Jeff.Donohue

Risk: Motorcycles vs. Skydiving

Any suggestions for a noob?

You don't strike me as the guy who needs to hear this, but my advice is :

TAKE IT EASY! A bike is a lot more fun when you and it are both in one piece. Stay safe and have fun. (too many people seem to think the two are mutually exclusive) Good luck on the search.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Something used, and some sort of cruiser. Beyond that, I'm just hunting through listings on Craigslist.

You've got the right idea.

Cheap and used, preferably all metal with no flashy plastic fairings. You're going to drop it (everybody does) so you don't want to take a thousand dollar hit when you do.

Cheap and used. Check Cycle Trader and your local paper as well. For the most part, don't buy off ebay.

When (or before) you go to buy the bike find out why he's selling it. Good reasons are: He's biker and needs the money to fix/buy another bike/house/whatever (you'll see other bikes in the garage ... he'll obviously know what he's talking about when he shows it to you ... bikers for the most part don't screw over other bikers) or, he bought it as his first bike and wife hates it and you're getting a good deal .... bad reason is: he's an auctioneer and got a for a good deal and is unloading it to you and never sat on a bike in his life (i learned the hard way when i was 19)

but, primarily, cheap and used. You should be able to get something for under two grand. I bought a '74 CB550 for $900 a couple years ago which still runs with just regular maintenance.

Also, old bikes are easy-easy-easy to work on. Get a maintenance manual, and learn to change the oil and all the fluids yourself. it'll save you money and you'll learn a lot. Old Hondas run forever. My CB550 sat unridden in the rain for four months (i was out of the country) and I put in a tank of gas, jumpers on the battery, and kick started it no problem. (I I don't personally know about other ones.)
This ad space for sale.

Oh and one more thing .... based on your original question....some others have said this too, and i'll reiterate:

the number one thing to remember, more important than anything else, is that everybody on the road is blind as a bat, drunk, and trying to kill you. Know where EVERY car is on the road at all times. Don't rely on your mirrors but turn your head to see behind you. Make eye contact with the driver if you're changing lanes and you're not positive he/she has seen you. Without sounding like a dick, women and old people generally don't watch the road. Rednecks are good since many of them ride and they'll give you space.

Some bikers like to keep a set of nuts (like nuts and bolts) in their shirt poket in case somebody is a bit too close). Bust their windshield or dent their hood. They'll learn.

Remember, everybody is trying to kill you. If somebody makes a mistake, whether it's you or them, the cage will always win.

And lastly, when you pass another biker, put your hand out sideways or nod your head if your hands are busy. It's the Wave. It's like Blue Skies for skydivers.
This ad space for sale.

Something used, and some sort of cruiser. Beyond that, I'm just hunting through listings on Craigslist.

Check out the dealer shops (H-D, Suzuki, Honda, Kaws) for good used trade in bikes. A good dealers shop will go through the bike and make sure everything is good to roll. You might even get some kind of warrenty for a period of time in case something goes wrong with it. If you buy from someone off of the street be careful. Take someone with you who knows bikes and have them look it over. Buy something that is fairly new but affordable as a first bike. You want something that is dependable and will get you home from wherever you may go. Stay away from old bikes that may nickle and dime you to death, unless, of course, you come across an old Knucklehead at an extremely unbelievable price. In that case, get ahold of me, I want it;).
No matter how you push the issue to your family, they will always worry everytime you roll out of the garage on it. Ride safe, ride as if they are all out to get you. Be courteous. Someone suggested throwing nuts and bolts!!! Don't do that! The last thing you need is to injure someone. I'm guilty of getting off my bike to kick someones ass at traffic lights when they cut me off. The last time I did that, I went to jail for assualt and battery. Throwing bolts will get you the same. Be the nice guy. If you are cut off and get a chance to speak to the person, let them know that we are out on the same road and to kindly keep an eye out for us. Enjoy your ride.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

2004 there were 4008 motorcycle fatalies compared to near 7000 deaths due Dr. handwriting for prescriptions. Statisticly you are safer riding a bike than going to the Dr.

That is a deeply flawed conclusion on a number of levels.

I seriously doubt there is any way you can honestly convince your family that motorcycling is safer than skydiving - it's not. There are far more variables oustide of your control involved in motorcycling.

