Scoop

We've had an earthquake!

I suppose I'm 30 miles away from the epicentre which was in the English channel but it did wake me up. It was like a huge lorry was driving past but strangely I couldn't hear any engine :S I just thought it was one of those weird moments you have when your half asleep, like when you think your going to fall over then realise your actually lying down safely. I put my head on the pillow and went straight back to sleep thinking nothing of it. lol

Bit odd though. I didn't know we had that sort of activity in this part of the world.

Pffff, 4.3 and your gas is out?

We had a 7.2 in Queenstown a couple of years ago and only the stock was shaken off the shelves in stores !no structure damage at all!

I have been in many small earthquakes. Small earthquakes are good they make large ones unnecessary!

;)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

We don't have earthquakes round here, its terribly un-british you know old chap. Just not used to it. I think the worst extent of the damage is shaken a few chimneys off which have damaged cars. Power is out for a lot of people too

It lasted about 6 seconds. Just enough time for my kids to jump a few feet into the air with fear - we're just not used to such things here in the garden of England! Everyone in my street rushed outside in their jim-jams, looking at their houses to see what had just crashed into it, or what had just fallen off.
I've heard hundreds of sonic booms in my time, I've even felt a number of earthquakes. This sounded and felt like something more sinister because of the shock-wave that shook the windows and knocked stuff off shelves. But what do I know - isn't nature wonderful! The only structural damage I can see is a nice new crack in my garden (brick) wall. Lots of roof damage near by though. Lucky me.

Everyone in my street rushed outside in their jim-jams,

So, what qualifies as "jim-jams?" I love that term! I want jim-jams of my own. ;)

But what do I know - isn't nature wonderful! The only structural damage I can see is a nice new crack in my garden (brick) wall. Lots of roof damage near by though. Lucky me.

Glad you escaped without any more damage than that. It could've been expensive.
TPM Sister #102

Everyone in my street rushed outside in their jim-jams,

So, what qualifies as "jim-jams?" I love that term! I want jim-jams of my own. ;)

But what do I know - isn't nature wonderful! The only structural damage I can see is a nice new crack in my garden (brick) wall. Lots of roof damage near by though. Lucky me.

Glad you escaped without any more damage than that. It could've been expensive.

Could have been expensive AND embarrassing. Thank goodness I remembered to throw some shorts on before going outside - I don't wear any jim-jams! :$

Where are you then mate? I am in Ashford, hence the minimal disruption and going straight back to sleep :D

At the centre of the universe :S, well..., very near the epicentre of this earthquake anyway, in Folkestone. Couldn't have stayed in bed if I'd wanted to - too many house alarms shrieking merrily away.

Hope everythings alright. Mysteriously we had water dripping through the ceiling today and have had to shut the water off. Maybe we can blame the earthquake so we can claim on the insurance :) Plumber is £75/hour :|

I bet the locals have been eagerly looking out to see if Dave the Dolphin is OK :|:D

Hope everythings alright. Mysteriously we had water dripping through the ceiling today and have had to shut the water off. Maybe we can blame the earthquake so we can claim on the insurance :) Plumber is £75/hour :|

I bet the locals have been eagerly looking out to see if Dave the Dolphin is OK :|:D

I heard a rumour that Dave the Dolphin scarpered just before the quake shouting, "So long and thanks for all the fish". Or did I just dream that.:D

(Apologies to Douglas Adams)

I remember the one in 2002 in Derby.
That was a bit of a shock, but with living in NZ now its alomost a daily occurance.

There were 3 in one day in Auckland not so long ago, but they were all little ones. Only manageing about 4.1 on the scale.

I could only tell from my laptop screen shuddering on the table top.
Didnt really feel anything. Felt more in the 2002 one

www.myspace.com/durtymac