners. I am not such a fan of the surgical gloves - I know plenty of people like them but it just looks a bit dodgy... ;)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Hi, now I don't know a huge amount about cold weather gear (so take this with a grain of salt) but I do have an awesome top that works for me from Icebreaker.

Its made from Merino wool and they do everything from base to outer layers. I've got a base/mid layer top and it is the warmest thing I've ever owned. Its almost as thin as a decent cotton T-shirt but insulates better than my heaviest jumper. Perfect way to stay warm and not look like Michelin man IMO:)
(Oh yeah, and it won't start to smell even after its been worn non stop for an entire long weekend:P)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I've got the ice breaker top and the icebreaker glove liners. Highly recommended.

Regular gloves don't cut it though - unless they don't allow any wind through.

Would get a Buff instead of the balaclava - more versatile and can be worn almost like a balaclava. Available from all the stores Craig mentioned.

It really isn't that cold tho (yet!) - main things you need to protect are hand, feet and head.

Blacks ha(s/d?) a 20% off sale. Join quidco and buy online..and get another 8% off.

They do some ok gear, depending what you're after! Look into buffalo gear too. Looks a bit gay, but is windproof and very warm. :P

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Silk is very, very, very old school.

Look into thin windstopper gloves. Or winter grade Newman's.

For body warnth, look for polypro lycra type items. If you want to go all aout, check those out:
http://www.velogear.com/prodinfo.asp?number=A+CAW

Wool is still hard to beat, but a brushe polypro with fleecy base layer will work great. Cycling gear is great for that since its also low bulk and tight fitting to fit under tight jumpsuits.
Remster

Would get a Buff instead of the balaclava - more versatile and can be worn almost like a balaclava. .

Go for both! Double layres on the face are SO much better than just a buff. (yes it really is that cold now!):)
Leeds University Skydiving Club
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk

Best outdoor shop is Peglers. It's not in London (it's actually Arundel) but the guys actually know what they're talking about and have an excellent mail order service. Dave Pegler is the guy I always speak to (and a very competent high-altitude mountaineer and ice climber), although any of the guys in the shops there are very current outdoor enthusiasts.

www.peglers.co.uk
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13