steveorino

website got hacked -- now what?

I've use Hosting Matters for a number of years now. They're a bit more expensive than places like GoDaddy but their service is top-notch. (I've heard GoDaddy's service is top-notch actually too, but I ran a site for a little while off of them, but overall I'm quite happy with HM).

As for preventing getting hacked you need to make sure the scripts you have on the site are properly written and secure.

I'm a programmer but not a security expert. I can point you in the right direction, but if it's going to be a major site, you'd want to talk to someone who knows more.

Can you find out how they got in? If it was through a flaw with the hosting provider, definitely switch. As a minimum, even if the provider, said sorry, they should be able to provide a backup from a few days before. That's just expected.

If you're looking for a new place, I can personally recommend HostingMatters.
This ad space for sale.

Just curious, who is your hosting company and were you using a CMS?

I've been working on some websites and try to keep them clean and it takes constant updates of any programs I'm running on them.

http://cp.worldispnetwork.com/psoft/servlet/psoft.hsphere.CP

What is a CMS? I usually upload to websites using a FTP software

steveOrino

What were the scripts that you were using to power it?

Looks like they have scripts to attack ZenCart, a few different forum scripts and one to attack a photogallery. It also looks like the Turkish hackers have been targeting ISP's and hit SecureServer.com and GoDaddy.com last year hitting about 70000 hits in two shots that way.

I'd look at the scripts you were using and possibly at moving hosts. I like Dreamhost.com for my sites. Its fast, cheap and as long as you don't need to call them for support they have a ton of free stuff.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The Turk's are pretty well known for defacing site. There are a few dozen groups that compete among themselves to deface the most sites. Simple defacing will almost never result in the feds getting involved. In fact most hosts just fix the issue, restore from back up and keep on going since the attack is almost always done via a script and the IP's are spoofed or are coming from another hacked server so trace logs are useless.

Steve, you need to figure out if it was your own fault for running a program on the page that had a hole in it or if the host wa the one that had their systems compromised. If its your own issue, then you are left hanging in the wind. If it was the host, then cancel your contract and move to a new one.

If anyone is looking at Dreamhost PM me for a review. I love them but they do have their faults.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm pretty much a graphics guy. I have no clue on the other stuff.

:D:D:D:D:D
Oh really?????

That's posted on the board at The Farm. I'd seen it before, but still got a good laugh. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm pretty much a graphics guy. I have no clue on the other stuff.

:D:D:D:D:D
Oh really?????

That's posted on the board at The Farm. I'd seen it before, but still got a good laugh. :D

I must finish the last page on that online book. It will end with Rooster soaking in a tub at the Farm. B|:$

steveOrino

...They changed the NS servers (or what ever they are called)

Steve...always tip your servers as any decent diner would do.

Oh...may I suggest:
Rooster would more likely be soaking in the swoop pond.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

What is a CMS? I usually upload to websites using a FTP software

CMS is short for "Content Management System". It's a database run by php and makes website stuff a whole lot easier. The big ones usually do a good job about keeping up with security threats and putting out updates. Making a new page or adding something to a site (once you have it set up) is as easy as sending an email. If you like graphics, but don't like code, I would highly recommend it.

I've used http://www.Joomla.org and been really happy with it, and then for hosting, I've used Dreamhost and been very happy for the price and ease of use. I can't say they are "top dog", but for the price and free stuff, it's worth it. (I'd PM whoever above that mentioned Dreamhost for their review too).

Here's the sites I've used these services for and I am no graphics person, so keep that in mind.

http://www.collegeskydiving.com
http://www.gtskydive.com
http://www.collegeskydiving.com/clemson

PM me if you have any other questions. I had to learn this from the ground up, so I can explain things fairly well.
Ben Lee
www.CollegeSkydiving.com