skydiverbry

Raw Eggs

I don't get why people can eat raw eggs yet we cannot eat chicken that is undercooked. This has bugged me for a long time. Please enlighten.

Eggs dont have decomposing bacteria in them dead flesh does, the cooking process kills most of the harmful bacteria
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

All I can say is commercial chickens are produced in what amounts to a urine and feces warehouse. At least eggs have an impermeable shell which stays intact until it gets to you.

The chicken on the other goes through all sorts of violent processing that lets the manure penetrate into the muscle meat.

Gracias. It always baffled me. I presumed that the salmonella was in the chickens bloodstream and presumed it would be passed on to the feotus/egg from the mother, so the raw egg thing always freaked me out. I still probably won't eat them though, but thanks for taking the time to explain it.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Eggs dont have decomposing bacteria in them dead flesh does, the cooking process kills most of the harmful bacteria

As per my response to Narcimund, I had presumed up till now that it was passed through the bloodstream to the egg. I was not aware that it was a function of the processing. Anyway, thanks for the insight.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

This is also why an intact hunk of meat is probably safe to eat raw (after carefully slicing away the outside) and why well-prepared steak tartare can be perfectly reasonable.

The issue is (largely) that the outside of the meat has traces of feces and other delights smeared on it. Put that hunk in a grinder and the whole batch of hamburger is contaminated throughout.

But slice away the outside of the same meat (washing the knife between cuts) and you've got something pretty decent to eat raw. Chop it fine, season with salt, pepper, anchovy, raw egg yolks, mustard, and worcestershire and you've got a beautiful dish to spread on crostini and garnish with cornichons and chopped onion.

A lot of cultures eat raw meat regularly: French, Ethiopian, Inuit, and Japanese come to mind immediately. They seem to do fine.

I think it largely comes down to butchering technique. Americans are obsessed with consolidated, mechanical, efficient factory food production. As much as americans would like to think otherwise, that doesn't lend itself well to the absolute hygiene that they're also obsessed with. It also guarantees that when a contamination error happens, it affects millions of people simultaneously.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

A lot of cultures eat raw meat regularly: French, Ethiopian, Inuit, and Japanese come to mind immediately. They seem to do fine.

It probably is perfectly fine. At this stage in my life i have grown up culturally on cooked meat (although I do like rare meat), so I will not likely get comfortable with raw meat, but yeah other cultures do just fine on it. As you pointed out our culture has become a bit squeamish about things that are harmless.

(although I do like rare meat)

It's funny but even the most squeamish among us often like rare meat. (And I'm not saying you're one of them.) I think that's a good sign though.

A beautiful 2-inch tournedo, seared dark caramel on the outside and blue inside is an incredible delight even for someone who didn't expect they'd like it.

And even hygiene-cowards seem to realize that the cooties are gone if the outside was roasted brown.

And who can turn down carpaccio?

IRRADIATION: Done to dead chickens to prolong their lives.

Particularly popular among Americans. In other countries, vegetables are more likely to benefit. By being radiated in this way, animals and plants receive what Christianity has so far been unable to deliver to humans -- an eternal shelf-life in supermarket purgatory.

Irradiation has pitted scientists, technicians, and the food produce industry against most farmers and health groups. In spite of the general public's naturally positive feelings towards chickens and vegetables, they may be tempted to react in a surprised manner with such simple questions as -- Why bother? What's the rush?

The answer apparently is that irradiation kills bacteria. The product, like Sleeping Beauty, is thus frozen in time. In the process, unfortunately, the chicken becomes an eternal ghost of the free-range, grain-fed bird. This is because bacteria aren't all that bad. To remove them is to remove the temporal and interesting aspects of life. That's what undertakers do to humans. Irradiated chickens are roughly the equivalent of mummified bodies in an open casket.

-- John Ralston Saul

Ok,Just some thoughts and opinion. Yesterday my son wanted me to make him some eggs. Being a smart ass I told him the just to eat them raw. Now I know that there is a high potential of food poisoning. But how bad are they really?I tried it in the past no taste,but it freaks people out. Any benifits? Didn't sleep all nite so this is the stuff that keeps running in my mind. Any opinions?
Bry

I "thought" that if you ate raw eggs you would find many of the egg protiens from the albuen (sp), the whites, in your urine.

I think you can digest more of the proteins if they are cooked first.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I "thought" that if you ate raw eggs you would find many of the egg protiens from the albuen (sp), the whites, in your urine.

I think you can digest more of the proteins if they are cooked first.

High Temps denature proteins so it would depend i think on how they are cooked.Proeins when metabolised are converted into Amino Acids
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?