ACMESkydiver

NEW YORKERS help me out here...

I just bought tickets to the Mariners - Yankee game in the Bronx on Monday, May 7th for my beloved and I. He lived in NY for years, by NEVER got to see the Yankees play over there...

What can I say? I mean it's only $200 per person to fly Seattle to NY right now...I gotta jump on that! ;)

This is a surprise for his retirement, so I can't ask him about NY...I want to book a hotel in Times Square so we can walk around there over the weekend, but how far is Times Square from the Bronx? And what's the best way to get there? Cab? Should I rent a car? uh, subway? :|

Any 'must see' things? He took little Jaleesa to the Bronx Zoo when she was 2...he's not into museums...DEFINITELY want to see Times Square...mebbe Rockafeller Center? How much do I need to figure on spending for cabs/car/transportation?

Thanky! :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

The subway is absolutely the best way to go. I am not sure of the price but they sell certain metro cards specially for tourists who are around just a few days. www.mta.info will have a lot of good stuff for you. Renting a car or taking cabs will add up really really quickly.

Some Yankee fucker sitting next to me said "always subway" and "never take a cab"

Thats very little help but i did my part :D

Yea!!!

I can't wait to see NYC!! :)

I'm bringing home an 'I [heart] NY' T-shirt!!! :D
~Jaye

The subway is absolutely the best way to go. I am not sure of the price but they sell certain metro cards specially for tourists who are around just a few days. www.mta.info will have a lot of good stuff for you. Renting a car or taking cabs will add up really really quickly.

I'll check metro...

And this 'Essential New york' tour package thingy has a double decker bus and includes all of the loops...it's $94 per person, and it's valid for 48 hours, and also incudes entrance to the bronx zoo, ellis island, rockafeller tour...a bunch o' stuff.

I dunno, seems pricey though...
~Jaye

The buses are total tourist things. The subway can take you with in about a 3-5 block walk of about anything that you want to do in the city. The day passes rock, its like $7 per card for unlimited rides for 24 hours. We would hop it to go up a stop and then get back on after looking around since it didn't cost anything extra. The Subways go right to Times Square and all the major area's.

Look at hotels in the Time Square and you are pushing 400+ a night for a little 1 bed, cheap shower deal that is nothing to remember. You might find one cheaper but not by much. If you don't mind taking the subway you can stay elsewhere and hop it to get around.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The buses are total tourist things. The subway can take you with in about a 3-5 block walk of about anything that you want to do in the city. The day passes rock, its like $7 per card for unlimited rides for 24 hours. We would hop it to go up a stop and then get back on after looking around since it didn't cost anything extra. The Subways go right to Times Square and all the major area's.

Look at hotels in the Time Square and you are pushing 400+ a night for a little 1 bed, cheap shower deal that is nothing to remember. You might find one cheaper but not by much. If you don't mind taking the subway you can stay elsewhere and hop it to get around.

I'm on the phone with Priceline right now and I found the Hotel Mela, 4 stars, 1 block from Time Square, 3 nights including airfare for $1130. Not bad!! B|B|B|

I will skip the bus and go subway.

I'm SO EXCITED!! :)
~Jaye

Subway is the way to go. The #4 train, as well as the D trains make stops at 161st St./Yankee Stadium. From times square hop the S or 7 to 42nd st./Grand Central and treansfer to the 4. Or hop on the 1 or 9 down to 34th and get on the D train. Either way it's approx a 1/2 hour to the stadium.

If you are positive you want to stay in Times Square just know that you will be paying a ton more than staying nearly anywhere else. It's very easy to get to Times Square if you stay anywhere else-not to mention it's loud and bright ;)

The see all you can passes are alright, but depending on what you want to o while you are there, it sometimes is cheaper and makes more sense to just pay for the admission at the places you want to go.

Let me know if you need any other info-I just moved away from NYC after Christmas last year :)

*daizey*

The cloisters is a cool museaum. Just take the A train to 192nd street and take the elevator up. The park there feels like you are miles away from manhattan
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I'm bringing home an 'I [heart] NY' T-shirt!!!

You should show you really love New York City and bring home a "bag-lady". :o:P
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I want to book a hotel in Times Square so we can walk around there over the weekend, but how far is Times Square from the Bronx?

