DougH

Universities and book publishers, fawkers!!!

[rant]I love the racket that the book publishers and college books stores pull.

The beginning of the semester I go to purchase a needed book, and they are all out of used copys. So there goes 180 dollars.

I go to sell the book back, and they aren't even purchasing it. In fact they knew in the beginning of the semester that it wasn't going to be bought back.

I sure am glad that the book store decided to buy a bunch of new stock instead of old, with the knowledge that it was going to be a paper weight in three months.

Now granted they can't supply ALL used books, but they only ordered about 20 of them for a class with about 200 kids.
[/rant]
>:(
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Sounds like a chance for someone to start a business.

I was thinking the same thing. And for what it's worth, the book publishers only deal in producing the books based on the amount(s) ordered and have nothing to do with your college book store having them in stock(or not).
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The beginning of the semester I go to purchase a needed book, and they are all out of used copys. So there goes 180 dollars.

I go to sell the book back, and they aren't even purchasing it. In fact they knew in the beginning of the semester that it wasn't going to be bought back.

That does suck, especially with hefty science/ engineering/ mathy type books.

Seriously though, you're lucky that your department can even communicate effectively with the bookstore. Not once in 4 years have I been able to get all my core texts from the uni bookstore even a month after term starts and every time the department swore blind they'd told the bookstore to order them in. Thank fuck there's Amazon huh:S
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I'm with you there. I spent over $600 for books (they were all out of used when I bought them B|) and they're not taking any of the expensive ones back - new editions coming out. Never mind the fact that the professor's don't care if you use the current or previous edition. >:( *sigh*

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I still have every Text book I bought in Uni, and over the last 10 years I had occassion to go through quite a few of them. They are after all REFERENCE materials;)

Also if you dont want to buy the text book, most Unis have a really big book loaning building, ...cant recal the name of it a present though:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Refrence materials have to be up to date, unless you are studying something that never changes, like calc!!!! :ph34r:

(apart from computinng) Almost all Uni UNDERGRAD courses deal in concepts and most of those concepts are reasonably static for some perdiod of time.
Very Very few undegrad courses are so evolutiuonary that the common text would be redundant after a few years
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?