Twoply

Laminate or engineered flooring advice

I've put a lot of it in, but I've never seen it after it's been heavily used. Let me hear about how well or how poorly it's holding up. I'm considering it for my own house and I just dont know. The real hardwood is just out of my price range.

Thanks
Mike

I've put a lot of it in, but I've never seen it after it's been heavily used. Let me hear about how well or how poorly it's holding up. I'm considering it for my own house and I just dont know. The real hardwood is just out of my price range.

Thanks
Mike

I have it in my sunroom/dining room off my kitchen. I put it in about a year and a half ago. It's a HIGH TRAFFIC area as it accesses the deck and backyard. I have a dog and two cats as well. So far, no scratches on it from the dog (I can't say the same for the hardwood in my living room). The cats love to drop things off the table onto the floor and play hockey. No scratches from anything they've dumped down there.

I also have an area rug in there (it gets rather cold on your tootsies in the winter). I just rolled it up to wash the floor today and I thought there might be some wear on the flooring from the carpet and dirt and dust that gets under it but there's nothing.

I'd recommend it. For the price, it actually holds up quite well.

Good luck!
'Shell

I put the stuff from Sam's club in our kitchen/dining area and it has held up great for over a year now. That inludes two dogs that both weigh over 55 lbs. It is walked on literally by everyone that comes in the house. We put an oval rug under the dining table only because it rolled all over the place on the bare floor, but never scratched it. It is a real light color too.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am.

Do you guys know which kind you installed?

The laminate is a fiberous like pressboard with a skin coating that looks like wood and usually "snaps" or locks together somehow.

Engineered flooring is like plywood with layers of wood and a real oak, birch or maple layer on top. It can be free floating or glued down and some brands just interlock by tongue and groove.

Sorry I wasn't more specific.

Pergo brand is just about as expensive as say Bruce hardwood flooring. The Pergo allready has the undlerlayment applied on the back of the boards. You can get the Pergo in many differant colors as well as width's. We just installed Pergo in our home office, and in the next few weeks will be installing Bruce brand hardwood flooring over an allready existant hardwood floor (thats about 125 years old). The Pergo is free floating and does not need to be nailed or glued down to the subfloor. The real hardwood on the other hand needs an underlayerment as well as it is either installed using glue, or nailing. But, price it out and see where your best off. As far as i can tell they are close in price, but the real hardwood flooring will add more value to your home, then the Pergo. Good luck, hope that helps.
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

I put engineered hardwood in my family room about 9 years ago. 2 dogs, not enough care. The wood itself was Brazilian cherry (about twice as hard as oak). It's not as shiny as it used to be, but that's only because now it has a nice glow to it. Only a couple of discernable scratches.

I love it love it love it love it love it. It replaced some really nasty carpet. I'd have to say it's stood up really well.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I put the stuff from Sam's club in our kitchen/dining area and it has held up great for over a year now. That inludes two dogs that both weigh over 55 lbs. It is walked on literally by everyone that comes in the house. We put an oval rug under the dining table only because it rolled all over the place on the bare floor, but never scratched it. It is a real light color too.

I put my "Sam's Club" stuff in in 2003, and I'm still happy with it. Cat puke is easy to clean up, and the cat hair just sweeps up with a broom. It was dirt cheap. I live in an apartment, and I covered most of the floor area with it. The rest is tile. They paid for the supplies, and I did the work.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

I used to be a a Sales Rep for Quickstyle Floors here in Canada. Laminate flooring now last longer then those of even 8 years ago. Laminate floors offer more color selection then Engineered flooring.
It is tough to say which is better as these two flooring are designed for different purposes. (like comparing sabre 2's with Eclipses).
Engineer floor can cost more then actual hardwood. It is advisable to use engineered if going on top of concrete slabs. since engineer flooring used wood veneer for the top coat it doesn't have to color choices like lam.
If your installing to add value to a house that you'll be flipping then go with engineered. If not go with laminate flooring.
You will be pleased with either choices. Though Laminate flooring is easier on the wallet and that means more beers and jumps!!!

Mine is a laminate that looks like wood and snaps together. You have to watch it cause the pattern repeats. I had my wife look it over a second time as I laid it out. To be safe I glued the areas around the sink, back door and refridge. The only thing about buying it at Sam's is that you have to find trim someplace for doorways, etc. I found a real nice piece at a Habitat for Humanity store for 2 bucks. Did two doorways with it.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am.