karenmeal

Buying a Used Car

That helps a whole hell of a lot! If you have more tips that you'd be willing to type out I would appreciate it. Any tips for dealing with a private party?

Keep in mind that I am a fairly small, young, blonde girl and am car retarded. These guys are going to see me and will probably feel like it is easy to push me around and I don't know car lingo very well.. so if they start getting technical on me, well.. I'll be lost quickly.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

My tips for dealing with private parties are limited. In all the time that I was selling cars I never bought a car outright from an individual. Depending on the price range of the car, I would look at a dealership. I would have a hard time buying a car from a private party for the plain fact that the individual is trying to get more money out of the car than they would if they traded it in. The market appears to favor an outright purchase from a dealership, and here is why; When a wholesaler buys a car at the auction they invest a certain amount of money into a unit. The wholesalers are extremely careful not to get too deep into a car because then it becomes difficult for them to unload it. If they have to let a car sit on a lot for 90 days or more, they are losing a significant amount of money (most don't own the cars outright, they finance them just like you and I do). So the breakdown there is that they tend to make a deal on an old age unit that is unheard of, merely to get out from underneath it. The wholesalers also own the cars for significantly less than what the book value is (or they would never make any money), so it makes good business sense for them to let some of the cars go at a much lower profit margin if they can just turnover the units. If you can imagine paying interest on a huge note to just have the vehicles on the lot, you can imagine that there is a little bit of motivation to move the units.

Also, some of the units that they get a hold of are in incredible condition (moreso than the douche bag down the street), and they are inspected and repaired before going out on the lot for sale. The used car manager hates what are called "we owe's". It is another method of negotiation to get exactly what you want. If there is something wrong with the car and they are unwilling to move on the numbers than demand that the things that are found wrong on the vehicle are fixed. Anyhow, back to the point, the used car manager hates the "we owes" because the expense come out of the departments bottom line. So the wholesalers tend to buy good units that require very little repair. I think that is covered.

I want to point out that there is a caveat to all the info that I am giving you is that it pertains to reputable name brand dealerships. The bandit dealerships and buy-here-pay-here dealers are fly-by-night dont go there off limits type of stuff.

Bottom line is that if you aren't in a hurry to run out and buy something, you can spend a lot of time checking out literally hundreds of cars. Find the right unit (treat it as a product until it is bought and in your driveway, then fall in love with it), then drive a hard bargain. Salesmen also hate what is referred to as the 3rd wheel. Get someone to come along with you and talk shit the whole time ("that car isnt worth that" and stuff like "we can go to this other dealership") it puts a ton of pressure on the sales guy. I have even gone so far as to get one of the other sales guys to take them for an extended test drive so that I can negotiate a deal (I hate 3rd wheels>:().

The private individuals have less motivation to make a good deal on a used car. The dealers want to sell you a car. They are in it for the money, but they also have a reputation at stake.

Another thing for you to consider is to go to car dealerships after hours and look around. It gives you the opportunity to shop without the pressure of having a sales guy on your ass while you check out the vehicles. On every car there should be a sticker in the window that tells what the unit number, or stock number is. Write down the number and call the sales department and get info on the car without ever going in and being assaulted by the sales staff.

When you go on a dealership, be non-commital at first. They will be less apt to try to overprice a vehicle. A trick that we used was a code on the window sticker that told us what the book value was. By overpricing a little bit, it gave us the room to back out on the numbers without losing margin. If I thought that someone was non-commital I would try to entice them by pricing under the book value, then changing units (I am a devious bastard aren't I?:)).
The primary purpose of the Armed Forces is to prepare for and to prevail in combat should the need arise.

Well.. went.. found a nice car, checked out well.. couldn't get the guy to come down to my price and had to walk out. I was kinda sad, he was an old-time skydiver and seemed genuinely nice.

Maybe he'll call?[:/]

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Nice is a relative term in the world of sales. Right now the only thing that he is concerned with is getting a certain price for his vehicle. Don't worry about it, there are way too many vehicles out there to be upset after looking at one. The question that I have for you is: how much difference in price were you talking? $1000? $2000? Did he move at all?
The primary purpose of the Armed Forces is to prepare for and to prevail in combat should the need arise.

We were about 900 off. He moved 1,100.

He told me that they bought the car for 5,900 and that the lowest he could give it to me for was 6900. I wanted 6,000 and I said that if he came out and started jumping again I'd throw in some free videos and my ultimate brownies. He was a no go on that deal.:P

CRV looked great. Took it to a mechanic and he thought it was in really good shape, except for a few normal wear-and tear items. It probably needed a new timing belt, definitely needed new brake pads and new front tires. Beyond that, it was solid.

It had 121k and the lowest price the guy gave me was 6,900. This was a dealership..

Well.. went.. found a nice car, checked out well.. couldn't get the guy to come down to my price and had to walk out. I was kinda sad, he was an old-time skydiver and seemed genuinely nice.

Maybe he'll call?[:/]

Just make sure it has a functioning "Radar-Detector". :P
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

If you are $900 away, there shouldn't be a big problem finishing the deal. If he is protecting his margin, work towards the deal in other ways. Say that you will do the deal at $6400, but the dealership has to do a timing belt. Or $6900 and they do timing belt, brakes, etc. You are going to pay for those things eventually, may as well try to work them into the deal. I wouldnt buy it if they arent willing to move that last little bit though.

He has already moved 1100, there is the expectation that you will move also. He will do the deal but not for $5900. If you want that car, you are going to have to move... a little. See if that works for you at all, then let me know.

Oh, he should call you. If he doesnt, he isnt worth much as a salesman. If it was me, I would call you and either try to close on the car that you were looking at, or flip you to another car that is on the lot that matches what you are looking for.

I would do it at 6500 if they did the brakes, front tires and timing belt. But the lowest he would go is 6900 with them doing no maintenance.

I won't budge.. I've got what I've got and I'm not going to finance for a couple hundred dollars to close the deal.

I personally would never lose a deal over $900. But at the same time, he does have to make a living. If you arent skydiving today, go look elsewhere for other options.

Man! I am fucking wore out from looking for a car today!

Found one that I thought was nice, it was a '98 toyota Rav-4 with 90,000 miles on it but the guy wouldn't go below $7,000 for it. Maybe that was a good deal?

It had been in an accident (hit on the back right) and had a small amount of body work that had been done, but the mechanic thought that it looked really good overall. I offered 6,500 but he wouldn't take it.

We were only $500 off, are my expectations too high?

I dont know, but I am willing to bet that they are in the Rav-4 about $5500. They are kinda expensive. I just looked up some pricing in my area and those things are made of gold. You might want to think about finding a different car to buy.

I picked the rav-4 and the CRV based on the reviews from consumer reports. I would rather get one of those with slightly higher miles on it than get something else.

For 6,500-7000 what do you think are reasonable expectations that I could have for one of those two cars? Miles and year wise.

I think that a lower mileage 97 or higher mileage 98 Rav-4. They seem to be overly expensive, and for no reason. The CRV may be out of the price range.

Those two models are extremely expensive. Are there other models that you would consider? if not, you may have to bump up just a little bit in your price range. It is apparent that the market is willing to bear the over pricing. You may also want to look at dealerships away from the metropolitan areas. The smaller dealers will go a little farther to make a deal.

Keep on the same track and dont rush your purchase as much as you want to be done with the ordeal....buying a good used car takes time...alot of people end up "setteling" for something they dont really want or not in as good a shape as they want due to the frustration involved...keep at it.... your baby is out the somewhere.:)

I'm glad you said that.

I realize that I have high expectations, but I feel like with some patience, diligence and research, that I can get what I want. My boyfriend is of the opinion that I have passed up several very good deals and am just being unrealistic. Frankly, I'm the one who has been checking the blue book values, reading consumer reports and doing all of the research, so I feel like yeah, I'm lowballing them, but one of those good deals might come through very favorably for me and the time and effort will have paid off.

Sound to me like your going about this the right way....sure you may miss out on a "ok" deal or 2...but if your not pressed to buy right now..then why do so...like I said at 1st...get a feel for things and how it all works....I bet you will know alot more then the average person about purchasing a used car if you keep on this track.....

Too bad were not local to each other....in 2 hours I could have you making saleman think you are mechanic with how to go about checking a vehicle out. ;)

You dont need to know how to do your own timing belt ...but knowing the work being performed to replace one will keep others more honest with you.....knowlage is priceless.

Holy pot calling kettle black batman :o

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2728625#2728625

this one is soo bad you must have been on your 5th bottle of sherry :P

And psst.....I am sure you can tell by lack of edits to correct spelling that I dont really give a fuck as long as I believe that its close enough to get the message across.;)

Everyone has been giving you some pretty good advice. I'd like to offer an additional $.02, also look around in autotrader.com.

Doing so serves two functions: First, it will give you an idea of what cars in your market are really valued (vs. a dealer claim) and, second, you may find something you like in the process and forego the dealer.

A private deal can save lots of headaches too.

If a seller has all the maintenance records, and CARFAX report, you cover a lot of ground. Don't talk price until you're face to face.

That's one avenue.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

please do not buy the first one you look at.

For Example:
look at 5,10, 50 CRVs and do a comparision of the ones you liked best.

Milage is important
Condition is important
Price is important

the more you look at (and greater the area) , the better the chance of finding the perfect vehicle at the lowest price.

then look forward to throwing the steel/rubber/plastic machine away after it wears out (all cars do) and doing it again...all to get mostly back and forth to work...so you can pay for a car.