NWFlyer

Studio 60 ... so what did you think of the Pilot?

As a major Aaron Sorkin groupie, I was really excited to see Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip on the fall schedule. I watched every episode of Sports Night as well as The West Wing (at least in the Sorkin days) and can sit down and enjoy any episode of Sports Night on DVD, no matter how many times I've seen them.

I'm not so sure about this new show. It seems like when the Sports Night and West Wing pilots appeared, you just knew they had lightning in a bottle. The shows were tight from day one.

Casting: there's all the usual Sorkin regulars, and they'll be fine, even if I have to mentally shift from their old characters to new ones. I don't mind Amanda Peet. But she just seems so out of place and awkward on this show, it's kind of painful. Matthew Perry's got potential on this show, but I'm still seeing him and thinking Chandler.

Something about the pacing just seemed off. The music seemed off. The whole show just seemed off, like it was trying too hard.

I mean, I liked it, I just kept waiting to LOVE it, and that moment never came. I'm hoping that the later shows get better.

Thoughts?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

OMG, you like Sports Night? I knew there was a reason I like you. :P

But I've never even heard of this new show. What channel is it on, and when?

NBC, Monday nights.

http://www.nbc.com/Studio_60_on_the_Sunset_Strip/

Looks like you can watch the whole episode online.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Since it got the most hype of all the new shows, I decided to watch it. At the end, I just though to myself "well, I'll give it another try next week." I'm thinking that Matthew Perry's character (along with his partner's) didn't get introduced until late in the show, and they're a couple of the "main" characters, so with them "available" for all of next week's show, it may be different. If it's the same as Monday night's, then I'm done.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

OMG, you like Sports Night? I knew there was a reason I like you.

Yea...and boobies have nothing to do with that. As if!:S

My boobies are not the topic of this thread. :P Feel free to discuss Amanda Peet's boobies, however. I fear they will be the only remotely interesting thing about her character. :|

I love all of Aaron Sorkin's work too, and was so looking forward to Studio 60, but it just did not have the quick wit/intelligent banter or spark that Sports Night, WW, etc. had. But I did like the connection between Matthew Perry's and Bradley Whitford's character.

Hopefully it will get better as it goes along...

As someone who can pretty much quote every episode of Sports Night and West Wing word for word, I agree with you to some extent. I actually thought the casting was perfect as usual for Sorkin. I even liked Amanda Peet. I do think the dialogue was a little "toned down" by Sorkin standards, but I also think there was quite a bit of potential. I liked it, but you are right, I didn't love it.

I had no problem getting past the Chandler thing with Perry. I thought he was fantastic in the 2 West Wing episodes he was in, so I didn't hold "Friends" against him.

I also thought Steven Webber's role couldn't have been cast better, and Brad Witford, well what can you say, its Josh!
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

I agree with the points in the OP. In this new show the dialog seems a bit forced and the way they addressed the subject matter gave me the impression they were trying too hard to be edgy.

Speaking of Sports Night, one of the funniest insults I've ever seen on TV was when Sam (Wm. H Macy) told the parent company "experts" to hit the road.

http://members.aol.com/sportsnightsite/gardnerscript.html
It's near the bottom. Just do a word search for Jim-bob.

J.J.

Sam, why did you bring us out here?

SAM

'Cause the exit's right there. That's
all. The meeting's over.

OK, so I watched the pilot episode recently on my DVR.

The pilot episode was more like an introductory paragraph to a novel, rather than the jolting first page that captures you. Soooo, I guess I'll have to watch another episode to get a better idea.

I wasn't too impressed with the pilot, sadly.[:/] Billy fell asleep and since I already have my show I watch w/out him and vice versa there's just not room for another.:D

I love Matthew Perry, though. Sometimes I think Chandler, but most of the time I just think super-cute!:$:P I thought he did great.

Amanda Peet also did a wonderful job, imo. (I didn't think she was awkward or out of place.;)) I've never been a big fan of hers, though. Something is always off about her performance. Not off enough where it's not believable or I don't like her, but just not as good as would be expected.[:/]

Overall, unless the next episode is completely enthralling I don't think it will be on my DVR any longer.:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Something is always off about her performance. Not off enough where it's not believable or I don't like her, but just not as good as would be expected.[:/]

See, that's EXACTLY what I thought about her on this show.

