stitch

Fun things to do in Lubbock, TX. on a Tuesday night?

No, it wasn't Scotty. Yes, he was crazy but the ol' kid I'm referring to was a Tech student and only came to the DZ a few times with their skydiving club. I think, he either droped-out or was asked to leave. He was always either wanting to or doing dumb-shit things.:D

Chuck

No, it wasn't Scotty. Yes, he was crazy but the ol' kid I'm referring to was a Tech student and only came to the DZ a few times with their skydiving club. I think, he either droped-out or was asked to leave. He was always either wanting to or doing dumb-shit things.:D

Chuck

Couldn't have been asked to leave. Sounds like he would have fit in with the rest of us degenerates.:D

Tubing, so easy a caveman can do it.

You guys are harsh, I still live here....
It is NOT as bad as you say, but you DO have to make your own fun. For instance, I went to Fox and the Hound last night and had a great time, so there. Oh, and by the way all who have not been here in forever, the City Council banned strip bars in the city limits, so they are all closed. Yes, Bible belt...
Stitch, did you ever find something to do???

And here I thought that the 23 months that I spent there were bad enough. I can't even fathom the horror of 20 YEARS.

Unlike you two, i have only been there once, and she wasn't worth it.;):D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

It's like Mac Davis said in one of his songs; "Happiness is Lubbock, Texas in my rear-view mirror!" :D
You could do what an ol' kid did a few years ago... B.A.S.E. jump off one of the grain silos.:D He showed-up the next day, at the DZ, looking like he'd been hit by a truck! When he told us what happened, I was rollin' on the floor with tears in my eyes. I do believe, the fact that he was seriously drunk at the time of his jump, saved his stoopid ass.

Chuck

I want to say his name was Matt. Everyone called him Hyperboy. He had less than thirty skydives at the time.

It was November of 1998. A week prior to Hyperboy's jump, a group of us had met a Norwegian BASE jumper named Petter at the PD Free For All at Skydive Texas. Petter developed something of a crush on the female president of the Texas Tech skydiving club, so he came and spent a week in Lubbock, the flattest city on the planet, where he proceeded to jump off of or try to jump off of every object over one hundred feet tall. He then allowed a (probably less-than-sober) twenty-five jump wonder to jump one of his BASE rigs (direct bag assist) off a one hundred thirty foot grain silo.

From what I recall of the video the hobbled Hyperboy was carrying around with him the following Sunday, he hit about a second after his canopy inflated. He had a broken foot, which had yet to be attended to by a doctor, but boy was he proud of that video.

I think that may have been Hyperboy's last jump. I don't think I ever saw him again after that weekend.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

It's like Mac Davis said in one of his songs; "Happiness is Lubbock, Texas in my rear-view mirror!" :D
You could do what an ol' kid did a few years ago... B.A.S.E. jump off one of the grain silos.:D He showed-up the next day, at the DZ, looking like he'd been hit by a truck! When he told us what happened, I was rollin' on the floor with tears in my eyes. I do believe, the fact that he was seriously drunk at the time of his jump, saved his stoopid ass.

Chuck

I want to say his name was Matt. Everyone called him Hyperboy. He had less than thirty skydives at the time.

It was November of 1998. A week prior to Hyperboy's jump, a group of us had met a Norwegian BASE jumper named Petter at the PD Free For All at Skydive Texas. Petter developed something of a crush on the female president of the Texas Tech skydiving club, so he came and spent a week in Lubbock, the flattest city on the planet, where he proceeded to jump off of or try to jump off of every object over one hundred feet tall. He then allowed a (probably less-than-sober) twenty-five jump wonder to jump one of his BASE rigs (direct bag assist) off a one hundred thirty foot grain silo.

From what I recall of the video the hobbled Hyperboy was carrying around with him the following Sunday, he hit about a second after his canopy inflated. He had a broken foot, which had yet to be attended to by a doctor, but boy was he proud of that video.

I think that may have been Hyperboy's last jump. I don't think I ever saw him again after that weekend.

That's HIM! Bwa-hahahahaha... Every time I think of that, I can't help but laugh. Thanks for that in-put. You're right, about him being proud of that video. He thought he was a real bad-ass, after that. He was a funny ol' kid. I used to get a kick out of watching him around the DZ. He just couldn't quite get the hang of packing a Manta. As I recall, didn't he always get the short end of the stick when it came to the 'club's' jump money? Seems like, there were two in particular who would jump their butts-off and ol' 'Hyper-Boy', got what, if any, was left. I kind of felt sorry for him.

Chuck

You guys are harsh, I still live here....
It is NOT as bad as you say, but you DO have to make your own fun. For instance, I went to Fox and the Hound last night and had a great time, so there. Oh, and by the way all who have not been here in forever, the City Council banned strip bars in the city limits, so they are all closed. Yes, Bible belt...
Stitch, did you ever find something to do???

So that strip club is no more-but think of all those poor girls who will never receive an education!......that was a real fun one too.......every year on my way back from vacation I would always time my passing through Lubbock just right for the club.........There is another one way out in the desert, but unless you like truckers and concrete floors and no main stage, I would not suggest it!:D:D:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Chuck

That's HIM! Bwa-hahahahaha... Every time I think of that, I can't help but laugh. Thanks for that in-put. You're right, about him being proud of that video. He thought he was a real bad-ass, after that. He was a funny ol' kid. I used to get a kick out of watching him around the DZ. He just couldn't quite get the hang of packing a Manta. As I recall, didn't he always get the short end of the stick when it came to the 'club's' jump money? Seems like, there were two in particular who would jump their butts-off and ol' 'Hyper-Boy', got what, if any, was left. I kind of felt sorry for him.

Chuck

Chuck:
He was a fun kid to be around only because he was an idiot. He would have jumped without a rig if we dared him to. not even 20 jumps, doing a low alt. d-bag base jump at night... he's lucky that a broken ankle/foot was all he got. That could have gone real bad, and Peter should have been kicked in the sack for putting the dumb sob up to it.
There was no "club money" that purchased any jumps. We all paid for our own jumps. I'm not sure what ever happend to him, but unless he got smart, he'd be lucky to be alive.

To the origional subject: What to do in lubbock. Go to the depot. If you are there on closer to the weekend go get some Ellis!!!! Best drunk food ever.
http://www.zlew.net/thoughts/?p=18
http://www.zlew.net/thoughts/?p=180

There are plenty of bars and clubs around. Tues. night is slow in any town, but there are always things to do.

Zach

Chuck

Chuck

Chuck:
He was a fun kid to be around only because he was an idiot. He would have jumped without a rig if we dared him to. not even 20 jumps, doing a low alt. d-bag base jump at night... he's lucky that a broken ankle/foot was all he got. That could have gone real bad, and Peter should have been kicked in the sack for putting the dumb sob up to it.
There was no "club money" that purchased any jumps. We all paid for our own jumps. I'm not sure what ever happend to him, but unless he got smart, he'd be lucky to be alive.

To the origional subject: What to do in lubbock. Go to the depot. If you are there on closer to the weekend go get some Ellis!!!! Best drunk food ever.
http://www.zlew.net/thoughts/?p=18
http://www.zlew.net/thoughts/?p=180

Y'all did have a club altimeter, though. I think that exhausted the club's annual budget for that year--Didn't it? :P

If I recall correctly, Hyperboy quit skydiving so he could save up his money for a crotch rocket. We can only hope he approached that hobby with a little more sanity.

According to one of the other Techerheads, he was a straight "A" student, so I guess maybe he was one of those rare individuals that got a double helping of intelligence and no helping of common sense.

Of course, these comments on common sense are coming from the guy who saw a fifty-year-old rig a retired skydiver was showing off at the drop zone and immediately blurted out, "I'll jump it." I learned from my hard landings, so maybe Hyperboy learned from his. ;)
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Douva:
You did some risky and bold stuff, but it was at least calculated. I think most of us who have spent time in this sport for a while get to the point where we look back and think....man, I'm not sure I'd do that again knowing what I know now....
Hell, I was right there with you on our night, no moon cross country in the black abyss that are the hundreds of square miles of plowed cotton fields outside of midland. Jumping old rounds, crazy night jumps and cross countries were risky...but nothing compared to not even being skilled enough to fall stable, and doing a night, 130 foot base jump at less than 20 jumps.

Z

That old round rig you jumped, I had thoroughly gon through, before you jumped it. The owner brought it to my shop and we pull-tested the material and etc., etc. I was really surprised at it's good condition, for it's age. All in all, I think, you added to the 'fun' at that ol'DZ. Yeah, you did some wild and crazy things but, I really believe, you were trying to 'cover your butt', the best you could. We had some real 'crazies' come through those hangar doors. In some little way, they all added to the 'personality' of that DZ.

Chuck

Suggestions??

Heh - you could have just cruised around the Texas Tech campus and try to pick up chicks.:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yeah, the rest of us may have pushed the envelope, but Hyperboy had the distinction of tearing right through it.

By the way, when I was in Lubbock for Christmas of '05, I had lunch with Tom Craighead, and he gave me that old rig I jumped. In the years since my jump on it, Tom had gotten it signed by a bunch of the old timers, including Lew Sanborn. It had been sitting in Tom's garage for a few years and needed some minor repairs. I got the repairs done, but I doubt I'll jump it again. If USPA ever gets the skydiving museum open, I'm going to see if they want it.