I used to work in Times Square. Super 8 hotels are pretty cheap in Times Square. That's located on 46th street between 5th & 6th Ave. If money is no object there's also the Westin on 43rd street and 8th avenue. A lower scale and cheaper hotel is the Carter hotel on 43rd street between 7th and 8th Ave. Another fancy shmancy place is the W Hotel on 47th street and broadway. There's also the Milford Plaza located on 8th Avenue between 44th and 45th street. The Marriott Marquis is on 45th street between 8th Ave & Broadway. There's also the Pennsylvania Hotel located on 8th avenue on the corner of 34th street. There's also the Hotel New Yorker on 34th street between 8th and 9th Ave. It's about two blocks away from the Empire State Building.

And what's the best way to get there? Cab? Should I rent a car? uh, subway?

The best way for me to get there would be the subway. I've been riding it everyday for over 25 years. An out of stater renting a car and driving in NYC? Not a good idea. Traffic can be very intimidating if you're not an aggressive but safe driver. What's more, traffic will kill your mood. If the Cross Bronx Expressway doesn't kill you first. From Times Square, on 42nd and 7th Ave, you can take the 1 train heading uptown and get off at 59th Street Columbus Circle. Then you can transfer to the D train heading uptown and get off at 161st Street/Yankee Stadium. Honestly, if I were you, I would take a Livery Cab, it's a private car service, not the yellow cab. You can arrange for the Hotel that you're staying at to reserve it for you. They charge you flat fees from zip code to zip code not by time or distance. It's usually a lincoln town car or a ford crown victoria. Your ride will be less stressful and you can relax and not worry about much.

Now getting around Times Square is pretty easy. You can walk from Times Square to Rockefeller Center, which is on 59th street and 6th Avenue. Then, you can take a walk down to 51st Street and 5th Avenue to see St. Patrick's Cathedral and some shopping on 5th Avenue. If you're ever going to take a yellow cab, make sure you don't take it between the hours of 8am to 10am and 5pm to 8pm.

That's about all the free information you're going to get from me. Seriously, if you need any more info, just ask. Good luck, enjoy your stay here in NY. And try very hard not to look like a tourist, I mean that seriously. Blue skies!

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

Do NOT rent a car. There's nothing in the city to drive to and parking is outrageous! You can get there on public transportation ($2 per ride or a $7 day pass). Cabs---NOPE...those are for suckers. The traffic here doesn't move!

About the double-decker bus, I've never been on one, but there are subways that can take you right to the same 'sites'.

Subway maps can look intimidating but from Times Square you can get anywhere in the city by subway. Have a great time and I hope you get good weather when you're here!~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

Do NOT rent a car. There's nothing in the city to drive to and parking is outrageous! You can get there on public transportation ($2 per ride or a $7 day pass). Cabs---NOPE...those are for suckers. The traffic here doesn't move!

About the double-decker bus, I've never been on one, but there are subways that can take you right to the same 'sites'.

Subway maps can look intimidating but from Times Square you can get anywhere in the city by subway. Have a great time and I hope you get good weather when you're here!~~April

Awright!!! :)
Now I just hope that Priceline deal holds out 'til Friday!! :)

I'll get a replacement card on Friday (rush ordered it). I'm a dork. :P
~Jaye

Born and raised and live on 14th and Seventh. STAY in Times Square you will LOVE it...you're a tourist! AND, you won't pay that much more than anywhere else in the city. Go on HOTWIRE, you'll get the BEST deals there...trust me on that and ANY hotel 3 or 4 stars will be great--spend the extra and get the 4 stars.

Here's a subway map, you'll need it. Also, staying in Times Square is SO convenient with access to all the other subways. Take the subway to Yankee stadium--per Daizyes instructions. And have fun on the double decker tour (the downtown one) it's only like $34/per person for the day--don't do the $94 dollar thing...that's a waste...and there's better things to do. You'll love the double decker, it's really informative and you see a LOT in a short amt of time AND you can hop on/off anywhere!

PM me if you want to chat offline.
-Crystal

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Here's the link to the subway, i forgot to post. Take a tour of the NBC Studios--if that interests you, have dinner at Flor de Sol in Tribeca--my favorite Spanish restaurant in the city...get the sangria and for tapas get "pollo villaroy and patatas bravas"

Go to the top of the Empire State Building--I recently went there and it was SO cool to do again, take a walk down Canal street for all the knockoff purses and wallets, walk thru the east village on St. Marks place to shop for trinkets and crazy T-shirts...Have dinner in Little Italy or Chinatown. Don't spend too much time at the WTC...as there's nothing to really see...