The pilot episode was more like an introductory paragraph to a novel, rather than the jolting first page that captures you. Soooo, I guess I'll have to watch another episode to get a better idea.

It's interesting that you say that, as Aaron Sorkin wrote that

Most pilots (including those for Sports Night and The West Wing) represent something of a typical episode. As you'll see if you come back next week, the Studio 60 pilot was more of a prologue.

at http://blog.nbc.com/studio/

I too will watch the second episode tomorrow and make my decision after that. I did feel like Amanda Peet was kind of out of place but I don't know if she'll fit in more in future episodes.

I too will watch the second episode tomorrow and make my decision after that. I did feel like Amanda Peet was kind of out of place but I don't know if she'll fit in more in future episodes.

One thing about Amanda Peet is she's always been in good movies (at least, imo) like Saving Silverman and Something's Gotta Give.

And you know what else?

She was in Something's Gotta Give with Diane Keaton who was in The First Wives Club with Bette Midler who was in The Stepford Wives with Nicole Kidman who was in Days of Thunder with Tom Cruise who was in Cocktail with Elizabeth Shue who was in Hollow Man with Kevin Bacon.

All good movies.:)
:P

Watched the second episode over my latte & bagel breakfast this morning.:)
Ehhhhh...:|

I like Amanda Peet much better in this episode and I LOVE her character.:)
I found the entire thing a bit predictable, though. I was hoping this show, given its premise, would be quite the opposite.

And Krisanne sees Chandler when she watches Matthew Perry. Well, I see the cheating boyfriend from Adventures in Babysitting when I see Bradley Whitford.:D Just kidding. But I did go through several video tapes of that movie when I was little b/c I watched it so much.:$

Anywho...the characters, too, have that whole Kevin Bacon thing going on--you know--Amanda Peet and Sarah Paulson together on Jack & Jill and Amanda Peet and Matthew Perry in The Whole Nine Yards and bring in the Sex and the City bald, jewish husband of Charlotte, The West Wing boys, one producer directed episodes of Friends, the other produced The West Wing, etc. etc. etc.:P

I had to look up the producers' histories, but the rest I pretty much knew off the top of my head. The cast is a little too "in the family" for my liking. It almost makes me feel a little dirty just thinking about it.:P I just think the show would have benefited from an unknown in one of the leading roles.

Anywho...I guess what I'm saying is...it was "a-ight".

:P

Haven't watched it, won't watch it till at least the weekend, so thank you for your spoiler-free post.

Everyone else? Please, no spoilage!

I watched it and thought it was ok I guess, but it was following up Heros this week. It was hard going from Heros(good, dramatic) to Studio 60 (funny). Seeing as I liked Heros a lot, (just into that genre) it really screwed studio 60 for me.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Well, damned if he hasn't sucked me in. I watched episodes 2 & 3 this week.

Fuckin' Sorkin. :D:D:D

Stacy London of TLC's "What Not to Wear" commented on several new shows' fashion.

I can't believe I didn't pinpoint it myself. Her issue with Amanda Peet on Studio 60 was her wardrobe fit that of a model/actress type and NOT of a major head of a television network or series or whatever (I forget what exactly she is).:P

"It's called a suit", London said. "Look into it.":D

I loved it! So true. I think that might just be the problem with her on the show.

I've been watching it Tuesday mornings during breakfast. Ehh....It's OK. But the 10/9 episode was better, I thought.:)

I'm sure her wardrobe is only going to get more interesting because I just read somewhere that she's pregnant .... unless of course they work the pregnancy into the show somehow, we're going to see baggy clothes and creative blocking and camera angles in a few months, I'm sure.

I actually remembered the show was on last night and watched it in my hotel. Not a bad one.

My fear is that they're going to manufacture crisis every week ... hope at some point it'll settle into a rhythm that is a little more "normal."

I like to watch my DVR'd shows for 20-40 minutes at 6:30 a.m. while eating breakfast...

Until something better comes on Monday nights (for Tuesday morning viewiing) I'll watch it. It has its witty moments that I enjoy but...just not super into.:(

I like to watch my DVR'd shows for 20-40 minutes at 6:30 a.m. while eating breakfast...

I almost forgot how to watch a show live. :D I had to figure out something to do during the commercials.