Blink

Making freefly pants?

Yeah I didn't think it would be too difficult when I started making my new suit several years ago. It actually took me several hundreds of dollars and two years to come up with one that would work. (RW bootie suit) When I finally wore it on the DZ everyone wanted me to make theirs too. It became a snow ball rolling down hill really fast.

You might want to invest in an industrial sewing machine and use some "E" thread on your suit/pants. Regular thread just doesn't work to well in freefall for very long. Also the industrial machine will sew through the nylon/spandex/cordura/leather/binding tape better than the "Susie Homemaker" machines.

Good luck! B|

My wife made me some single layer freefly pants. She is an expert seamstress. It took her 12 hours to make them from a 80/20 cotton/poly blend.

I would suggest buying some basic pants. It will be cheaper and less time consuming in the end. And they will no doubt last much longer. My Tony freefly pants are about two years old now and still look good.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

I’m making my third free fly pants right now. I started copying one of my favorite cargo pants which I think was a good way to start, but now I’m using patterns that I drew according to my measurements. I haven’t tried with nylon, only with cotton so I can’t give you any tips on it. The basic sewing is not complicated but you need to plan ahead the sequence to sew each panel (I learned the hard way). Pay attention to seam allowance and clean-finishing (i.e turning the edges under and stitching).
If you use cotton, check if you have to pre-shrink the fabric (I have just washed my pants and can’t wear them anymore).
Here are a couple of pictures from my previous ff pant (the ones that I can’t wear anymore). I have to admit, my home made helmet turned out much better.[:/]
http://quattorcsi.dyndns.org/resende-20060826/68.html
http://quattorcsi.dyndns.org/resende-20060907/31.html
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Thanks, I may try that also:P
I don’t think cotton X nylon would make a huge difference for pants, especially if you don’t make them too baggy.
BTW, don’t forget to sweep the floor and clean the mess once you’ve done (this is the worst part):D
Safe skies!

Ronaldo
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted