BarbaraKobzik

SKI WEEKEND - recommendations much appreciated

Hi folks -

I guess a good amount of you go skiing from time to time, and hopefully can give me some good hints.
I live in Orlando, FL now, which obviously is not the best place for skiing. So, what would be the best place to go for a ski weekend?

Here are the things I am looking for:
- direct flight from Orlando
- fast access to the slopes from the airport
- not too crowded, so probably a place with many ski areas
- the obvious, like nice snow, beautiful landscape
- affordable places to stay / eat / lift tickets

The plan is to fly on a Thursday evening, from Orlando most likely to the West somewhere, then go skiing Fri, Sat, and maybe half Sun, fly back Sunday early afternoon.

What I heard so far is:
- Salt Lake City would be good
- Denver Airport is too far from the slopes
- There are some nice places in the Northeast, but nothing specific yet

So, friends of the cold and white, please come up with your recommendations, experiences, hints, it will be much appreciated. Thanks a lot,

Barbara
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's nice to be important, but it's much more important to be nice.

Ski or Board??

If Ski... Salt Lake definately!!
Head up to Alta. Best Skiing in the world in my opinion.. And best part is they dont even allow Boarders on the slopes at all thus helping keep the slopes in better condition.

Alta would meet all your requirements excpt for maybe Affordable place to stay.. If you are renting a Car, Just stay off mountian somewhere and dont worry about it.

Alaska Airlines has a direct flight to Seattle Daily out of Orlando.

Sea Tac is just an hours drive from ALL of the ski areas in Snoqualmie Pass..... White pass is two hours to the SE and Stevens Pass is 90 miles to the NE

One out of the way place you will not hear abou t too much nationinally is Mt Baker.. its about 2.5 hour drive from SEA TAC.. and has more snow than any place I can think of.. a few years ago.. all time record in the US.... OVER 120 Ft. Some of the ski lifts were running in troughs in the snow. I prefer Baker... less crowded than the others... and great snow.

Nice thing about the area here is its not as cold as the eastern Mts...and we have a LOT of snow.

http://www.summitatsnoqualmie.com/

http://www.stevenspass.com/

Conditions Base Top
Snow Depth 104" / 264cm 119" / 302cm
Temperature 24°F / -4°C 22°F / -6°C
Wind Moderate w/gusts Moderate w/gusts
Visibility Limited Limited
New Snow Depth
Since 4am 1" / 3cm
Last 12 Hours 10" / 25cm
Last 24 Hours 20" / 51cm
Last 7 Days 29" / 74cm
This Season 324" / 823cm

http://www.mtbaker.us/

New Snowfall : 14 in 36 cm
24 hour Snowfall : 24 in 61 cm
Temperature : 27°F -3°C
Weather : Snowing
Slope Conditions : Powder
Base at Heather Meadows : 181 in 460 cm
Base at Pan Dome : 192 in 488 cm
Operation Info : Normal midweek operation out of White Salmon Lodge.
Hours : 9:00 - 3:45pm

Ski, no board. "Board free zone" actually sounds good... (sorry, no offense, but I don't like hybrid jumps neither, sometimes it's just better to keep things separated, you can mix them later at the bar)

Any website you could recommend for Alta? Any certain ski area / ski pass you would recommend?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, but I am afraid Seattle is a bit far for the weekend, Salt Lake City is probably the max, even though skiing in warm weather sounds nice. I did that a lot in Switzerland, next to the Matterhorn, when I still was living in Germany. Great to ski on the glaciers, in t-shirt, in the sunshine, loved that.

http://www.alta.com/

Alta and Snowbird are Side by Side.. (Snowbird allows those pesky Boarders:P) You can get one pass for both Resorts But Personally I usually just stay with Alta. Snowbird does have alot more Double Blacks if that is your thing but Alta has plenty of Challenging slopes as well.

the Slopes at Alta have been perfectly groomed and the lightest Dryest Powder I have ever seen everytime I have been there. I love that mountain.

Slopes are exactly 33 miles from the airport. Rent a Car, Find a Cheap place to stay just outside of SLC on the way to the slopes, Buy just the Alta Lift Ticket (About $50 a day) and have Fun.

Yup Snowbird or Alta.
Go to the Red Iguana restaurant near the airport for some good chow.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Salt Lake would work, all kinds of hotels with good rates, discount lift tickets at www.canyonsports.com , if you need a 4-wheel drive get ready for sticker shock

Reno would work - quick access to Lake Tahoe area, Squaw Valley has good snow now

can't think of anywhere in the northeast that is easy to get to but not crowded on the weekends - too many big city folks taking quick trips

if looking for something other than a hotel try vacation rentals by owner www.vrbo.com

remeber that college spring breaks start soon
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

My girl works at Deer Valley and i just learned how to ski there. Very nice.

I went to Park City one day and it was nice but i like DV better.

Gonna try Alta when i go there next.

They are all within 30-40 minutes of each other os you can't lose, except it looks to be getting very war there this week.

DV park city and the canyons on one side, alta and snowbird on the other.

Just skiid my first day on the east coast today at a baby mountain near me. Utah sure was sick!

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I live in here in SLC, Utah. PM if you want any help or have any questions. I snowboard and ride mostly at Brighton but I do have a Tram pass to the Bird as well. As far as renting a car, I would save money and not go with the SUV. It's been a fairly tame winter and they keep the canyon roads very clear so anything front will drive will do just fine.

Thank you all very much. SLC it is. Just turned my frequent flier miles into tickets, leaving tomorrow night in 2 weeks for a long weekend. Car rental was excellent via Priceline (72$ all incl for 3 days), got a hotel (Sleep Inn) for 49$ per night in South Jordan, so that should be quick to get to Alta. Have all my ski equipment still in Germany, so need to rent. Any recommendations? Thanks again -
Barbara

Hi there,
thank you all very much for the great hints. We went to Alta and had a blast. 3 days of super snow and blue sky, everything was absolutely fantastic. The area is beautiful, great runs (pretty cool with all the powder snow and "nature" runs), access was easy (yes, our 72$-for-3-days-car didn't have any problems to get up there, the road was in great condition, thanks for the hint to save the money for an SUV). And no snow boarders !! Beautiful! :P
We definitely want to go back there, thanks again folks, that was a great recommendation.
Barbara

Barbara - We probably crossed paths. I had my crew from South Carolina there last week. We skied Alta, Solitude, Deer Valley, Park City and the Canyons.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Hello Bill,
We definitely plan to go back, it was all very convenient for a long weekend, no long distances to drive. Could you please compare all the ski areas (runs, atmosphere, environment, people,...)? We just skied in Alta and liked it very much, but I would love to hear more about the different areas.
Where did you fly out of? Direct flight?
Thanks a lot,
Barbara