Snowwhite

Til the power goes out

I'm in Illinois. We are having rain, ice, and other crap. As it hits my house it freezes. The big maple tree in my front yard is losing chunks of branches weighted down by the ice. There is little to no traffic on the street in front of my house, which is usually very busy. I'm figuring today isn't good for much exept drinking and posting on dz.com, until the tree in my front yard takes out my power or cable lines. So, Captain and coke, or wine? I'm not up for skating over to the store to pick up some other choices.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

My kids all left for a party in Iowa about 2 hours ago. Not far from here, maybe 10 minutes under normal circumstances. But they have to cross the Mississsippi on a bridge that is about 3/4 of a mile long, and covered with about an inch of ice, and down a big hill from where they are. Bet they'll have a good story when they get here.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

SE Wisconsin here, Lake Geneva.
2 inches of snow last night, high winds last night and all day today. Could get interesting later.
Booze and the ch 23 (Rockford) traffic cams and I'm good to go.
My God I really need a life, can't wait for spring.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

I'm in Illinois. We are having rain, ice, and other crap. As it hits my house it freezes. The big maple tree in my front yard is losing chunks of branches weighted down by the ice. There is little to no traffic on the street in front of my house, which is usually very busy. I'm figuring today isn't good for much exept drinking and posting on dz.com, until the tree in my front yard takes out my power or cable lines. So, Captain and coke, or wine? I'm not up for skating over to the store to pick up some other choices.

I'm about an hour west of you. Took some photos of a few trees I can see thru the front window of my apt. Haven't had any power outages, yet....

:)
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Nights without power for miles and everything covered in ice (hopefully just outside) is surreal, when go outside you can hear crackling everywhere and everything sparkles. Hope it doesn't happen to you cause except for a few moments taking it in, it really sucks.
Edo
Concumbui
Aethrae Cernuare

SE Wisconsin, on the lake shore here. I think most of the precipitation is being blown further inland, but it's still very ugly out there. The whole building is shaking from the wind, and the waves are splashing, gradually building up these cool ice sculptures along the shore that had just started to melt in the past week. I'm not going out there.

Matt

I've heard about Ice Storms. They sound impressive, mean but impressive.

They are impressive. When I was a kid in northern Alabama, we had an ice storm that left 3 inches of solid ice on top of 4 inches of snow. It was called storm of the century for our area. Trees were ruined everywhere and body shops were busy for the next 5 months! :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Just looked out on the back deck. Combination of fine dusty and popcorn-sized flakes coming down sideways.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Ugh. It's switched over to snow. Local weather station:

A Blizzard Warning has been issued for northeast and east-central Iowa. Rain and freezing rain will gradually switch over to snow overnight with accumulations over 8 inches possible. This combined with winds over 45 mph will make for near-zero visibilities. Be sure to check the latest road conditions below. Traveled is not advised in much of Iowa.

Time for some Sparkling Lemonlime Yerba Mate.:)
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

The freezing rain just started 5 minutes ago.

What kind of cookies did you make?