Besides just looking at the fatality statistics, you might want to look in to the serious injuries that often follow a motorcycle wreck. Just last week a fellow forum member lowsided at a moderate speed, hit a street sign, and lost his leg. Another died at bike week after being hit by a car at a red light. Lots of people get very seriously injured, maimed, and paralyzed from motorcycle accidents every day.

Taking a safety course is a great idea. Follow up with the more advanced courses when you're ready as well. The instructors are great and you will learn a lot, guaranteed. If you get the chance, try a track day, it's a really fun way to learn the more intricate skills of riding without the worry of cars, cops, or deer.

Keep in mind that as a new rider you are even more vulnerable out there. The highest rise in fatalities over the past years involve people in their 30's and 40's with no prior riding experience who decided to take up riding (cruisers are dangerous too - that panel truck can't tell if your riding a Harley or a Honda). They're simply not used to staying that alert and concentrating on everyone else t h a t much. But that's what it takes to stay safe. There are way too many people talking on the phone, eating Cheese Doodles, or beating their kids in the back seat while driving these days. They just don't see you at intersections, on straights, while changing lanes, or while pulling out of gas stations. You will have one close call after another and it takes a while to get used to.

Bikes are lot of fun - just take it easy in the beginning and pay attention to everyone else on the road.

Good luck...and have fun

Z

Action©Sports

Much like skydiving I think that the risk is heavily biased towards how YOU act.

I ride a bike everyday and have found that it is tempting to use the bike to its limit.

Things like riding between lanes get you there quicker but up the risk immeasureably. My wife was undercut at 80+ Mph on the motorway - she very nearly pulled over to the slow lane to give the guy right of way because he was flying along. Lucky for him because I ride she knows that bikers do that stuff and checked first.

So long as you remember that NOBODY can see you EVER then you are pretty much alright.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I don't know how big/tall you are, but something that you can very comfortably flat foot, and that's light enough that you can easily control it if it starts to lean at a light or something.

Too much bike is much more likely to get you in trouble early than too little bike. There are times when you want enough power to get out of something. But for a lot of people, there are more times when you found the power getting you in a situation instead.

Take the class, buy the gear (including a mesh jacket for when it gets too hot for leather in the summer), and let your family see you preparing for a ride as carefully as they see you preparing for a jump. They still won't like it, but they'll know that you're taking it seriously, and therefore maximizing your chance of survival.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I love riding, but haven't in some time. I feel much safer jumping out of a plane among other people that have received a high level of training and have currency requirements than riding a motorcycle amongst teen-age boys that slept through driver's education and drive giant oversized pickups and 80-year-olds that can barely see, drive 50-year old tanks and think Eisenhower is still in office. I think the statistics back me up here - motorcycles are far more dangerous than jumping.

Maybe someday, I'll be rich, buy a few hundred acres somewhere and pave a road around it so I can ride a bike by myself with no other traffic. Only then will I feel as safe riding as skydiving. But I'll have a runway on it too B|

But then again, if my family tried to tell me not to ride, I would probably buy a bike and drive it to all their houses :P Once you reach a certain age, arguing with your family is no longer a requirement to getting what you want.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

as a rider and a jumper I believe that riding is much more dangerous than jumping. The MSF course is a good way to Minimize that risk but still. With jumping you have maybe 30 other people in the sky share that risk and most watch for you.

With riding you have a shit ton more people out there that arn't looking for you, feel safe in their suv and might need some body work done to their car if they do end up running you square over.

Hope so see you riding on the road.

***snip
Personally, I have never taken such a course and feel that I do not need one as I have been riding since age 5 (I'm now 47)

One of these days, take an advanced riding course. These courses, you ride your own bike. Not only are they extremely fun, you WILL LEARN something new.
I have pretty much the same experience as you, starting at 11 (now 51). You might be really surprised at what you do learn. If you go in with an attitude that you know it all, you won't, but with an open mind, you will learn some really good stuff.

Start out on something such as a small Sportster 883 or even something smaller. To many first time riders want to jump on the big Hog and only end up hurting themselves or someone else or the bike just scares them and it sits untill it sells.

I agree with starting with something smaller, but not a Sportster. While the power is less than an 88, or 96 now, and the weight is less, the CG is usually higher and the Sportster is, in fact, better suited to someone with experience.
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley