BMFin

Changing steeringlines

I understand some people have changed the lower part of their vectran steering lines to either thicker vectran or spectra, becouse of the difficulty to see the wear on the vectran.

What would be the best solution ? Change the whole steering line (only the steering line) after 200 jumps ?

I understand that the steering lines around the brake locking loop are most affected to wear becouse of the the guide ring exposure. But would only changing the lower steering line help enough ? Doesnt the guide ring also wear the part of the upper steering line equally around the brake locking loop ?

EDIT: Spell check

Usually, "lower steering line" refers to the line below where it splits out to the connection points on the aft edge of the tail. That would include all of the section that goes through the guide rings, brake locking loops, etc.

Kevin

Ok. I always thought "lower steering line" means the part of the steering line below the brake locking loop. What is the correct name for this part of the steering line ?

Lower steering line ;) AFAIK anyway. I call the bit between the brake loop and the cascades the upper steering line...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

If this is not right, hopefully someone will clarify.

The steering line from the toggle to the point where it branches out to the trailing edge connections, is called the lower steering line. This is one piece of line. The brake locking loop is spliced into this section of line. The upper steering lines are the branches that attach to the aft adge of the tail.

If this is not right, hopefully someone will clarify.

The steering line from the toggle to the point where it branches out to the trailing edge connections, is called the lower steering line. This is one piece of line. The brake locking loop is spliced into this section of line. The upper steering lines are the branches that attach to the aft adge of the tail.

On some canopies the 'lower steering line' you describe ends with the locking loop and another piece of line goes from there to the toggle.
I don't know what their proper names are...I just wanted to add to the confusion.:P

Either way, I replace everything up to the cascades with Dacron. It just doesn't add that much weight or bulk. I don't care that much about wind resistance at that level, and they last much longer and remain dimensionally stable.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ok. Thanks for the info. I guess dacron would be an option. I also read that precision uses dacron on the lower steering lines.

Here someone mentioned that vectran would cut through dacron
even though this wasn't very well argumented or proven.

I guess dimensional stability isn't as important regarding steering lines as it is with the line set overall.

How about Spectra ? I understand Spectra would be a bit more predictable in terms of wear, but not too thick.

I always prefer to match materials, different materials have different abrasive abilities and wear more on each other (So I've been told and read). Canopy to cascade is Upper Steering Lines (UST), cascade to locking loop is Lower Steering Line (LST) and from locking loop to toggle is usually called Brake to Toggle (BK-TGL). Depending on the construction of the locking loop and the cascade you can replace any section if made separately, not all canopies are made that way. I was always taught to replace both sides (A, B, C, D or steering) so that the wear (stretch or shrinkage) will be symmetrical.
Be Safe and Have Fun, in that order!
Tuffy

Ok. So how do you call the part between the loop and the toggle?

On all the canopies I've had (quit a few actually), the steering line is made up out of 3 separate bits: between toggle and brake loop catseye ("lower steering line"), between catseye and cascades ("upper steering line") and the cascades themselves.

I know there are canopies where the line between toggle and cascades is one continuous bit but like I said, I have never owned one of those. Maybe that's where the confusion comes from?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

How about Spectra ? I understand Spectra would be a bit more predictable in terms of wear, but not too thick.

Just remember that your brake lines will shrink a lot if you use spectra instead of vectran because of the friction caused by the guide ring. Personally, I think if you get your canopy relined when you are supposed to it shouldn't be much of a concern.

I understand some people have changed the lower part of their vectran steering lines to either thicker vectran or spectra, becouse of the difficulty to see the wear on the vectran.

You can/will notice the wear.

If you have 1050 lb Lowers, they should last at least 400-500 jumps.

The 750 lb about 300-400.

The names of the components are:

Upper Control Lines (The four That attaches to the Canopy)

Lower control Lines

and if you have loops instead of "Cat's Eyes" for the Brake Set, there is a third piece called the Toggle Line.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com