OH, a GREAT HOTEL downtown is the Millenium--I got it on hotwire for a friend once for cheap! Take a cab over the Brooklyn Bridge and walk back over to Manhattan. Visit Central Park--take a walk to the fountain...Oh, and wear GOOD shoes.
-Crystal

Cabs---NOPE...those are for suckers.

Cabs are for suckers? Why would you say that? Tell that to the million of NY'ers that take it everyday or as their daily commute.

I can take a cab from 45th street and 3rd ave and get off at 6th street and avenue A for less than $12 and get there in less than 10 minutes.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

My daughter and I were able to figure out the subway, you should be able to also.

We enjoyed Battery Park, Central Park, The Natural History Museum and taking a boat tour that went down around the Statue of Liberty. Do the boat tour in the afternoon, it gives you a nice break from walking and is quite informative. Save money to haggle for stuff on the streets, that's what my daughter enjoyed the most. She came back with about 8 purses!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

My daughter and I were able to figure out the subway, you should be able to also.

We enjoyed Battery Park, Central Park, The Natural History Museum and taking a boat tour that went down around the Statue of Liberty. Do the boat tour in the afternoon, it gives you a nice break from walking and is quite informative. Save money to haggle for stuff on the streets, that's what my daughter enjoyed the most. She came back with about 8 purses!

You said that your daughter and you could figure out the subways. You had a distinct advantage; you had a kid with you -they can figure out anything. Ask my 10 year old; she is putting together the powerpoint/slide show/movie for daddy's surprise party. :D:P

Joe grew up in Long Island...I'm sure some of it has got to come back to him, though he left when he was about 12 or 13...

He did go back with the Sprout when she was a 2 year old baby...so we'll see what he remembers. :)
Dang I am SO STOKED!!! This trip is s'posed to be for him, but dang I can't wait to go!! B|B|B|
~Jaye

If your coming to New York you need to eat here:

Tao

(subway-4,5,6 [green line] at 59th St & Lexington Ave.... N&R [yellow line] at Fifth Ave & 59th/60th St or Lexington Avenue at 59th St.

order this appetizer:
Edamame $7
Satay of Chicken with Peanut Sauce $7
order this dessert:
Giant Fortune Cookie $10.00
Fuji Apple Spring Roll $8.00

Then Drink Here:

Playwright Tavern & Restaurant
202 W 49th St
New York, NY 10019
Tel: (212) 262-9263
(this is an irish pub)
"I'm going to marry my novels and have short stories for children."

BLuE sKiES & aPpLE PIeS oh and I'm "M" A-ZIng

Cabs---NOPE...those are for suckers.

Cabs are for suckers? Why would you say that? Tell that to the million of NY'ers that take it everyday or as their daily commute.

I can take a cab from 45th street and 3rd ave and get off at 6th street and avenue A for less than $12 and get there in less than 10 minutes.

For a commute that makes sense--if you have to take the Lex then go over to ave A and 6th it would be a pain to walk over or even more time to take the bus. Most people you see in cabs have a specific time to be somewhere. For a tourist, its not the best way of getting around as it gets costly and midtown traffic doesn't move, much less allow you to turn on certain side streets.~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

Awright, sounds yummy!!! :)
So UPDATE: we're gonna be staying at the Hotel Mela right in Times Square...oh happy day! B| We can walk to everything! And we won't have to worry about times for a subway or a cab or a shuttle when we want to get back to our room -we can walk back. :P

And with the subway being right there...we'll be a hop skip n' a jump from anything else. And the Hotel Mela is s'posed to be pretty nice I guess...it says it's a 4 star rating, and it's a 'boutique' hotel, so I guess it's a small one which will be kinda nice, too. :)
-And with Priceline (Travelocity had the same rates, too), it was the same price as the cheap hotels outside of the city; even with a military discount. Gotta love that! B|

I am so excited, I can hardly contain myself!! I just need to be SOOOO careful about receipts and email confirmations and the like...I mean, crap I'll be ticked if he finds out my marvelous gift before we surprise him on the slide show. :S:D
~Jaye